The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-14-2022, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
So, if I read that correctly, you are answering the voices you are hearing? LOL
You don't? It would seem rude to ignore them. Some days, these are the best conversations I have. Other times, I have to say, "No, that would get us all in big trouble." Then, it usually comes to a vote.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
You don't? It would seem rude to ignore them. Some days, these are the best conversations I have. Other times, I have to say, "No, that would get us all in big trouble." Then, it usually comes to a vote.
You got a good point, glad I'm not the only one. Good luck with your cleaning and playing your CF guitars. We just moved and got rid of a lot of stuff too, not sure where it all came from.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

The Facebook Memory from 6 years ago...

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...aQ&oe=640615D7

It was Emerald's second ever Select Series, and this X20 grabbed me by the eyeballs. I was lucky on the timing and managed to get this one (as I recall, that whole series sold in less than 24 hours). I was ready to order what I wanted, and then this one popped up with that veneer and black back and sides. My second Emerald, third CF guitar... this one blew me away when I opened the case... looks, sound, feel... it is definitely a "keeper." And no wait, other than the shipping from Ireland!

I was surprised that it was only 6 years ago - seems like that guitar has been a part of my life for much longer than that. We are out in the motorhome again, back in the desert southwest. I brought my X7 to keep in the motorhome, and two other guitars (a wood acoustic and an electric) that I plan to sell while we're here (I can keep them at my music partner's house until they sell.) I think I surprised my wife when I told her I wanted to bring along a couple guitars to sell... she asked, "Is there something you want to replace them?" This is the same woman who last month said, "We are running out of room to store guitar cases." No, there isn't anything I'm looking for right now. But, who knows? Maybe something like this lovely X20 will wrestle me to the ground?
Old 02-05-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
The Facebook Memory from 6 years ago...

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...aQ&oe=640615D7

It was Emerald's second ever Select Series, and this X20 grabbed me by the eyeballs. I was lucky on the timing and managed to get this one (as I recall, that whole series sold in less than 24 hours). I was ready to order what I wanted, and then this one popped up with that veneer and black back and sides. My second Emerald, third CF guitar... this one blew me away when I opened the case... looks, sound, feel... it is definitely a "keeper." And no wait, other than the shipping from Ireland!

I was surprised that it was only 6 years ago - seems like that guitar has been a part of my life for much longer than that. We are out in the motorhome again, back in the desert southwest. I brought my X7 to keep in the motorhome, and two other guitars (a wood acoustic and an electric) that I plan to sell while we're here (I can keep them at my music partner's house until they sell.) I think I surprised my wife when I told her I wanted to bring along a couple guitars to sell... she asked, "Is there something you want to replace them?" This is the same woman who last month said, "We are running out of room to store guitar cases." No, there isn't anything I'm looking for right now. But, who knows? Maybe something like this lovely X20 will wrestle me to the ground?
I’ve enjoyed watching the videos you’ve made playing guitar and see that you visited SD for the bike rally. I live in Spearfish. I got an X20 around a month ago and have 4 Rainsong guitars. They are always hanging up throughout the house when I’m not playing them. If you ever make it out to South Dakota would be fun to meet and play guitars.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcarl View Post
I’ve enjoyed watching the videos you’ve made playing guitar and see that you visited SD for the bike rally. I live in Spearfish. I got an X20 around a month ago and have 4 Rainsong guitars. They are always hanging up throughout the house when I’m not playing them. If you ever make it out to South Dakota would be fun to meet and play guitars.
Small world, Markcarl - we used to live in Spearfish (for about 21 years). May get back there (to Hart Ranch) for a couple months again this summer, because it's the best motorcycle riding in the country. And there is always a guitar with us in the motorhome... it's the X7 on this trip.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Small world, Markcarl - we used to live in Spearfish (for about 21 years). May get back there (to Hart Ranch) for a couple months again this summer, because it's the best motorcycle riding in the country. And there is always a guitar with us in the motorhome... it's the X7 on this trip.
Yes, it is, Captain Jim. I moved to Spearfish last summer from Colorado where I lived the last 30 years. It was getting too crowded for me. Around a month after I moved here I got laid off from my job where I had arranged to work remote. It was a very stressful time. I started playing the guitar a lot more for my sanity. I found another job and love it here. Would be fun to meet if / when you find your way out here. I have a 2nd X20 on order - this one with a Koa veneer.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, it is, Captain Jim. I moved to Spearfish last summer from Colorado where I lived the last 30 years. It was getting too crowded for me. Around a month after I moved here I got laid off from my job where I had arranged to work remote. It was a very stressful time. I started playing the guitar a lot more for my sanity. I found another job and love it here. Would be fun to meet if / when you find your way out here. I have a 2nd X20 on order - this one with a Koa veneer.
We'll see how things play out for this summer. It's in the planning stage currently. Spearfish is a great place to live... if not for the winter weather, we would still be there. We retired and moved away (about as far south as you can go and still be in the US) in 2006.

Three Emeralds for me: an X7, X10, and X20. Each delightfully unique.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
We'll see how things play out for this summer. It's in the planning stage currently. Spearfish is a great place to live... if not for the winter weather, we would still be there. We retired and moved away (about as far south as you can go and still be in the US) in 2006.

Three Emeralds for me: an X7, X10, and X20. Each delightfully unique.
I’ve only been in Spearfish since June so this is my first winter here! I was in Colorado a long time so I am used to the winters there. I may be a Snowbird someday when I retire if I can afford it. Florida sounds good…

Four Rainsongs for me: an Al Petteway Signature, 25 Year Anniversary, WS1000 Reissue, and CH-OM1000NS

One Emerald X20

For wood guitars:

Martin OMC28VLJ (Madagascar Rosewood / Adirondack top)
Collings OMC1A
Collings OMC2HA
Taylor GS-Mini
Godin Multiac SA

Electrics:

Gibson Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster
Old 02-07-2023, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’ve only been in Spearfish since June so this is my first winter here! I was in Colorado a long time so I am used to the winters there. I may be a Snowbird someday when I retire if I can afford it. Florida sounds good…

Four Rainsongs for me: an Al Petteway Signature, 25 Year Anniversary, WS1000 Reissue, and CH-OM1000NS

One Emerald X20

For wood guitars:

Martin OMC28VLJ (Madagascar Rosewood / Adirondack top)
Collings OMC1A
Collings OMC2HA
Taylor GS-Mini
Godin Multiac SA

Electrics:

Gibson Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster
You have probably heard Spearfish referred to as "the Banana Belt of the Black Hills" - the weather is generally better there in the winter compared to higher elevations.

You have good taste in guitars!
Old 02-08-2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
You have probably heard Spearfish referred to as "the Banana Belt of the Black Hills" - the weather is generally better there in the winter compared to higher elevations.

You have good taste in guitars!
Thanks! You do too!

Yes, I have. So far the weather has seemed similar to what I saw by the foothills in Fort Collins, CO.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks! You do too!

Yes, I have. So far the weather has seemed similar to what I saw by the foothills in Fort Collins, CO.
That's a good comparison - with Ft Collins being at 5,000' elevation, and Spearfish at 3,648', the offset of elevation and latitude kind of even out. Both are pleasant towns, but I do like the small town feel of Spearfish.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
That's a good comparison - with Ft Collins being at 5,000' elevation, and Spearfish at 3,648', the offset of elevation and latitude kind of even out. Both are pleasant towns, but I do like the small town feel of Spearfish.
I agree. There’s a website named Weatherspark that compares the weather between different locations. It’s fun to play with it. Here’s how it compares Spearfish and Fort Collins:

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/4...d-Fort-Collins

I hope you do make it out to the Black Hills again sometime Captain Jim and I get to play your X7! I think I would like it.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree. There’s a website named Weatherspark that compares the weather between different locations. It’s fun to play with it. Here’s how it compares Spearfish and Fort Collins:

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/4...d-Fort-Collins

I hope you do make it out to the Black Hills again sometime Captain Jim and I get to play your X7! I think I would like it.
As of right now, plans are shaping up for us to spend some time in the Black Hills again this summer. A semi-commitment that would have put me elsewhere may have been dodged, so let's stay in touch.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Nothing to do with "sinning" this morning. I received a comment (well, actually: a question) on my blog today, from a post from 4 1/2 years ago: the day I received my X10. I still think of that guitar as "my new one."

Besides the short scale (24.6") that I ordered, I also had the back and sides done with Emerald's "Crystal Ice" finish. I like that finish; have it on two of my three Emeralds. The question on the blog was if I still like that Crystal Ice finish. Answer: absolutely! It doesn't show wear, like a nick or bump might do with the gloss finish. It is just a bit of texture that helps the guitar sit on your lap, without being "grabby." (I played a McPherson Touring a couple weeks ago, and I found that texture on the back and sides to be grabby.) The Crystal Ice has a nice "feel" to it.

The gentleman was thinking about getting that finish on the back and sides of an X20 he is about to order. I don't know if Emerald is offering that "Crystal Ice" as an option anymore. At the time, there was no up-charge to get that... but it had only been a couple years since they had their Opus and Artisan series... and WAY before the 3D Builder.

I don't catch every Emerald Friday Shipping Video... is anyone getting the Crystal Ice finish on the back and sides these days?
Old 02-22-2023, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't catch every Emerald Friday Shipping Video... is anyone getting the Crystal Ice finish on the back and sides these days?
I’m sure I’ve seen one or two go by with Crystal Ice back and sides in the last few months. There’s no trace of the option anywhere on the website (as far as I know), so it looks like you can probably only get it if you know to ask for it.

When I was considering my first order in 2018, I was looking at an X20 Opus which had Crystal Ice as its standard finish. By the time I did order, the Opus was no more, so I got a nice shiny X20 Artisan instead. I think I’d have been happy either way back then, but I don’t think I’d order it by choice now.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber