The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-25-2023, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

The cheapo digital calipers I had ended up dying, or worse yet, began giving inaccurate readings. Luckily, the inaccurate readings were way off, so the discrepancy was obvious. Also, they ate batteries like candy.

I’ve since switched to dial calipers. No batteries and I think they’re more accurate.

If I were regularly measuring strings, I think I’d get a micrometer.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:48 AM

I have an analog Helios set that my father gave me when he retired after 30 years as a machinist. Being a bit sentimental, I’ve never used them to measure anything.

Instead, I use an inexpensive digital set that I bought from Amazon. They are accurate enough for my needs.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:23 AM

Spend your money one and be done with it. I use these every single day.

They have never failed me.

My money is on the Mitutoyo 500-196-30

2018 Martin HD-28
2018 American Original '50s Telecaster
2015 Les Paul Trad Pro III
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Junior '57 Reissue TV Yellow Limited Ed. Custom Shop
2004 50th Anniversary Fender Stratocaster
1983 Fender Telecaster -Vintage White
Old 02-07-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
I have a fairly cheap set of digital calipers, works great. Inch to .000 or metric to .00 selection is a nice feature and a zero set is essential.

Mine looks like this one https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Calip...NrPXRydWU&th=1
Supplemental info. My calipers died yesterday. A tiny metal contact tab fell out when I was changing the battery. It is like a 1/8" square piece of tin foil and I am not much at soldering so I am ordering a new one. I have had them for at least 12 years so about $2 a year. Pretty decent value I think.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:36 AM

Default AGREE

It may pain me, but tools are just that - - -tools to do a job, whose work product is more important than the tool. If an inexpensive tool fails, and many do fail, early, they get replaced. If I had to buy lifetime machinist's tools to measure something, I wouldn't afford the materials that the tools were meant to help me with. As for fixing failed tools, if I can replace a broken digital caliper for twenty-change bucks, the time saved is worth the price - - - the tools ain't the hobby for me.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:21 PM

I'm on my 3rd digital caliper (different brands) and I have the same problem with all of them: The zeros aren't stable. To make sure the measurement is accurate, I have to take a zero, then a measurement, then re-check the zero. I'll try a dial caliper next.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:01 PM

Default cheap digital calipers

I, too, have seen wandering zero settings, but on a couple of mine who showed that symptom, a fresh battery seemed to stabilize them. I have no idea whether this could apply to every caliper with a wandering zero.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Do any digital calipers have a built-in rechargeable battery, that can be charged via a USB connector? That would be easy to do, and easier on the caliper, than messing around with batteries, battery covers, etc.

There are USB-chargeable electronic tuners, pocket radios, bicycle lights... Wave of the future?
Old 02-07-2023, 09:10 PM

I've had good luck with this plastic digital caliper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The battery life is acceptable and the accuracy is quite good, though it's not up to measuring string diameters. For that I use an analog micrometer- mine is
an old C.E. Johansson.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:35 PM

I use dial calipers daily, but a micrometer is preferred for checking string gauges. Much better accuracy.
I have a few, but the one that is on the bench right now is an old Starrett, which can be had for about the same price as a cheap dial caliper.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
I'm on my 3rd digital caliper (different brands) and I have the same problem with all of them: The zeros aren't stable. To make sure the measurement is accurate, I have to take a zero, then a measurement, then re-check the zero. I'll try a dial caliper next.
I have a dial caliper, I used to use. Resetting to zero was also a common occurrence. Temperature fluctuation or a bit of grime can throw them off, same as the digital ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair