The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-29-2023, 09:08 AM

Default Puncture repair

Several years ago, I grabbed a rasp off of the self and it slipped out of the handle and fell- brace yourself- right through the side of my D-28. The handle was still in my hand and I couldn’t believe this had happened.

Anyway- I’m getting ready to do some repairs to this guitar and I’m not sure how to fix this. The piece of wood is still attached to the side but it pushed inside and it won’t come back out through the hole. I try to push it back in place by reaching inside and pushing but the wood fibers are such that it won’t come back into place.
I see these repair magnets but if I can’t push it with my finger I doubt if the magnet would pull it back either.

I can’t post a pic, but would love to hear a suggestion if you have one.

Thanks.

Maybe I can describe the damage a little bit better. The guitar was upright in a stand and the half round rasp fell straight down onto the upper bout side a few inches from the neck about midway of the side. The wood is curved a little at this spot. The puncture is in line with the grain (EIR) and is about 1/4” wide X 3/4” long. The little piece of wood is still attached on one end and sticks into the box. There is no damage surrounding the hole. It is not near the kerfing or one of the cloth liners.

Last edited by Splinters; 01-29-2023 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:49 AM

Splinters -

The basic repair is a very straightforward thing for someone with hobby\model maker skills.

The best option is to keep the piece attached and trim around the edge until it pops back in. The trick is not trimming so much that it falls through. Patience is a virtue here. You’ll likely need to fill the small gap around the edge too. Thicker CA glue with tinting works for this. And accept the fact that the piece will possibly break off and you’ll have a slightly more complicated repair - same concept, but positioning the piece gets trickier.

The magnetic clamps are great, but I suggest fabricating a caul to keep it in place (thin metal like aluminum or copper flashing would likely work well) while you are gluing.

Finally, the difference between a good repair and a great repair, is how well you hide it. And that class takes years to complete!

Best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 01-29-2023 at 09:56 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair