The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2022, 09:21 AM

Default Which guitar is best for money?

Hi,

I have been considering getting a new guitar and plan on going into my local guitar store and trying out the guitars listed below. I want something that is very playable with low action. Also, something that sounds incredible. I would greatly appreciate people's option on the below options and why they think one is better than the other.

Yamaha A5R
Martin GPC Special 16 Style Rosewood
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gibson J-45 Studio Walnut
Taylor 314ce
Taylor 324ce
Taylor 414ce

I like to play a mixture of strumming and fingerstyle. Typically playing folk, blues, or rock style music. I would mostly be playing by myself and maybe the occasional gig.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:37 AM

Best? Well.. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Many people are going to tell you "Yamaha", they seem to get a lot of love here.

Personally, I'd be partial to either the J45 Standard or the 414CE

My son has a 414 CE SE (Special Edition) It's every bit as good as my 814CE for quite a bit less $

As for the J45, I don't have one, but I do have a J200 and there is just something about the Gibson J series that is right to me.

The resale on both if you change your mind won't leave you holding the bag either IMHO

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-07-2022, 09:58 AM

Oh yeah, THIS is going to be good.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:07 AM

No better batter bang for the buck value in the industry than a D-18.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Personally I'd go with the J-45 studio and get a used one. They are pretty good deals. Or just get a J-15.

Whether any of these guitars has low action and is super playable depends on if they have a setup at the nut and saddle. If they don't then they won't be very easy to judge as far how well they play.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:40 AM

Furch and Eastman tend to get “best bang for your buck” reviews. You won’t find either of these at most store but they really are incredible values. I would pick any furch over basically any Taylor any day. I’d recommend trying to find a shop that had either (or both if you can) of these brands before you go with one of the big names. I bet you will be glad you did.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

which ever one you fall in love with when you try it.

personally i do not like cutaways, which only leaves the j45s and i didnt enjoy the J45, so if i had to choose from one of those cutaways listed it would be the Taylor 324ce

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 10-07-2022, 10:57 AM

I would say NOT to go into this search with preconceived ideas or opinions concerning certain models. I’d recommend going to as many stores as you could and play every guitar that you can get your hands on. The ONE will let you know it’s for you, when you start playing it!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-07-2022, 11:04 AM

The Yammy!
Old 10-07-2022, 11:32 AM

Can your local store get you a Takamine to try?

I own 3 and I am very pleased. They can easily old their own at the jams I play. There we have Martin, Blueridge, Gibson, Alvarez, and Taylor just spit out a few.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-07-2022, 11:47 AM

Not to be dismissive, but the answer is right there in the first line of the post: "going into my local guitar store and trying out the guitars." What anybody else thinks "sounds incredible" doesn't matter if your ears don't agree.

I understand the urge to seek advice, but none of us is in a position to tell you which pair of shoes you will find most comfortable, or what your favorite color will turn out to be.

On the other hand, finding a new (or just new-to-you) guitar can be a source of enjoyment. Go have some fun. (And if you want to know what a guitar sounds like to listeners, take along a friend whose playing style you find sympatico and have them play for you.)
Old 10-07-2022, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosen91 View Post
Hi,

I have been considering getting a new guitar and plan on going into my local guitar store and trying out the guitars listed below. I want something that is very playable with low action. Also, something that sounds incredible. I would greatly appreciate people's option on the below options and why they think one is better than the other.

Yamaha A5R
Gibson J-45 Standard
Taylor 314ce
Taylor 324ce
Taylor 414ce

I like to play a mixture of strumming and fingerstyle. Typically playing folk, blues, or rock style music. I would mostly be playing by myself and maybe the occasional gig.
Yosen, folks would wanna know your price range to dial this in for you.

sm
Old 10-07-2022, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
No better batter bang for the buck value in the industry than a D-18.
Amen, Amen, a thousand Amens to that

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-07-2022, 12:20 PM

Price is important, but as others have mentioned what sounds best to you and I will add this what feels the best to you playing-wise should be considered the most important factors. You only want to spend what you can afford, but if you can't stand the sound, or hate the way it plays/feels in your hands, the guitar becomes of a waste of time (the time you owned the guitar, could have been spent playing one that you really like), and of money.

In my case, this is the way Martins are for me, with regards to playability. Many on this forum sing the praises of Martin guitars (in some cases saying "why would you play anything but a Martin?" [I had a friend who was like that when it came to Strats]), but in my case, despite them sounding fine to me, I can't stand their necks - the Modified Low Oval profile necks most Martins have are too thin for my preference, and the few that don't have them, seem to mainly have a pronounced V-Profile neck, which I dislike almost as much. I guess chunky C-shape necks are not Martin's thing.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 10-07-2022, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosen91 View Post
Hi,

Yamaha A5R
Gibson J-45 Standard
Taylor 314ce
Taylor 324ce
Taylor 414ce

In that list I personally only see one option and that's the Gibson J-45 Standard; I'd maybe consider the J-45 Studio too as the couple I've played in stores were pretty nice sounding. Hard to beat Gibson's playability.

Like other's I'd say expand your choices and play everything you can get your hands on.

Of course, if you stick around here, GAS will start getting to you and you'll probably end up with all of those and more...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, martin, taylor, yamaha