The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-06-2023, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Well if we're askig for all and anything from the Emerald fairy godmother, I'd like a model in between the X7 and the x10, more like a 00.
Apparently, if you are prepared to finance a new mould, they’ll make you anything your heart desires.

But, I don’t that really qualifies as a ‘custom option’
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-06-2023, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Apparently, if you are prepared to finance a new mould, they’ll make you anything your heart desires.

I wonder if they'll let you name the guitar. An Emerald Eastwood has a nice ring to it.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I wonder if they'll let you name the guitar
Is there anyone out there called “Lefty Amicus”?

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-06-2023, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know some people like the extra margin, and some (like every guitarist in my house) don't. I'll probably just replace the nut on mine, with a wider string spacing.

It would be nice if Emerald would allow some customization of the margin like they used to. But I can understand why they'd want to keep some things standard.
Please post if you do replace your nut and how it ends up.

Although videos of the shaping and finishing work at Emerald are pretty scarce, I do recall seeing one in the last few years. I bring it up only because I thought I remembered one of the guys working fairly aggressively width-shaping a rough neck out of the mould, possibly with a surform plane or something like that, having to take it down quite a bit. Wish I could recall that better but I noted, at the time, that there was already quite a bit of hand finishing work required to produce the lovely Emeralds we all appreciate. I still wonder if neck width options would truly be that costly, and potentially out of the "Lefty Amicus" custom mould territory.

And I could be all wrong too I don't need another Emerald right now, but might someday.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Talking

Quote:

Ha-Ha ha-
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-06-2023, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is there anyone out there called “Lefty Amicus”?

I love this place! Thanks for the belly laugh!
Old 02-06-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Well if we're askig for all and anything from the Emerald fairy godmother, I'd like a model in between the X7 and the x10, more like a 00.
I'd add to that an X20 12 fret. Something around 24.9" scale, no upcharge ...STOCK

I don't think Emerald would have a hard time selling them but what do I know.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I hope they don't start offering the LR Baggs Anthem StagePro again. I've threatened for quite some time that if they offered that pickup system again I just might have to do a custom order...
I really like the StagePro Anthem system too. I have it in two of my Rainsongs. I asked Emerald if they’d put one in if I sent it to them and they said they would. I ended up not doing it and just went with the element to keep things simple. I wish it was still a standard option.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I'd add to that an X20 12 fret. Something around 24.9" scale, no upcharge ...STOCK

Ooh, I like it. I wonder if Alistair would do one as an AGF special of sy 20 guitars....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-15-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Makes me wonder what the price tag will be for a new mould. It would be nice to have that Amicus redesign as a right handed version.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 02-07-2023, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Makes me wonder what the price tag will be for a new mould. It would be nice to have that Amicus redesign as a right handed version.
Same here. I'd imagine it could be expensive. Did you see the series of 16 or so videos Alistair posted during the lockdown when he designed the Solace? It looked like quite a bit of work to make the mould, although that was a completely new design.

Perhaps it would be manageable if enough AGF members chipped in to defray the cost? Who knows if Emerald would even entertain the idea. There's probably more to it than just the mould, depending on how far one deviates from an existing model.

Emerald, understandably, keeps much of their build techniques close to the vest. But consider the aforementioned 12-fret X-20. Does that require a whole new mould? I'd guess yes. Looking at my X-20 it looks like the neck is an integral part of the body. But at least the body part of the mould wouldn't require a new design.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I've never had a custom X20 in any form sound as good as a stock one. Not Woody's, not thin necks, not short scales. I've had 4 of the customs and none sound and ring like a stock, unplugged X20 acoustically. Just my opinion. I've owned close to 10 Emeralds now. Have 3 now (7,10,20) and just ordered a new 20 with the Hyvibe.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 02-15-2023, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I've never had a custom X20 in any form sound as good as a stock one. Not Woody's, not thin necks, not short scales. I've had 4 of the customs and none sound and ring like a stock, unplugged X20 acoustically. Just my opinion. I've owned close to 10 Emeralds now. Have 3 now (7,10,20) and just ordered a new 20 with the Hyvibe.
By "as a stock one" do you mean one particular Emerald that you've owned? I've wondered how much variability there is from one copy to the next. Otherwise, I can't see why there would be a consistent difference between customs and stock.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the HyVibe. They sell a lot of them.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
By "as a stock one" do you mean one particular Emerald that you've owned? I've wondered how much variability there is from one copy to the next. Otherwise, I can't see why there would be a consistent difference between customs and stock.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the HyVibe. They sell a lot of them.
By "stock" I mean; no thin neck, no short scale, or Woody. Although, the closest to my "stock" one in tone is/was a Woody with standard neck and scale. The others I could tell a difference with the first strum of the guitar. It's like the were a bit mute before the strings let go and started to play.

I've had a think neck, a short scale, and a thin neck with a short scale (all Woody's) and they all had that initial mute sound (compared to my stock X20 Artisan.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 02-15-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

That is EXACTLY what I would want in an Emerald.

I was also playing around with GIMP some (it's like Photoshop) and made a 12-fret X20 with a Celtic knot in place of a soundhole. I did it to replicate the cover of one of my favorite albums (King Crimson's "Discipline"), but I thought it looked really cool.

I think if Emerald could find a way to incorporate a Celtic knot decal in their tops where a soundhole would normally be, it be might be a great option for those who find the looks of Emerald a little too unusual.

But what do I know?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber