The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-19-2020, 09:10 PM

Default Was Learning To Use a Thumb Pick Difficult For You?

It's getting better. Love the louder bass response, but still a bit uncomfortable. What say you?
Old 11-19-2020, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Not so much the pick but the whole finger style technique. It comes together with enough practice. My struggle was the lack of coordination in my non dominant right hand since I'm a lefty who plays right handed guitars.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:16 PM

Yes, some folks say they acclimated to it in a matter of days or weeks. It took me 3 months before I felt like I consistently played better with it than without it.

But I’m happy that I did, and by the way, don’t hesitate to customize your thumb pick. Seems like the consensus here is that most do, primarily to shorten the blade.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 11-19-2020, 09:18 PM

It must be hard for me as I only use one on the autoharp, unless I ruin a nail. There's been plenty of times I wished I used them more often so they felt better to me (including fingerpicks as well).

Listening to folks use a thumb pick without fingerpicks, it always intrigues me that their playing does not sound overly bass-loud. Using picks is a quick and easy way to get greater volume.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:24 PM

I am so accustomed to using a thumbpick that I am bound to it. I cannot hardly play fingerstyle without it. If I try to fingerpick without a thumbpick, my thumb accuracy is way diminished. You will get used to it.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:26 PM
Guest 33123

After 35 years of playing guitar and 20 years of fingerpicking I decided to learn how to use fingerpicks while learning slide on my newly acquired National. Shockingly It only took about a week to get used to the fingerpicks.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Not so much the pick but the whole finger style technique. It comes together with enough practice. My struggle was the lack of coordination in my non dominant right hand since I'm a lefty who plays right handed guitars.
That is me, too. My fingerpicking consists solely of thumb and forefinger
Old 11-19-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post

We decided to have my lefty grandson try to learn righty so he could play 95% of the guitars out there. I hesitated to do that and almost bought him a lefty, but he has learned a lot in two years and has about 20 students he is teaching basic guitar.
He is still struggling some with finger picking.
I am amazed at lefty’s who can play righty. When I flip my guitar over it is such an alien feel.
My hat Is off to you guys.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:59 PM

I sort of started classical, and just cannot get the thumb and fingerpicks to work. So I grow my thumbnail and call it a thumb pick. Works for me[emoji6]
Old 11-20-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
I sort of started classical, and just cannot get the thumb and fingerpicks to work. So I grow my thumbnail and call it a thumb pick. Works for me[emoji6]
Can relate.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:03 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Was Learning To Use a Thumb Pick Difficult For You?

Yes, it has been, so I’ve never taken to it. In my 44 years of playing as an intermediate player, I’ve been a barefinger picker (up to using all fingers)/strummer. I’ve tried to use a thumb pick a few times and have never gotten the hang of it which in part may have something to do with not having tried to shape it in a way that I have no idea what shape would work for me. There’s an upstroke/downstroke approach that seems to elude me as well. I will try again and have chatted with some players here who do it well.

That said, if I ever do become comfortable with one, I still like the “meaty”, softer tone of a bare thumb and don’t want to be tethered to picks in general because I like the intimacy of using most/all of my picking thumb/fingers and don’t ever want to be caught in a situation where I have the opportunity to play someone else’s guitar when I didn’t expect it and the quality of my playing is dependent on a pick when I don’t happen to have one on me. I very much like the feeling of a “naked”, all finger approach and the ability to do it on any guitar, at any time.

I WILL try a thumb pick again at some point, hopefully to stick with it to have it as an option.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-20-2020 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Took about a week to ‘get comfortable’, and about the same for finger-picks. One of the good things about using a thumb-pick is that it puts the hand in a good position with the thumb parallel to the strings in two planes.

Like others here, I’m so well accustomed to playing with picks after almost thirty years that I find playing with bare thumb and fingers extremely clumsy and inaccurate in comparison.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-20-2020, 02:31 AM

I never could get on with a thumb pick, so I learned the "hybrid" style of picking with a regular pick and three fingers. It does make it easier to revert to strumming mid song too.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:43 AM

I tried it for a week or so in my teens. Absolutely hated it. Helpful for speed but that was never really my thing.

That said, many of the players I admire wear one.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

I used one when in Highschool. Can't remember how long it took to get used to it. It was the 70's. Don't remember allot about that time in my life. I tried to go back to it last year. As my current situation has me playing acoustic solo gigs. I tried it for about two weeks and couldn't get used to it. Been playing my fingers too long I guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write