The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-01-2022, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone record with their acoustic-electric classical?

I'm thinking about maybe getting an acoustic-electric classical or a crossover. How do they record (tonally) with direct line in?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-01-2022, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I used to record a lot with my Gibson Chet Atkins CEC model. I would plug directly into the board dry, and then subsequently add some effects. I think it worked really well. I'm planning on doing it again with a new Sand electric-classical that I have.
I have some samples of old converted analog files I could post on Soundcloud to give you an idea.
I can't seem to get the SOundcloud file to post correctly on here though. How do you do that? Seems different than YouTube. The forum FAQ didn't help me.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-01-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
I used to record a lot with my Gibson Chet Atkins CEC model. I would plug directly into the board dry, and then subsequently add some effects. I think it worked really well. I'm planning on doing it again with a new Sand electric-classical that I have.
I have some samples of old converted analog files I could post on Soundcloud to give you an idea.
I can't seem to get the SOundcloud file to post correctly on here though. How do you do that? Seems different than YouTube. The forum FAQ didn't help me.
Once you create your page profile you can just click on "upload" file on the profile page's "menu bar." Then follow the directions.

I use wav files because I read somewhere that soundcloud compresses your upload. If you upload a mp3 it will be doubly compressed I suppose.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-01-2022, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Once you create your page profile you can just click on "upload" file on the profile page's "menu bar." Then follow the directions.

I use wav files because I read somewhere that soundcloud compresses your upload. If you upload a mp3 it will be doubly compressed I suppose.
Thanks Barry.
I do have a Soundcloud account, so the file is uploaded at the Souncloud site and I have the url link to share it.
My problem is displaying that as a Soundcloud file into a forum post, where you can just click on it, like you have it. It keeps telling me my Soundcloud supplied file isn't a valid url:

Like YouTube files, it must have to do with the actual file info that is wrapped around the Soundcloud icon above. It doesn't seem to require the same kind of truncating that YouTube files need in order to display.
What is the trick to getting the file to show up?
Do you have to alter the url file content info in some way before wrapping it up using the forum Soundcloud icon?

It's no big deal. The file is an old analog one that I converted over to digital. So, the audio is not the greatest. On top of that, it's an MP3, so it's super compressed as you mentioned.
My point was just to show you that plugging in directly into the mixer with essentially a nylon string electric guitar, really does work. It doesn't sound like a classical, but it has its own character, which I happened to like.

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 10-01-2022, 06:58 PM

Does Willie Nelson's nylon string Martin with the original Baldwin pickup count?
Old 10-01-2022, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Barry.
I do have a Soundcloud account, so the file is uploaded at the Souncloud site and I have the url link to share it.
My problem is displaying that as a Soundcloud file into a forum post, where you can just click on it, like you have it. It keeps telling me my Soundcloud supplied file isn't a valid url:

Like YouTube files, it must have to do with the actual file info that is wrapped around the Soundcloud icon above. It doesn't seem to require the same kind of truncating that YouTube files need in order to display.
What is the trick to getting the file to show up?
Do you have to alter the url file content info in some way before wrapping it up using the forum Soundcloud icon?

It's no big deal. The file is an old analog one that I converted over to digital. So, the audio is not the greatest. On top of that, it's an MP3, so it's super compressed as you mentioned.
My point was just to show you that plugging in directly into the mixer with essentially a nylon string electric guitar, really does work. It doesn't sound like a classical, but it has its own character, which I happened to like.
Like this..... Quote my post to see what I did. You have to select "Share" under the tune and then copy the full link and then paste it here and wrap it in the soundcloud tags. You were close, but somehow something got messed up. The "share" info I got from your tune is different than the one you posted. Look at after the "si="

If you make the tune downloadable I can clean up that vacuum cleaner background you have going on there.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-01-2022, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Like this..... Quote my post to see what I did. You have to select "Share" under the tune and then copy the full link and then paste it here and wrap it in the soundcloud tags. You were close, but somehow something got messed up. The "share" info I got from your tune is different than the one you posted. Look at after the "si="

If you make the tune downloadable I can clean up that vacuum cleaner background you have going on there.
Thanks Barry!
Yeah, I see that. The info after "si=" is much different.
How the heck did you figure that part out? Or did you copy a link from my Soundcloud page?
Yes, I'd love for you to clean it up if you can. If you notice, it does clean itself up some starting at the :48 second mark, all the way till the end. I don't know what happened at the beginning. I probably messed up doing the analog to digital conversion and never checked it closely.
Do I need to make it downloadable from the Soundcloud site for you to get the MP3?
Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that it's not only possible to go in directly into the mixer with those types of guitars, but it might even be desirable. In the original recording (into a Tascam Porta 2 4 track cassette recorder) I recorded each part of the duet twice, which kinda thickened the sound in a good way (as opposed to just copying and pasting the identical track), and added some reverb in the final mix.
It was a good take. It's too bad the modern digitized version of the audio is so poor, which kinda spoils the music, but I only wanted to make the point that direct in is definitely a good option when recording with these type guitars. With modern equipment, it would have sounded really clean I bet. I do have new equipment and software now, so I'll see how it goes with this new guitar.

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 10-01-2022, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Barry!
Yeah, I see that. The info after "si=" is much different.
How the heck did you figure that part out? Or did you copy a link from my Soundcloud page?
Yes, I'd love for you to clean it up if you can. If you notice, it does clean itself up some starting at the :48 second mark, all the way till the end. I don't know what happened at the beginning. I probably messed up doing the analog to digital conversion and never checked it closely.
Do I need to make it downloadable from the Soundcloud site for you to get the MP3?
Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that it's not only possible to go in directly into the mixer with those types of guitars, but it might even be desirable. In the original recording (into a Tascam Porta 2 4 track cassette recorder) I recorded each part of the duet twice, which kinda thickened the sound in a good way (as opposed to just copying and pasting the identical track), and added some reverb in the final mix.
It was a good take. It's too bad the modern digitized version of the audio is so poor, which kinda spoils the music, but I only wanted to make the point that direct in is definitely a good option when recording with these type guitars. With modern equipment, it would have sounded really clean I bet. I do have new equipment and software now, so I'll see how it goes with this new guitar.
Andre,

Yes I got the "share" info from your tune, but I quoted your post and then compared the two links.

For me to download the tune you have to "edit" the tune and click on "Permissions" and then "enable direct downloads" and then "Save changes"

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2022, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Andre,

Yes I got the "share" info from your tune, but I quoted your post and then compared the two links.

For me to download the tune you have to "edit" the tune and click on "Permissions" and then "enable direct downloads" and then "Save changes"
Thanks Barry, done!
It should work now. If not, let me know.
TIA for trying to salvage that poor file. Any improvement will be a plus.

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 10-02-2022, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Barry, done!
It should work now. If not, let me know.
TIA for trying to salvage that poor file. Any improvement will be a plus.
Here you go Andre. You can download it. I got the hum out and boosted the bass a little.

For comparison:

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2022, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Barry, great job!
You're a wizard. You eliminated that trebly hiss at the beginning. It no longer sounds like it's coming from an old transistor radio at the edge of its range. Very cool.
I was also able to download it. It's no longer compressed either. It went to a .wav from an MP3.
Thanks again! I have to get with the program with this high tech stuff.

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 10-08-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

So I bought a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra. It should be here next week.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical