The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-01-2023, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Journey Collapsible OF660

Anybody here play a Journey collapsible OF660 carbon fiber guitar? The ones that fit into the overhead bins on an airplane? If so, what are your thoughts, impressions about it? Thanks.

And Happy New Year!!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-01-2023, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Hi Karen-

I have an OF660. Here is a review I posted soon after buying it:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=650429

At first I was on the fence about keeping it (a good reason to buy it from Amazon), as explained in the review. I've had it for about 5 months now and have no plans on parting with it.

The OF660 fits the travel guitar niche well. It packs down to a compact size (but larger than the Furch Little Jane, or others) and, being carbon fiber, is obviously impervious to the elements. And the neck attachment mechanism works great. Very quick to assemble/disassemble. There's enough room left in the pack to store other stuff as well.

The main drawback I saw at first is that it is a quiet guitar - at least for finger style as I play. It is not something that you'd use to play for a small group of friends. But, as someone noted in an earlier review of the OF660, it works great if you're staying in a hotel and don't want to bother the neighbors. I tried two of the OF660s and they were both equally quiet. If you're playing it by yourself it's fine. Just don't expect a lot of volume.

I've got around that issue by using a small amp - the NUX Mighty Air. I use it both at home and for travel. The amp is rechargeable, wireless and comes with both the transmitter and receiver. And it's small enough to easily fit in the OF660 pack. I use it at home, not for the extra volume, but to add a little reverb or delay. I'd say the NUX about doubles the volume from the guitar.

The reason I've held onto it is that it has a unique sound that I like. It's fairly bass heavy for a small guitar. I find I use it more for travel now than my Little Jane.

If you're interested, a comparison of the two OF660s I bought is here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=650924
The return of the lessor one was easy through Amazon.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-01-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I've owned them a few times. Great guitars, the very best for airplane travel in my opinion. Here are two reviews I did:

NGD: Journey Overhead OF660 CF with demo video

NGD: Journey Overhead OF660B - with week-long, real-time travel

In the end I didn't keep them only because I almost never travel by airplane anymore. But if I was going to, I would definitely grab another one.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:47 AM

I've had for awhile. I really like it. I keep it in the trunk of my car. I fly with it and really like the ease I can travel with it (Hawaii, West Coast) I actually like the sound and enjoy playing it, it's different than my wood bodied guitars, but has its own pleasant personality. I have no regrets whatsoever.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:51 AM

If you do a search you will find lots on the CF subforum about this guitar. I have one and use it every time we travel. Assembly and disassembly is a breeze, the size is good and it sounds quite good as well. No hesitation in recommending this guitar!
Old 01-01-2023, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

I had one, I liked everything about it except that it was very quiet fingerpicked. I ended up selling it.
I just ordered the new «first class» model FF660M, it’s supposed to be louder… fingers crossed 😀
Old 01-01-2023, 03:05 PM

Love mine. Before I bought it, I tried several unsatisfying travel guitars. Original Emerald X5, Taylor GS Mini, Voyage Air dreads (2) and I forget what others. The Emerald didn’t sound good. The GS mini and Voyage Air were too big to carry on since my international airport is mostly small jets to hubs. I didn’t really like the GS Mini. I kept one Voyage Air for campfires and the like, but it’s been sitting in a closet unused for years.

The OF 660 is great. Small, great low end for a travel guitar, fits in any overhead bin, well made and durable. Mine’s old with the original pickup but that still sounds good with an outboard preamp.

I see prices are way up and I’m not sure there’s a good alternative at a comparable price, or less.
Old 01-01-2023, 04:56 PM

I've had one for over one year now and have mixed feelings about it.

Pros : If traveling by plane it's great. Camping or areas of changing weather it's great. Very durable and worry free. Well made, well engineered, high quality, neck attachment is first class. Once neck is attached and micro tuned it stays in tune forever. Ok volume when strummed.

Cons : It is quiet, too quiet for fingerstyle. Tone is on the warm side which I like but lacks high end sparkle. It's heavy for a small guitar, over 4-1/2 lbs. I don't like the neck shape, it is shallow with a flatish profile, like a squashed D shape. Even strummed it sounds weak compared to my other small guitars, GS mini and Eastman OO 12 fret.

It might sound like I am down on this guitar and I am not. If needing to travel and bring a guitar along this is excellent. I just don't play it at home after I have played my standard wooden guitars or I end up disliking the tone so much I want to sell it.
Old 01-01-2023, 05:57 PM

Lots of great comments here and not much else I could add. I've had one for well over 4 years now so I guess I like it (bought from forum member Methos). I think I would go for a used one if you can just to see if you like it; if yes you can sell it and buy one new if desired as they really won't vary much from guitar to guitar, if not well then you know.

Mine has been on 2 cruises and multiple domestic flights. I once had a Tonewood Amp in mine and that perceptually helped with volume but I'm not sure. It is a quiet guitar for fingerstyle but I've gotten used to it and accepted it. Like Kevin, I run mine through a Yamaha THR5a at home plugged in, but can take it with me camping or to a small jam (also operates with batteries!). It sounds marvelous plugged in.

With my limited knowledge of the finer things in life I've yet to find a perfect guitar, you have to accept the OF660 for what it is...then it pretty much rocks!
Old 01-01-2023, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for your thoughts and links. I will read more in depth and then jump in, or not.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-01-2023, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
I had one, I liked everything about it except that it was very quiet fingerpicked. I ended up selling it.

I just ordered the new «first class» model FF660M, it’s supposed to be louder… fingers crossed [emoji3]
It will be interesting to see how the FF660M lands. KevinH and I compared his OF660 and my RT660 and I was surprised to see very little difference in volume (although there is a difference in tone it also wasn't as great as I expected with them side by side). From the pictures and specs the FF660 seems to basically be the RT body with the OF neck and joint.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
It will be interesting to see how the FF660M lands. KevinH and I compared his OF660 and my RT660 and I was surprised to see very little difference in volume (although there is a difference in tone it also wasn't as great as I expected with them side by side). From the pictures and specs the FF660 seems to basically be the RT body with the OF neck and joint.
I wanted the FF660 to be as big as the 16” wide First Class collapsible wood guitars. Ah well, could be they are sneaking up on it but by bit…
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 01-02-2023, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Is the neck of a collapsible guitar as stable as a guitar with a neck that you can't take apart?
Old 01-02-2023, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I can't speak for all collapsable guitars, but my Furch Little Jane has CF reinforcement in the neck as well as a truss rod. My OF660 also has a truss rod and, being carbon fiber, its neck is probably stronger than most. I've not had a problem with either. In terms of stability I've never had to make a truss rod adjustment after the initial one. I would expect the CF in the OF660 to be especially stable, being resistant to humidity and temperature.

Or perhaps you were wondering about movement of the neck at the attachment point? Again, I haven't noticed that on either of my travel guitars. After attaching the neck it can take several hrs for the string tuning to stabilize, but I assume that's more about the strings settling into a new equilibrium rather than movement at the neck joint. In any case, several hours after I attach the neck on my OF660 its tuning is as stable as my Emerald.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-03-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Is the neck of a collapsible guitar as stable as a guitar with a neck that you can't take apart?

Yes. Very stable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber