The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 5,733
Default Howard Emerson new composition

Just finished this a couple of days ago, and made a rough pass to help work the piece into shape.
I just love frailing! I hope you enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/k1zDZPK1AX4Regards,

Howard Emerson

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 11-14-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:15 PM
islandguitar's Avatar
islandguitar islandguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,877
Default

Love it!! It has that "Howard vibe".....great groove......great stuff. Love the chord change at 1:38, what a treat to the ears.
Your style is so unique, smooth and identifiable.....just super, Howard.
Fred
__________________
1993 Bourgeois JOM
1967 Martin D12-20
2007 Vines Grand Concert-Cedar/Quilted Sapele
2014 Doerr Legacy-LS Redwood/Cocobolo
2014 Bamburg FSC-Carpathian Spruce/Macassar Ebony


www.soundcloud.com/island-guitar
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Nailpicker Nailpicker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,527
Default

That was foot-tapping nice. I liked it a lot.

I must say I'm a little jealous of your right hand fingernails. I usually have very strong nails that I leave longish and shaped for playing, but lately for some reason, they've been chipping and somehow I ripped my middle finger nail twice in just the past couple of weeks.
__________________
"To walk in the wonder, to live in the song"
"The moment between the silence and the song"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Kerbie Kerbie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,649
Default

Excellent, Howard... I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 5,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Love it!! It has that "Howard vibe".....great groove......great stuff. Love the chord change at 1:38, what a treat to the ears.
Your style is so unique, smooth and identifiable.....just super, Howard.
Fred
Fred,
Thank you so much for the kind comments! I hope they all sound different, but with my 'stuff' sprinkled on 'em.

The 'kernal' of the piece is around 10 years old (the V chord section that leads into that VImin transition you like), and recently I was playing on my Telecaster, and it was mmmmm.....okay, doing something, but nah.....and then I Found The Frail, and I've frailed on & off for years but never incorporated it into a piece.

The dam cracked open, and when I got the release part happening at 2:02 I got really excited.

After that it was a race to find the 'final' arrangement before my wife went looking for a sharp object. If she thinks that's bad, though, she should hear what goes on in my head when I'm 'editing'.............Give me tinnitus any day......oops.....I already have that, but I digress......

Thanks again!

Howard
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 5,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
That was foot-tapping nice. I liked it a lot.

I must say I'm a little jealous of your right hand fingernails. I usually have very strong nails that I leave longish and shaped for playing, but lately for some reason, they've been chipping and somehow I ripped my middle finger nail twice in just the past couple of weeks.
And you can have nails just as beautiful.

I've been gluing tips on forever. I stopped getting the acrylic powder stuff over the tips a long time ago. The tips & Crazy Glue brush formula works just fine.

I use a Pro-Pik Fingertone on my ring finger because I can get just the right amount of angle & bite, and I never have to frail with that finger.

Now I understand that a lot of people are not down with the glue, etc, but it's what I've done since about 1992 or so.

I'm glad you enjoyed the piece!

Best,
Howard
http://howardemerson.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 5,733
Default PS to the mod squad

If anyone could actually put the youtube as embedded I'd appreciate it.

I tried wrapping the link, yada, etc, but........

Thank you kindly.

HE
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Kerbie Kerbie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,649
Default

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 30,726
Default

Very nice Howard! I really like that and it does have your characteristic sound, as hard as that might be to define! I gave you a "thumbs up" on your YouTube channel!

- Glenn
__________________
My You Tube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,784
Default

Lovely!!!!
__________________
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:15 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 21,478
Default

That was good Howard. I like that bounce.
__________________
.
.

My signature stuff.....


Barry

Waltz For Rebecca:


Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/barry329

Gibson J-45, Guild D-55, Guild D-120ce, Larrivee OM-05, Martin D-16GT

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk, Washburn D-10s, Lucero LC-100
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:30 PM
mesa mesa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,988
Default

Lovely Howard, really enjoyed that! Steve Barney must have been listening to you. I can hear you in some of his tunes. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 PM
islandguitar's Avatar
islandguitar islandguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Fred,
Thank you so much for the kind comments! I hope they all sound different, but with my 'stuff' sprinkled on 'em.

The 'kernal' of the piece is around 10 years old (the V chord section that leads into that VImin transition you like), and recently I was playing on my Telecaster, and it was mmmmm.....okay, doing something, but nah.....and then I Found The Frail, and I've frailed on & off for years but never incorporated it into a piece.

The dam cracked open, and when I got the release part happening at 2:02 I got really excited.

After that it was a race to find the 'final' arrangement before my wife went looking for a sharp object. If she thinks that's bad, though, she should hear what goes on in my head when I'm 'editing'.............Give me tinnitus any day......oops.....I already have that, but I digress......

Thanks again!

Howard
Thanks Howard! Yes, enjoyed that section at 2:02 as things opened up! You have a "wicked" sense of humor.....laughed out loud at your final paragraph!
Thanks!
__________________
1993 Bourgeois JOM
1967 Martin D12-20
2007 Vines Grand Concert-Cedar/Quilted Sapele
2014 Doerr Legacy-LS Redwood/Cocobolo
2014 Bamburg FSC-Carpathian Spruce/Macassar Ebony


www.soundcloud.com/island-guitar
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 PM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 5,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Lovely Howard, really enjoyed that! Steve Barney must have been listening to you. I can hear you in some of his tunes. Thanks again!
Steve Barney studied with me for a time. Round trip from New Haven CT to Huntington NY every so often.

Hes a good player and writer.

HE
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-15-2017, 04:10 PM
mikeguthro mikeguthro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 205
Default

Mighty fine. My foot is still tapping.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=