The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-24-2023, 04:11 PM

Default Newbie help with stringing vintage guitar that has 2 holes on tuner

It has been many years since I restrung a guitar. Recently got a vintage 60s folk/classical nylon string guitar. I got the strings tied on the bridge but just realized the tuning machines have two holes each. I can't find any tutorials or info anywhere explaining how to tie strings onto something like this.

Any help?

Again, I'm a newbie. Treat this question like I know nothing

Here is a previous thread I started about this particular guitar if it's helpful:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=655635

Last edited by warbond; 01-24-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

From the picture, I’d say use the outer hole of the pair, and wind toward the centre. No need to tie anything at this end.

Those tuners look as if they were designed for steel strings, not nylon, though. You may want to put a little tension on the string before you start winding, otherwise you’re going to fill up that gap pretty quickly, and perhaps even end up with more than one layer.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-24-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
From the picture, I’d say use the outer hole of the pair, and wind toward the centre. No need to tie anything at this end.

Those tuners look as if they were designed for steel strings, not nylon, though. You may want to put a little tension on the string before you start winding, otherwise you’re going to fill up that gap pretty quickly, and perhaps even end up with more than one layer.
Interesting. Inside the sound hole it says "use nylon strings only" and it definitely seems like the original tuners.

So should I just string this "normally"? Just really trying to find a YouTube video that gives me a step by step!

Last edited by warbond; 01-24-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbond View Post
Interesting. Inside the sound hole it says "use nylon strings only" and it definitely seems like the original tuners.

So should I just string this "normally"? Just really trying to find a YouTube video I can find
I’d only use nylon strings based on that. Nylon-strung guitars typically have tuners with much fatter barrels than yours, as the strings stretch way more than steel strings as you tune up, and thus need more space to absorb the length as you bring them up to tension.

Perhaps providing some more detail about the actual guitar in question would be helpful.

I should bow out of the discussion at this point, as I don’t even own a nylon-strung guitar. Maybe someone with actual experience can help out
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-24-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I’d only use nylon strings based on that. Nylon-strung guitars typically have tuners with much fatter barrels than yours, as the strings stretch way more than steel strings as you tune up, and thus need more space to absorb the length as you bring them up to tension.

Perhaps providing some more detail about the actual guitar in question would be helpful.

I should bow out of the discussion at this point, as I don’t even own a nylon-strung guitar. Maybe someone with actual experience can help out
Here is a previous thread I started about this particular guitar if it's helpful:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=655635
Old 01-24-2023, 09:05 PM

Anybody have any other pointers? Really confused and have been dying to get this thing strung so I can play it haha
Old 01-24-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:

When you say no need to tie anything at this end, do you mean I would just stick the string through the outer hole (without tying it or anything) and wind towards the center?
Old 01-24-2023, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi,
I've never seen that either on a tuner, but if it were me, I would just use one of those holes to secure the string. Then you'll be like everyone else.
And pick the hole that allows you to align the strings in as straight a fashion as you can. i.e. you want to avoid sharp angles from the nut to the tuners.
Here is a pic of my classical to show you. You can use it as a guide. As you can see, on the high and low E strings, 6 and 1, I tend to wind towards the outside, and on strings 5, 4, 3 and 2, the windings go more towards the inside.
That way, I can provide each string a pretty straight shot from the nut to the tuner.
Good luck, but I think you'll get the idea. It's really not hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg classical headstock.jpg (31.7 KB, 33 views)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-24-2023, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

some old machine heads/tuning pegs( that ive seen) were designed to be used in multiple styles of guitars with 2 sets of holes on each peg to facilitate using on a slot head guitar (like yours) where the set of holes closer to the gears would be used to tie onto, where as if they were installed on a standard non slot headstock they would tie on to the holes further from the gear end (as that depth is thicker for the barrels to go through) imo and experience anyway. vintage suppliers still sell them today. i have also seen ppl use the two sets of holes to facilitate tying the strings in the traditional way ( like previous poster stated) with the 2 E strings being tied differently (string angle/stress etc)

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom

Last edited by ssstewart; 01-24-2023 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling error

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical