The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Epiphone Olympic with new GFS pickup

Excited to have added a GFS NYII pickup to my Olympic. I have added a volume control added in upper right ala Gretsch, that controls the NYII. It has it's own output jack as well. So I can blend the original Shadow bridge piezo with the NYII pickup via a Y cable. I can also send one to an acoustic and the other to an electric amp.

I'm not thrilled with onboard Shadow, but with the NYII, I can add some warmth. Here's a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epi Olympic w pickup.jpg (61.5 KB, 116 views)
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

I was able to use the Epi on a gig last night, and it sounded pretty cool. I sent the Shadow bridge piezo to one channel on the mixer and the GFS to another. I had to use 2 cables because I havent picked up a Y cable yet. I used the "acoustic" Shadow sound to loop rhythm parts, and the GFS to play lines over it.

Oddly, one of the best things the GFS pickup did was to slightly deaden the solid spruce top and that made the Shadow pickup sound warmer, much better.

I'm excited to have a hybrid guitar that can cover a bunch of different sounds.

MODS, maybe now this belongs in the Electric/Hybrids section?
Old 07-23-2019, 12:45 PM

You can also wire both pu's to a single TRS jack then run that to a mixing preamp with a TRS cable, then mono output to single amp. That what I do on my Eastman with a twin piezo bridge pu and Kent Armstrong mag on the neck. I use the Baggs MixPro to select either pu alone or blend them. This is easier to me than bringing multiple cables, amps or splitters.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

That's a great idea! I always am looking to travel lighter. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops