The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM

Default Would guitar pro help a beginner?

I've been considering buying guitar pro. Me and my son are both just learning to play. Been at it about 2.5 months now.

Would Guitar Pro be a good investment for a beginner. It sure has that cool factor.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 01:54 PM

If you mean the Guitar Pro tab software - I really like mine (version 5). Not too expensive, pretty easy to use.

I use it to tab my own stuff out, but also quite a bit to put in tab that's giving me trouble, so I can hear it better (and at any tempo you want). Handy if you only have tab and no music notation - but even with notation, I think it's handy sometimes for the "trickier" bits.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 12-16-2010, 02:29 PM

I've been at it for a while, but I do find Guitar Pro very useful. Not only can you see and print out the notation and tab, it also has a fingerboard view so you can see where the fingerings are. It's also very useful to be able to hear it and at the same time see where the notes are; it helps a lot to get the timing right.

Most of the Guitar Pro tabs I've seen are pretty good, but I've found a few that have mistakes in them.

Another program I've found very useful is The Amazing Slow Downer.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write