The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2016, 04:02 PM

Default String storage

So I like to make up my own string sets for my LKSM-12. That means buying a packaged six string set, and then loose individual sizes to round things out. I usually get enough for 4-5 string changes at once. The only strings I can get in the guages I prefer are steel in the lighter diameters. And steel rusts.
After losing many of the loose packs last summer due to high humidity, I carefully packed the envelopes in ziplocs. Yep, they are now all corroded again.
So beyond buying a vacuum bagger, are there other recommended ways to store strings to avoid this issue??
Old 10-17-2016, 04:09 PM

Could you use some steel wool to take off the oxide layer from the strings?

H
Old 10-17-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
So I like to make up my own string sets for my LKSM-12. That means buying a packaged six string set, and then loose individual sizes to round things out. I usually get enough for 4-5 string changes at once. The only strings I can get in the guages I prefer are steel in the lighter diameters. And steel rusts.
After losing many of the loose packs last summer due to high humidity, I carefully packed the envelopes in ziplocs. Yep, they are now all corroded again.
So beyond buying a vacuum bagger, are there other recommended ways to store strings to avoid this issue??
you may try one, or some, of those absorbents that you get in your vitamin bottles and other packaging.

also, contact the string company for recommendations.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Guest 1928

I've never had much problem with strings rusting, even after years in the packages, but I am also a lover of air conditioning. My house is never terribly humid.

Plastic bags won't do any good because they're not that tightly sealed, plus if you package the strings in high humidity, the humid air will trapped inside the bag. Typical vacuum sealers are not much different since they are unlikely to pull out all the air, just most of it. I would suggest finding some silica gel packets and packing those in sealed containers with the strings. Many of them can be periodically "recharged" by drying them out in the oven at low temperatures.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Hi, it IS a problem. D'addario told me that strings "go off" after two years,but you don't know how ld they are when you get them.

Hermetically sealed string sets are best, but like you I buy singles.

I keep my strings in a "Really Useful" box made for cds,

See: www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/

I have one of those bags of crystals that soak up humidity, and yet some strings get tarnished - I reckon they have some already have some moisture, or human touch on them.

I try to buy Elixir "anti-rust" unwounds which I keep double packed in plastic bags.
All sets (D'adds and Jim Dunlop mando and dobro strings), are kept in original packing.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:37 PM

If you end up buying a vacuum bagger (I have one I LOVE!) be sure the sharp ends of the strings (BOTH ends) can't puncture the bag.

That happened to me.
Now I place the strings between two pieces of thick cardboard before placing them in the bag.

FWIW these vacuum systems have many uses ... Google is your friend.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 PM

Maybe spray a thin coat of WD-40?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 PM

When I was in a working band, we bought strings in bulk packs. 50+ of each, in a long thick plastic sleeve, and whenever someone needed a strings they could just grab one.

Like you, I experienced some corrosion, so I used my Food Saver with the packaging inside it, a couple silicone desiccant packs in the bottom and sealed it up. Made sure I left plenty of baggie so the package could be opened and resealed quite a few times.

And Food Saver bags come in rolls, so you can make the length you need. Got turned on to it when I was catching a lot of walleye (over 300 in 3 months one fall). Could put whole filets inside, just made portion cuts so I could take the bag out of the freezer, open it and break it over the edge of the counter.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

I keep mine in a plastic food storage container that is semi-airtight. I added a layer of plastic bubble wrap on top to act as a gasket and seal better and I stuff leftover desiccant packs in there.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-27-2020, 07:10 AM

Old thread but relevant question for me.

I've often read that metal boxes are better for storing certain things (cookies for instance ) - any reason to expect this to be true for acoustic (metal) guitar strings?

I keep my gut and nylon strings in their original packaging inside a metal box an old gf gave me for that purpose ages ago; never had any issues with it. Except that now it's become too small...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion