The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-13-2021, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Oops. Never mind. Move along, please.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 04-14-2021 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Bad URL. Bad, bad URL.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I was curious about the tuners, so I went to have a play with the Emerald Builder. X20, X20 Baritone, X30, and even the Amicus are all illustrated with Gotoh 510 1:21 tuners.

I’m not sure I could tell the difference between 1:18 and 1:21 without counting, but I know these differences are significant to others.
Very interesting! My guess is that I got the 18:1 because this was a stock model that was not custom- I played around with the custom builder and to get this same guitar without electronics was the same price as the stock model which includes a pickup - so getting the stock model was the better deal. Little did I know there were these Gotoh differences -honestly though, these 18:1s are better than the tuners on any of my other guitars and I love the look.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 04-14-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Very interesting! My guess is that I got the 18:1 because this was a stock model that was not custom- I played around with the custom builder and to get this same guitar without electronics was the same price as the stock model which includes a pickup - so getting the stock model was the better deal. Little did I know there were these Gotoh differences -honestly though, these 18:1s are better than the tuners on any of my other guitars and I love the look.
Quite likely. Emerald has been known to introduce changes across the line with little fanfare. I suspect you happened to make your purchase as the the move to 1:21 tuners was in progress.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-14-2021, 07:36 AM

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that immediately ditched the way oversized, humongous and ugly Nashville pickguard! I mean, why cover that lovely burst? (Full disclosure: I did put a clear guard on...it is a spruce top, after all.)

Phil

PS: my Emeralds (X20 still incoming) are both amber and I've found that I like that it/they can appear completely black or amber (a dark faux-wood look?).

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that immediately ditched the way oversized, humongous and ugly Nashville pickguard! I mean, why cover that lovely burst? (Full disclosure: I did put a clear guard on...it is a spruce top, after all.)

Phil

PS: my Emeralds (X20 still incoming) are both amber and I've found that I like that it/they can appear completely black or amber (a dark faux-wood look?).
Yes, in general, since I'm a fingerstyle player 99% of the time, I really don't need the pickguard, and I put in a request when I placed the order that it be made without it - they did include it separately in the case, so if I ever change my mind, it is there.

And I agree with you that in less than decent lighting conditions, the Emerald carbon color appears nearly black - my photo from my living room is proof of that.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 04-14-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Yes, in general, since I'm a fingerstyle player 99% of the time, I really don't need the pickguard, and I put in a request when I placed the order that it be made without it - they did include it separately in the case, so if I ever change my mind, it is there.
Likewise but I play with acrylic nails so a pickguard is a necessity. When I took that humongous original pickguard off, I first replaced it with a typical 'Martin-style' guard that was similar in color but found I still didn't like covering the burst so replaced it again with a clear one. Much happier with the look without a covering pickguard...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Hey Guys - I am just over a month in owning the X30 and it really is a wonderful instrument. To my ear, this guitar combines the rich full treble tone that seems to be a common element to all of the CF guitars I’ve played, but with the resonance that most closely resembles a wood guitar.

One important design element that I didn’t realize until just a couple of weeks ago is that the X30 is a 12 fret instrument! Granted, with all of the bevels, cutaway, and elimination of the heel, etc. you don’t lose any upper fret access. In case you wondering, this is more like the Martin long scale 12 fret design in that the neck will stick out just as far as it would on a 14 fret instrument as opposed to the Taylor/RainSong design where the neck feels shorter and closer to your body.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-08-2021, 08:21 AM

Nice! I'm really enjoying my X-20. That red looks great on yours btw.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:50 AM

That’s a gorgeous guitar!

My X30 has changed my opinion of what is possible with CF. It has the tone of a wooden guitar, is extremely comfortable to play and combined with the conveniences of CF for travel, is a clear innovation in guitar building.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber