The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTomcan View Post
Congrats I'm interested in the model , Looks like a WINNER,
Enjoy
Thanks, I would highly recommend trying one first to make sure it sounds the way you want it to. As I mentioned, there was quite a difference between the two I tried. One was a typical very good Taylor guitar. This was something else entirely to my liking.

One thing I will add: to play Neil Young's Cowgirl in the Sand, and some Elliott Smith songs like Say Yes and Between the Bars, I tuned the K14c down a full step.

Holy. Cow. It is extra resonant right now. The only downside is since I'm using light gauge DR Sunbeams (which are pretty flexible at standard pitch) they're really flexible and I can't dig in too much without getting low string warble. I'm tempted to keep this in full-step-down tuning but change to EXP17 (mediums) for added tension. It impressed me at standard pitch, but this woods combination sure does growl now.

I also have a MacNichols bone saddle en route because, well I like bone on my instruments and I want to hear what difference it may make on my K14c. From what I understand Taylor went with Micarta saddles because it transmits very well to their ES2 system. Since I don't have ES2, I want to hear if bone makes a difference, and if so, if it's an improvement.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-10-2020, 07:19 PM

Brief update. This K14c is by no objective means anywhere near my "best sounding" guitar, though it does hold it's own against the others.

What it is best at, though, is being my best "standing and moving around" guitar. And by that I mean, of all my guitars, it has the best mix of comfortability, projection and volume, and playability while moving around a room un-mic'd/unamplified.

It gets significantly louder while standing and moving around than my OM, 000, 00. I think it's because, with the bigger overall body (and also being deeper), having the back press against my body does not dampen the sound or tone as much as the smaller bodies. Also the top is bigger, and vibrates more freely due to the arm bevel keeping less of my arm on the top while playing.

What about versus the dreads, you may ask? Sitting down, with less of the guitars against my body, the D-18 matches, and the TD-R exceeds, the K14c in volume and projection. But standing results in having the backs rest against my body, and being 5'7" my arms fully rest on the tops of the dreads because of my arm length. Those two damping factors reduce the volume/projection of my dreads moreso than the K14c's GA body does. Plus the K14c is the more comfortable to play due to the ergonomic thought Taylor put into it.

I do most of my playing and practicing seated, so in those cases I will often pick up the more appropriate sounding guitars that are matched to the songs I'm playing.

But if I have some friends over and need to play standing up/moving around (espescially if some of those friends are also musicians and bring their instruments over to play some campfire versions of songs), I now realize I'll be grabbing the K14c most of those times.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion