The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 06:40 AM

Default 1984 Goodall Rosewood Standard problem

I have a separate NGD post celebrating two new instruments recently added to my stable: a bourgeois jomc and this old goodall Rosewood standard. I'm still just in the listening phase, playing each guitar, learning all its tonal nooks and crannies, shifting from one guitar to the next to hear how they sound against one another and against other guitars in the stable.

After a few days, I am noticing a problem. If I play the goodall for any amount of time, any and every guitar I play afterward is a disappointment. Even my trusty 1970 d28, which is no slouch of a guitar, sounds like a toy. It sounds fine on its own, and I enjoy it very much. Even the bourgeois, which is a phenomenal instrument. Delicate, strong, dynamic and perfectly balanced. But only if I play it first. If I play it after the goodall, I find myself wondering what all the fuss is about.

This is the first and only instrument I have played from this builder. I bought it on a whim. It has a modern voice, but with a decidedly vintage vibe. I don't know if it conforms to all of the descriptors I've heard people use for James's guitars. To me it seems stronger on the fundamental than the overtones, perhaps simply because of its age. It reminds me a lot of the finest classical guitars. Incredibly clear and immediate in attack, lead lines feel like they are being spat out. At the same time, the trebles are so warm and bold. The low end is not at all boomy, but it is massive. Similar to a grand piano in effect.

Sorry for the rant. I just didn't anticipate having a problem like this so soon after purchasing an instrument. I needed somebody to complain to.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 10-13-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I've had the same "problem" since my first Goodall purchase in 2008. Enjoy the ride!
Old 10-13-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I find that loud, ringing, and relatively bright guitars like a Goodall Standard tend to make most other instruments played after it sound muted. Your ears quickly get accustomed to that sound. It doesn't mean your other guitars aren't good though. If you play the Martin for 5 mins or so your ears will probably reacclimate.

That being said, a Goodall is a magnificent guitar that most others won't compare to.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 10-13-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
I find that loud, ringing, and relatively bright guitars like a Goodall Standard tend to make most other instruments played after it sound muted. Your ears quickly get accustomed to that sound. It doesn't mean your other guitars aren't good though. If you play the Martin for 5 mins or so your ears will probably reacclimate.

That being said, a Goodall is a magnificent guitar that most others won't compare to.
Yes, this exactly. I love my other instruments and still think they each have wonderful unique voices. It's just that initial effect when switching. Crazy!
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 10-13-2020, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I notice it the most when switching from a Dread to an OM, particularly if strumming the OM. It sounds thin and boxy compared to the Dreadnaught. If I play the OM first though, it sounds great.

Glad you are enjoying your Goodall. Mine was my first "Luthier Built" instrument, and it took my down a very fun (but very expensive) road.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 10-13-2020, 07:16 AM

I've led several people down the dark, wallet-destroying path of Goodall fanaticism. You may be stuck in there forever, but at least you'll enjoy yourself!
Old 10-13-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

The Goodall Standard in Redwood/EIR would be my downfall I believe? It's been in the back of my mind ever since I heard Bryan Rankins at Fazio's play this one...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-13-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
Sorry for the rant. I just didn't anticipate having a problem like this so soon after purchasing an instrument. I needed somebody to complain to.
And such a terrible problem to have. My thoughts go out to you. Lol... Great guitars... quite a big, rich sound. Hope you enjoy. You can sell all the other in the Classifieds at any time.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:42 AM

Well, you know what James Goodall has said about his Standard model: “It makes all other guitars sound like they are stuffed with socks”.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 10-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
Well, you know what James Goodall has said about his Standard model: “It makes all other guitars sound like they are stuffed with socks”.
Yeah...I remember that quote!

Old 10-13-2020, 09:03 AM

Default 1984 Goodall Rosewood Standard problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
I have a separate NGD post celebrating two new instruments recently added to my stable: a bourgeois jomc and this old goodall Rosewood standard. I'm still just in the listening phase, playing each guitar, learning all its tonal nooks and crannies, shifting from one guitar to the next to hear how they sound against one another and against other guitars in the stable.

After a few days, I am noticing a problem. If I play the goodall for any amount of time, any and every guitar I play afterward is a disappointment. Even my trusty 1970 d28, which is no slouch of a guitar, sounds like a toy. It sounds fine on its own, and I enjoy it very much. Even the bourgeois, which is a phenomenal instrument. Delicate, strong, dynamic and perfectly balanced. But only if I play it first. If I play it after the goodall, I find myself wondering what all the fuss is about.

This is the first and only instrument I have played from this builder. I bought it on a whim. It has a modern voice, but with a decidedly vintage vibe. I don't know if it conforms to all of the descriptors I've heard people use for James's guitars. To me it seems stronger on the fundamental than the overtones, perhaps simply because of its age. It reminds me a lot of the finest classical guitars. Incredibly clear and immediate in attack, lead lines feel like they are being spat out. At the same time, the trebles are so warm and bold. The low end is not at all boomy, but it is massive. Similar to a grand piano in effect.

I can certainly relate to that - when I got my Webber a few months back it had the same effect. Literally anything I played sounded better on the Webber to my ears than my other guitars (Furch) which I loved.

To give you some perspective, this has faded to a degree and I find myself reaching for others and choosing them over the Webber for certain pieces more and more as time goes by. The Webber still sounds great but the others have come back into focus.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

Last edited by Wrighty; 10-14-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:26 AM

What strings are you Goodall owners using?

I have a Rosewood jumbo Goodall and am still trying to find a string set I like on it...
Old 10-13-2020, 09:35 AM

Well this is the risk taken when climbing the food chain. Once you've driven a Corvette, even a Camaro will seem anemic. Just enjoy and accept that each guitar has its place. There is a time for steak and a time for hamburger. And feel free to vent or rant.... that is what this place is all about.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Well this is the risk taken when climbing the food chain. Once you've driven a Corvette, even a Camaro will seem anemic. Just enjoy and accept that each guitar has its place. There is a time for steak and a time for hamburger. And feel free to vent or rant.... that is what this place is all about.
Sometimes a good hamburger can be better than a steak...to me at least?

Old 10-13-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
What strings are you Goodall owners using?

I have a Rosewood jumbo Goodall and am still trying to find a string set I like on it...
I have Elixir Phosphor Bronze Medium 13-56 on my Rosewood Standard. EXP17’s sound great too, but the Elixirs just last forever.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion