The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-29-2023, 07:58 PM

Default Build Laminate Spruce and Walnut Guitar.

Stupid threads about laminate guitars has me thinking again. Not like I need to start another project but I will probably have to vacate the house in summer and tools will be packed up. Just had visions to use my dishes for the top and back (boy this will be easy), then remember I will have to make a mold for the sides, almost forgot about it. Just using scrap walnut and have more tops than I will probably use so turning three into one is no great concern.

The big question, how thick will the laminations be? Equal thickness, outside thicker, thinner? Thinking roughly OM size, 19.25" x 15" x 4".
Old 01-30-2023, 08:03 AM

I have not made a laminate guitar, unless you count a resonator uke made from door skins. The big issue with that was it is very easy to sand through a thin layer of veneer so I would think a thicker outer layer is a good idea.

One of my nearby wood stores sells black walnut veneer in "thick" 1/16" and their regular is .020". A layer of each would give you .082" which is in the ballpark for a guitar side or back.

Found some info here, https://www.jsbguitars.com/learn-gui...es/laminating/

Last edited by Fathand; 01-30-2023 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

If you're going to laminate the top, the thickness would totally depend on the qualities of the spruce you're using, how many layers, and how it will be braced. Keep in mind that the edges of the top will probably get thinned down a bit more due to cleanup from binding, so I wouldn't go thinner than 1mm for the outer layer unless you're confident you can really carefully sand. When I laminate sides, my outermost layer is usually 1.6mm (1/16") which leaves more than enough room for sanding and is easy to bend.

As far as a mold for the sides, I'd consider re-purposing or modifying your standard mold if possible. When I laminate, I split my mold in half and bolt the sides against each other to get a wide female mold. You can also just use clamps and not the barrel nut system I show below (but the nut/bolt system is super handy!)...

instagram
Old 01-30-2023, 08:51 AM

Default a question

Urethane glue between the layers in this picture?
Old 01-30-2023, 09:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Urethane glue between the layers in this picture?
Yup! I think urethane is a great glue for laminating -- no moisture content and dries rock hard with a good joint.
instagram
Old 01-30-2023, 09:07 AM

I can only assume you want to make a laminate top guitar to have something that you can take to the beach or something? If so then why not make the body all laminate and the top a Nomex double top? It would sound much better imho and still give you the strength you need.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I can only assume you want to make a laminate top guitar to have something that you can take to the beach or something? If so then why not make the body all laminate and the top a Nomex double top? It would sound much better imho and still give you the strength you need.
Just want to make one to see how it will sound compared to a solid guitar, using good materials for the filler layer. I do have some nomex, maybe next time. I have a guitar that needs the top replaced, might be a quick build in order to scratch that itch.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:50 PM

Nice to know,

"Our laminated tops are 6.5 mm thick.
All 3 plies are the same thickness.
The center ply is glued cross grain for added strength.

Thanks,

support clients/customer service
Godin Guitars"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair