The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-12-2021, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Default RainSong CH-OM1000NS busking problem solved

I picked up this nice little guitar primarily for busking. I liked it so much that I immediately bought another one in the Nashville wood/carbon fusion top. They are two very similar guitars with significant differences. My plan was to keep one or the other but for now I'm planning on keep both.

The CH-OM1000NS is going to be my busking guitar, which is what I bought it for in the first place. The first time I practiced outside in the sun I notice an issue: The small, white fret position dots were very hard to see in direct sunlight! I think this due in large part to the lighter gray matte finish on the neck as I don't seem to have the problem on the Nashville with the dark, gloss black neck.

I initially didn't think this would be a problem as I felt that I really don't pay all that much attention to them. HA! Turns out, apparently, that I actually do, if only on a subconscious level! It was weird to not see them clearly and I found myself hesitating slightly on chord changes as my eyes/mind couldn't clearly deduce where I was. The was especially problematic on songs requiring capoing.

We're finally getting some busking-friendly weather this weekend so I decided to address the issue. I found white sticky-back material (leftover from a book of stamps) and cut it into small squares which I then put on the first four fret position side markers as diamonds. You can see them now!

Photos to follow.

Last edited by Methos1979; 06-12-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Photos: Also note the handy-dandy busking setlist taped to the side!

Last edited by Methos1979; 06-12-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:53 AM

I had the same problem with my guitars and tried sticky tape. Eventually, and not too long after, it got pushed around by my hand, so I have now painted large white rectangles using white nail polish on all my guitars. I masked off with blue painters tape and did two thin coats. It's been on for years. I haven't tried to take them off, but as I didn't sand before I'm hoping I can scrape it off with a fingernail if I ever want to. I play a lot of late night jams in low light and really needed the reference marks.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:03 PM
Guest 928

Excellent problem solving!
Old 06-13-2021, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Looks great Methos1979 and thanks so much for sharing - I might use this same trick on my Martin D-X2
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 06-19-2021, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the idea, Scott! I had a farmer's market show today in VA, and it was very sunny. I knew from before that the dots on my BI-WS1000N2 were hard to see in the sun, so a few days ago I did what you did...cut out little squares from the border of some old return address labels, rotated them 45 degrees, and stuck them on. Funny how squares turn to diamonds with a little rotation. I had no fret marker visibility issues at all. Great solution!!!
By the way, how is busking going? I've toyed with the idea but never jumped in.
Rick
'02 Martin HD-28
'08 Martin 000X1
'16 Guild F-1512E
'18 Breedlove Oregon Concert Myrtlewood
'20 Eastman E1D
'20 Journey OF660
'18 RainSong BI-WS1000N2
Old 06-20-2021, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmguitar View Post
Thanks for the idea, Scott! I had a farmer's market show today in VA, and it was very sunny. I knew from before that the dots on my BI-WS1000N2 were hard to see in the sun, so a few days ago I did what you did...cut out little squares from the border of some old return address labels, rotated them 45 degrees, and stuck them on. Funny how squares turn to diamonds with a little rotation. I had no fret marker visibility issues at all. Great solution!!!

By the way, how is busking going? I've toyed with the idea but never jumped in.
Rick
Yay! Glad it worked out for you. As for busking, we have yet to actually do it. Partly because I'm still nursing a nagging back injury but also just been very busy here. June is a busy month for us with birthdays, holidays and graduations. Hoping to get out very soon.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Photos: Also note the handy-dandy busking setlist taped to the side!

Nice elegant solution Scott! I was having the problem as you seeing the fretboard markers. I wound up using a white Sharpie marker and just put dots over the existing dots.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-20-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Deleted-Double post

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 06-30-2021 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 06-20-2021, 02:23 PM

I used these:

https://www.inlaystickers.com/collections/guitars

I also put two coats of nitro clear gloss fingernail polish on them. With the nail polish they are nearly bulletproof but still removable with acetone (nail polish remover won't attack the poly finish on a RainSong). The nail polish will eventually peel off the decal but remains on the guitar and protects the edges of the decal from getting pulled up. Because of my OCD I used a hole punch to put holes in masking tape so that the nail polish was also a nice clean circle too.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 06-21-2021 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:16 PM

I had the same issue on my Composite Acoustics GX--tiny side markers that were nearly invisible in some conditions. I also use the inlay stickers for a while. Even without nail polish, they'd last several months before rubbing off, if I was careful.

But I finally decided to fix the problem once and for all, and took the guitar in to a local tech to have better side markers installed. It only cost $40 and I don't have to worry about it ever again.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I used these:

https://www.inlaystickers.com/collections/guitars

I also put two coats of nitro clear gloss fingernail polish on them. With the nail polish they are nearly bulletproof but still removable with acetone (nail polish remover won't attack the poly finish on a RainSong). The nail polish will eventually peel off the decal but remains on the guitar and protects the edges of the decal from getting pulled up. Because of my OCD I used a hole punch to put holes in masking tape so that the nail polish was also I nice clean circle too.

Nice! I like that solution. My favorite side marker dots are called Luminlay. There is a dark outer circle and the inner circle is a glow in the dark material. They are very visible, even in low light. I had them on my gigging tele. The ones on my Emerald are pretty small. I should put those on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber