The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-09-2015, 04:56 AM

Default Singing volume advice

I worry my singing volume is very quiet, I naturally have a very quiet voice when talking.

I do have the ability to record guitar/vocals on separate channels but recently I've tried just recording myself unplugged on my phone (Lumia 1020 which has pretty great microphone actually) to try and gauge my singing/playing volume balance.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it's actually just about spot-on in this scenario, as long as I play without a pick - I generally don't play very hard, with the phone just on the desk in front of me (rather than right up against my lips).

Does that suggest my singing volume is actually better than I imagined, or should I be able to match my guitar volume even when I'm properly thrashing it?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Take a few singing lessons - Hopefully, your teacher will find and release your singing voice as a little lady did for me many years ago.

A lot of it is about confidence.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:45 AM

Yes, singing lessons could help you. Often when a person is singing softly they are not getting the best tone or pitch because they are holding back.

I think you just lucked out with your phone positioning and the relative volume of voice vs guitar.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 AM

Agreed. If I am singing full voice, which I don't do too often anymore, I can overpower the guitar. I can also be prone to singing too softly because I practice in the house after my little ones go to sleep. I sometimes end up performing the way I practice. Take a lesson. Get an objective opinion from someone who is knowledgeable.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:44 AM

Wink

I don't think it's necessary to sing loudly; that's what a mic is for.
But I do think it's important to sing comfortably, unless we're talking about opera.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD