The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 05:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark, I love all the little details you put into each build. One of my favorites on this one is the contrasting sapele binding...such a cool idea!

And that sapele under finish.....wow!! Love it!
Thanks Treenewt, It has been a fun build and the Sapele was a pleasure to work with. The guitar has a fine tap tone and I am also excited to see how it comes out under finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Mark--your wood choices are spot on as always.

Great choices with the maple neck and the Amboyna burl.

Everything looks amazing--just WOW!
Thanks Nemoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
That blue mammoth tusk is absolutely stunning. It’ll add some crazy character to the guitar. I wanted to ask if you felt that “upgrades” from bone contributes significantly to tone and what would be your favorite or recommendation for nuts and saddles.
Thanks for commenting Hanter, I think regular bone for the nut and saddle are the benchmark. Mammoth tusk bark which is somewhat fossilized is a bit harder than bone and adds a bit more ping or treble to the sounds. It could be helpful for a fingerstyle player who picks with the flesh of their fingertips (like myself).
It adds a little sparkle.

The center of the mammoth tusk tends to be softer than bone. It softens the sound a bit and can come in handy for a guitar that tends to sound too shrill, say a Cocobolo guitar with Red Spruce or a hard Sitka on it.

Mammoth offers some options for fine tuning sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboz View Post
I'm dyin'!
"It's all so beautiful..." (echoing Itchycoo Park).
Thanks Naboo! My wife knew Itchycoo Park. I admit I had to look for that one on YouTube.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 07-26-2020, 07:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Tuners

Here are the current top two contenders for the tuners. They are both X-finish Gotoh 510 minis. I'd also be making custom wooded tuner buttons for them which will likely be Amboyna burl:

Steven Wright
Old 07-26-2020, 08:01 AM

Not that it matters, but between those two, I like the goldish ones in the top picture, I like the blend in this case vs. the contrast. New buttons will be perfect.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Tuners

Definitely not the second set.

d
Old 07-26-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default A 3rd voice

..for the 1st golden ones.
I think they blend in nicely and imo complement any blue in the guitar better
Old 07-26-2020, 09:07 AM

Mark, I'm a fully licensed, vetted, and bonded Art Historian....go with the gold.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-26-2020, 01:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well the consensus is the gold set. At least that is what looks best in the pictures because the gold goes well with the back of the headstock. We’ll look again when the finish is on and in the context of the entire guitar and see if that changes any minds!
Thanks for the feedback!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 07-27-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Well the consensus is the gold set. At least that is what looks best in the pictures because the gold goes well with the back of the headstock. We’ll look again when the finish is on and in the context of the entire guitar and see if that changes any minds!
Thanks for the feedback!
Mark
I was thinking of how the bushings & nut would look on the front of the headstock. Are you sure that a shiny gold or even the black would not work (especially as you'll be doing custom wood buttons)?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 07-28-2020, 03:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
I was thinking of how the bushings & nut would look on the front of the headstock. Are you sure that a shiny gold or even the black would not work (especially as you'll be doing custom wood buttons)?
Thanks for commenting kkrell, I agree that the shiny gold might be a good choice also. Maybe even the black depending how dark the overall guitar looks under finish. It is easy enough to switch them out and decide when it’s all together.

Steven Wright
Old 07-29-2020, 01:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Shop Activity

The Red, White, and Blue guitar is off to get the finish. The torrified Maple guitar is on it's way back with the finish on it. Monday I'm starting a new build.
So I have a little bit of a break this week.

So I'm going to do some other stuff.
First off I switched out all of the florescent lights with LED tubes.
I'm doing this for a number of reasons:
Non flickering light is easier on the eyes
LEDs are cheaper to run
LEDs won't heat up the shop
LEDs don't buzz
LEDs are supposed to last 32 years
I can use them for video lighting in the shop

I was going to get new fixtures but my present ones are hard wired and I found LEDs that directly replace the florescent ones. That's just easier to do. The caveat is I won't save as much on the electric bill because I'll still be powering the ballasts but that's marginal and I don't have to buy fixtures.

So that is what I went with. One thing I didn't get right was the buzz comes from the ballast not the bulb...Oh well. The new light are wonderful though so I'm going with good enough.

This week I'm doing some re-sawing. I've been looking for nice piece of English Walnut for a long time and I finally found one:

I hope to get four back and side sets from this beauty. English Walnut is a bit heavier, a bit harder, and a little stiffer than Eastern Black Walnut and I love Black Walnut and expect this English Walnut will push the tone just a little more toward a rosewood tone.

Walnuts are among my favorite woods to use for back and sides. It's nice to be able to expand the menu!

Steven Wright
Old 07-29-2020, 02:26 PM

Mark, that's a very nice looking piece of walnut. That's a wood I'm enamored with, both as a tonewood and just in general. There's such a beauty in a good piece, to my eye. And that piece is quite nice! Looking forward to seeing what you create with it!
Old 07-30-2020, 05:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Mark, that English Walnut is gorgeous! I have built 4 Walnut guitars but never with English Walnut. I look forward to seeing this emerge. Kudos on improving your lighting, too. Have a great day
Old 07-30-2020, 09:48 AM

I find in my line of work the LED lights are too bright for me and cast a bluish haze over everything, I wonder how that will work for you as it makes things a different color and you are so into subtle tones. I will be interested to hear.

I ordered a walnut guitar from someone in the English empire and he ended up with Claro Walnut from Oregon for it LOL!
Old 07-30-2020, 11:00 AM

Beautiful wood....very dark for English walnut.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-30-2020, 12:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark, that's a very nice looking piece of walnut. That's a wood I'm enamored with, both as a tonewood and just in general. There's such a beauty in a good piece, to my eye. And that piece is quite nice! Looking forward to seeing what you create with it!
Thanks Treenewt, Walnut is a pretty wood and a pleasure to work with. It also makes a fine tonewood with great clarity and it records like a champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Mark, that English Walnut is gorgeous! I have built 4 Walnut guitars but never with English Walnut. I look forward to seeing this emerge. Kudos on improving your lighting, too. Have a great day
Thanks Carpinteria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I find in my line of work the LED lights are too bright for me and cast a bluish haze over everything, I wonder how that will work for you as it makes things a different color and you are so into subtle tones. I will be interested to hear.

I ordered a walnut guitar from someone in the English empire and he ended up with Claro Walnut from Oregon for it LOL!
That's funny that you luthier chose Claro. I suppose it seems more exotic when it comes from another country.
I use LED lights for my photos. They come in different temperatures which set the tint between yellow and blue. 5000k is supposed to be neutral which is what my photo lights are and that is what a got for the shop lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Beautiful wood....very dark for English walnut.
English Walnut does look pretty light but, it seems to really darken with finish, a wipe of Naptha or shellac.

Well I had a successful re-sawing session:

I got the four back and side sets I hoped for with a little left over. Here they are individually:

They are well quartered and have a very nice tap tone. It was a good day on the bandsaw!

Steven Wright
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop