The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM

Default You cant always get what you want analysis of chord progression and complexity

The related thread with regards to developing and creating your own song. Let's take the Rolling Stones You Cant Always Get What You Want. I do apologize for generally dating me and please humor me on that particular era of selection

Easy chord progression of what C to F with an interspersed D i believe ? I could jam to that tune forever and usually do ! Its got the orchestral and the choral singers and Richards doing lead and Jagger sounding his usual roughness.

Let's get a critical input to how complex yet simple this classic tune is. And there are so many many others that can be chosen and learned from.

It seems that this tune progression has been the root of my recent guitar learning activities !

Pick on ladies and gents and any comment appreciated

Harmonics101
Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM

I recently read Life by Kieth Richards. Besides being a great biography, he often elaborates on specific lead guitar motifs. Early on he began playing alternate tunings. He often plays a 5 string custom guitar. For me, it explains why it's hard to immitate many of the Stones' chord progressions.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 AM

That is a great song. There are many Rolling Stones songs that are complex yet fairly easy too learn from. One of my favorites is Angie, I play it constantly and for me it never gets old, another classic is Wild Horse's. I love the style of the Rolling Stones. Thats one of the reasons they have survived as long as they have
Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM

I think this song illustrates Misty's point on the lyrics thread: it's the lyrics that make this tune great. The melody is good, but it's not something you'd be likely to sing if it had bland, boring lyrics. It's not a GREAT melody. Yet it's a great tune! I think the arrangement has a lot to do with it, too.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:51 PM

First off, I love 'The Stones'!

However, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' is not one of my favorites of theirs. Just never spoke to me personally. I do like the dynamics of the song very much. Its timing and arrangement are dramatic and compelling. I apologize in advance to all of those who find the lyrics to be quite profound (and I've known a few folks who feel that way), however they do nothing for me and I find them to be a bit too calculated and anthem-like for my tastes.

Give me 'Stray Cat Blues' or 'You Got The Silver'

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Thanks guys for all your input !

It just dawned on me that if we have discussions on wood and material and lots of opinions there, you could imagine that sky's the limit when yer talking about putting artistic expression on paper.

I'd have to agree the lyrics are a bit kitchy or cliche or i can totally understand that viewpoint. But whoever mixed that single should be applauded ! I guess its just the regular guy for the stones but what brilliance if you ask me. Its got everything but lyrics !

Harmonics101

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write