The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Thanks Jesse. I've seen the small ones and toaster size. Was almost going for the inadequate (as you say) toy version. Glad you differentiated. It'll save me money and aggravation.

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
Martins- '07 OM-21, '19 0-18,
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Dang...got a smelly Martin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedzep View Post
Thanks Jesse. I've seen the small ones and toaster size. Was almost going for the inadequate (as you say) toy version. Glad you differentiated. It'll save me money and aggravation.

I hope it helps! I ran one to remove pipe tobacco smells out of a guitar I got. I really should have run it longer. I only left it in the closet for 4 hours and it knocked the biggest percentage of the smell away and I only catch a whiff if I put my nose on it. I’ve heard it’s best to run for a full day or so. It’s tolerable for me now and it’s fading so I figured that was good enough for me.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 PM

Some woods, such as rosewood or mahogany, have a strong smell that can be mistaken for smoke or body odor smell. Also, guitar cases often have a smell that can combine with the guitar smell to make an unpleasant odor.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:43 PM

Have you ruled out that the case is the source of the smell? I bought a new Martin which had been in the store for at least a year. The guitar itself was ok, but the case that had been stored in less than ideal condition had a strong moldy smell. It started to transfer that smell to the guitar once I bought it and kept it in the case when I wasn't playing it.

I was able to get rid of most of the smell by leaving the case out in the sun during the day and using the coffee treatment at night. Ultimately someone told me that their theater company used a spray of cheap vodka (emphasizing cheap) to get rid of BO and the smell from storing the costumes for extended periods. Not sure if I would spray vodka on a guitar, but works great for a smelly case. Good luck in your efforts.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 09-10-2019, 03:42 AM

Thanks for pitching in, guys. I just rechecked the case and, sure enough, the bass side has the smell. Good thing I re-checked as I put it up on C'list. A VG condition used TKL is coming in on the brown truck today, so I'll open up the molded ABS case and stick it upstairs.

My guitars all hang free unless traveling.

I'll actually try the vodka wipe-down, at cocktail hour, of course. Tito's will have to do.

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
Martins- '07 OM-21, '19 0-18,
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion