The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I’m also curious what type of pick the OP is using. My guess is that it’s on the thin side (under 1mm), and made out of celluloid or nylon.
Fender extra heavy
Old 02-07-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
I definitely hear it, drone like and overriding other notes. I had a similar thing on my Adi/madi sigma, I changed the strings and it seemed to fade over time?
Glad I’m not alone in this. My wife hears it as well. I am definitely going to change strings when I can and see if it makes a difference.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrotele View Post
Fender extra heavy
Well, I got the celluloid part right. Fender lists the gauge of extra heavy picks as 1.2mm. I would have expected a fuller sound from a pick that thick. If you can get ahold of a pick made out of a "warmer" sounding material, say, Ultex, in a 1.4mm thickness, I'd be curious how different the guitar sounded.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

If you could record something like a fiddle tune with it maybe I could hear what you're concerned about. From what I hear it just sounds like a nice guitar.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
It sounds like you're playing a G chord without the 3rd fret 2nd string (D), correct?

I'll bet it may not be as pronounced if you play the G chord with 4 fingers instead of 3.
It is equally pronounced either way.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Well, I got the celluloid part right. Fender lists the gauge of extra heavy picks as 1.2mm. I would have expected a fuller sound from a pick that thick. If you can get ahold of a pick made out of a "warmer" sounding material, say, Ultex, in a 1.4mm thickness, I'd be curious how different the guitar sounded.
The guitar sounds very full to me. Aside from this one relatively minor thing that I’ve only noticed recently, I wouldn’t want it to sound any different. And keep in mind of course the myriad things that will impact what you are hearing besides a pick - strings, pickup, recording interface, software processing, EQ, compression, whatever speakers/headphones you are using, your ears… there’s no issue with the overall sound of the guitar, so it’s not a rabbit hole I’d venture down.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:53 AM

I am hearing the dominant overtones from below the D string, but it is not too far out front. Depending upon where the acoustic guitar fits into the whole track, I have found that a dreadnought that sounds great in person is not always what you want to record with. I have often found them to create a bit of a tangle around 350-550hz., not on bluegrass or other predominantly acoustic music so much, but with more pop oriented instrumentation like keyboards and some vocals as well.

After recording acoustic guitar parts on our first album with a kick butt D-28, only to have to claw those tracks to pieces to mix them properly, we recorded the second album with a little 1976 Yamaha FG75 and a Yamaha FS720 Nashville strung. We got better results quicker with much less headache. But, again, these tracks were for "finish' and "sheen" on rock/pop recordings, not the acoustic guitar carrying the body of the song. That is a bit of a different animal.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
I am hearing the dominant overtones from below the D string, but it is not too far out front. Depending upon where the acoustic guitar fits into the whole track, I have found that a dreadnought that sounds great in person is not always what you want to record with. I have often found them to create a bit of a tangle around 350-550hz., not on bluegrass or other predominantly acoustic music so much, but with more pop oriented instrumentation like keyboards and some vocals as well.
Interesting, thanks. I do find it less apparent when just playing it vs listening to it through headphone/on a recording. In any case going to pop some new strings on today and see what happens. But good input.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:41 PM

Changed strings yesterday. Put on the Martin medium Lifespan 2.0s that the D-18 ships with. No difference. And now that I pay a bit more attention it’s not much less noticeable when just playing the guitar vs recording, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Moments ago I clicked on a Guild D-40 demo video as I was curious what these sound like. Well, I wasn’t listening for it but as soon as the video started I heard the same prominent overtone. At about :30 seconds in as well when he starts strumming the G chord.

So again, perhaps just some nascent/hopefully temporary sensitivity to it on my part! Not gonna spend any more time thinking about it. But I sure thought this was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-HNIff4ko

Last edited by electrotele; 02-10-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
RM,
Sometimes it’s simply the strings in back of the nut, or if you’re capo is 3rd fret or higher, the strings in back of it.

I’ve had felt under my strings for decades now.

HE
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try!

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion