The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I was in almost the IDENTICAL situation, but with one key difference. I sold another guitar to finance the CEO-7 - I fully anticipated keeping the 000-15SM along with the CEO-7 for eternity or until I changed my mind, whichever came first. So I got the CEO-7 and totally loved it. I'd say I liked the sound about as much as the 000-15SM but in a different way, but the CEO-7 just played like butter - I love the Mod-V neck on that guitar and never really did more than put up with the MLO neck on the 000-15SM. Also really dug the short scale. In short order, I found myself picking up the CEO-7 roughly 100% of the time. I'd occasionally grab the 000-15SM, but, in comparison to the Mod-V on the CEO-7, I actually came to actively dislike the neck on the 000. And so it didn't take me long to turn around and sell the 000-15SM. Over time, I guess as it broke in / opened up, I came to love the sound of the CEO-7 more than my memory of the 000-15SM. And, irony, of ironies, I now have another of the guitar I initially sold instead of the 000-15SM. I now have three acoustics - I paid less for the CEO-7 than either of the others, but it's by far my favorite of the three.

So, KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW, sure I'd have sold the 000-15SM. But, merely knowing what I knew then, I'm sure I'd do it the same way I did it. The 000-15SM was a wonderful sounding guitar and I sometimes miss the sound of it, but having a great sounding guitar that I never pick up is a non-starter, so no regrets.

But you don't know how you're gonna react yet. So, IN YOUR SITUATION, I would NOT sell the 000-15SM before you buy the CEO-7 - you very well might come to regret it. Raise the money some other way, or just wait until you can save more. I've sold a number of guitars I liked a lot after I'd bought others I liked more, but I've never sold a guitar I loved for another I MIGHT like or love more, but also might not. I just wouldn't do it. A guitar you really bond with is a rare thing, and shouldn't be let go of without a replacement you KNOW you like as much or more.

-Ray
Old 05-18-2022, 05:10 PM

I don't sell to buy another. I but and play both for awhile then decide.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
…..keep the SM and save for the CEO.
This is a good path, if you can walk it.

Or buy from a shop that will give you a 72 trial, and send it back if it doesn’t displace your 000-15sm; yes, you might be out some money for return shipping, and maybe even a restocking fee (and with shipping costs going up, this is a bigger consideration). But regret has a cost too.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

The best option is to play both, either onsite at a store, or to keep the 000 until the CEO arrives. But if that's not possible, then think about what you're preferences are b/c those are two very different guitars. Depending on what you want, the answer should present itself.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:36 PM

I bought and sold, upgraded and replaced a lot of guitars over the years.
What I concluded was that there will always be a better guitar out there.

I finally realized that I was wasting a lot of money chasing a dream.
After evaluation what I had, I sold 3 guitars and bought one replacement and kept my two favorite guitars.

I'm now down to 5 guitars that are all very different from each other and they all serve a purpose for my playing.

I think that I'm done with buying and selling now.
It took me a long time go get here though.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:49 PM

Buy the CEO7 from Guitar Center and take 45 days to decide.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-18-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
Buy the CEO7 from Guitar Center and take 45 days to decide.
I dunno, they do it, I get it,, but the next guy that comes along if it goes back thinks he's bought a new CEO7, cuz that's what GC will do... be he kinda bought a slightly used CEO7

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-18-2022, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Having owned both I can say they're great guitars but very different. For me it would depend on my needs from that particular guitar. Play them side by side if you can. One thing to keep in mind is the 000-15SM will take a while to reach it's full potential. I prefer to purchase used mahogany topped guitars if available for that reason alone. The CEO7 is a little powerhouse. Only sold mine as I had a Kopp L-02 at the same time and didn't need both. Then ended up selling the Kopp. I will say the CEO7 (to me) is more than the sum of it's parts. Best of luck whatever you decide!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-18-2022, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm…. You have a really nice guitar….but you want another really nice guitar, too. Nope, I doubt you’ll find anyone here on the AGF whose been in that situation.

Really, this is like a big GAS support group. I agree with those who put forth the “bird in hand” approach. But then again, who says you cant save up a while and have TWO birds?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-18-2022, 08:21 PM

Default Have you ever been in this situation before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT4life View Post
...Would you give up a guitar you’re growing to love in order to acquire another guitar that you might love even more?

I’m also curious to hear if anyone here has been in a similar situation. What you chose to do and if you now feel like it was the right choice?
I have, several times - '67 Epiphone Rivoli "Chas Chandler" bass, Gibson B45-12 sunburst (Lightfoot's "Sundown" guitar), '70s Hagstrom Swede, Takamine F-349, late-70's Music Man 410-65, late-CBS first-run '52 Tele RI, Ibanez R-001, Deering Intermediate 5-string, Ibanez Roadstar II RB650 bass, first-run Gibson '61 SG RI, Fender Champ 12, '46 Epiphone Blackstone, '47 script-logo L-7, probably a couple others I can't recall right now...

Did I make the right choice - in most cases unfortunately not, and if I had it to do over again I would have kept nearly all of the above (exceptions being the Roadstar bass and Champ 12, traded on a Pedulla bass and Guild JF30-12 respectively) and found a way to finance the new acquisitions...
Old 05-18-2022, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Buy once, cry once.
I agree with this dude for some reason. And I’m sensing you’re not that sold on the all-mahogany Martin.

I’m also not recalling anyone saying, “I wish I hadn’t bought that CEO-7.”

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-18-2022, 08:42 PM

First of all you have to have played them both. Don't know if you have actually played the CEO-7. I have an HD28, I've played the 00015 and liked it alot. Never played the CEO-7. Came within a whisper of buying one a few months ago because of everything I've read about them and watching the demos online. If all the hype on the CEO is true and it's one or the other I'd pick the CEO. Thats alot of hypotheticals. Play them both, pick the winner.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your input thus far. It has been helpful.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:27 AM

This is really a personality question. I'm wired to grow to enjoy whatever instruments I ultimately choose. I've never unloaded a current instrument to acquire a new one. Others here happily engage in frequent "catch-and-release" instrument trading.

Neither outlook is better than the other. I know that getting rid of a guitar I really like to purchase something I think I'll probably like more isn't an option for me. I personally don't want to risk the regret. So I have always spent time reading, listening, trying out potential new instruments and most importantly saving funds and then buying the next one, without having to give up an existing one.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
I’m also not recalling anyone saying, “I wish I hadn’t bought that CEO-7.”
I've actually seen quite a few. A few years ago, when I first got interested in the CEO-7, I probably read everything that had been written about it, every forum post, etc, three or four times, and watched / listened to every YouTube and sound clip on it.

Most of those who ended up selling them off did so rather quickly because they just couldn't bond with the Mod-V neck. The Mod-V is a real polarizing neck - those of us who love them tend to REALLY love them, but a lot of people can't get comfortable with them at all. It's why Martin puts them on so few production guitars. They're fantastic necks for those of us who like them, but they'll chase away enough buyers that it's not a great neck to have lots of hanging in a showroom if the intent is to sell a lot of guitars to a lot of people. And there are some who find the tone of the Adirondack top a little too brash relative to the mellower sound of a Sitka top (all else being equal, which all else never is). That Adi top mellows into something really wonderful as it opens up, while losing no volume, but not everyone loves it, particularly when it's new.

I'd say if the OP hadn't already played and seemingly fallen in love with the CEO-7, he should definitely play one before making any decisions. But since he said he played it and loved it, he's working from good data...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000-15sm, ceo-7, gas, martin