The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-08-2022, 11:02 PM

Default Noob Question about Saddle & Fret Buzz

I'm new to guitars and appreciate everyone's patience.

My understanding is that a saddle should not have grooves in it as shown in the photo below. Is my understanding correct? It's a 2018 Martin DJr 2 Sapele.

I ask because this week the guitar has been buzzing more on the lower frets. It does not buzz above the 7th fret and the strings which buzz the most correlate with more grooves in the saddle. The 2nd and 3rd strings are super annoying.

if it matters, two weeks ago it went into a case with humidity packs. It might not have been in anything other than a gig bag prior. Humidity in Atlanta can fluctuate wildly and going from 65% to 25% (or vice versa) with a passing front is common. Humidity inside the case has been hovering at 48% to 50%.

Ultimately a luthier will fix the buzz but I like to learn and lurking in the forums has taught me a lot already. Information and/or correction from those more experienced is warmly welcomed.

-Tim-
Old 01-08-2022, 11:23 PM

If the saddle was causing the buzz it wouldn't stop at the 7th (or any) fret. It could be a nut slot issue or more likely a high 6th or 7th fret.

As far as saddle slots - I'm used to seeing them (but maybe not quite as deep as yours) on compensated saddles. It also looks like not all your strings are actually in the saddle slots. I'd fix that first.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:14 AM

I'm sorry. I was unclear.

The buzz sounded like it was coming from the higher frets (14+) but was only manifest when fingering frets 1 to 7. When fretting higher frets (close to the body) it doesn't buzz.

Also, I had assumed the buzz was coming from the higher frets but was able to put my ear close while the guitar was laid flat. The buzz is definitely coming from the saddle area, not the frets.

There's actually two or three grooves/slots in the saddle under each of the 1, 2 and 3 strings. I've moved the strings around to the other grooves with no improvement.

-Tim-

Last edited by TTiimm; 01-09-2022 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

Oddly the Martin juniors seem to come with grooves in the saddle. I have 2 and both have it since new. Not sure why and I originally thought it was weird wear but then I checked the other and both had it
Old 01-09-2022, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

That saddle appears to have an outer layer that is different from the underlying material. What's that all about?
Old 01-09-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
That saddle appears to have an outer layer that is different from the underlying material. What's that all about?
That's probably "aging" of the outer color from UV light and you see the original color in the groove. I have TUSQ saddles and nuts that have turned to a tan color; almost light brown.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

1- it looks like it is in backwards. The A string appears to be resting on the compensated b.
So that’s possibly why the saddle grooves are being recut.
Strings will create their own grooves.
This may have nothing to do with the buzz you’re concerned about, but if I were you, I would order a new bone saddle from Bob Colosi, and it installed along with your setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair