The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-31-2021, 11:33 AM

Default Tuning machines

Hello everyone,
I have a Hohner HG27 dreadnought guitar. I want to replace the tuning machines, but not sure about the size. I know I need 3x3.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 12-31-2021, 12:29 PM

Comparing Google search pics of your guitar, it looks like maybe these could fit....

A lot depends on:
1. What don't you like about the current tuning machines?
2. What do you want in the new tuning machines?
3. What are your skills, tools, experience?
4. Do you need drop-in replacements or are you willing to plug/drill as needed to fit new tuning machines?

FWIW I've replaced tuning machines on 7 instruments and only once did I not have to drill anything to fit them.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:04 PM

If you have the 3 on a plate type tuners, the distance between posts is important as well as the hole diameter.

If your tuners are individual or you are switching to individual tuners you mostly only need to worry about post diameter.

Most modern sealed gear tuners require a 3/8" hole or slightly larger metric equivalent.
Most open gear tuners use 1/4" holes but may have a bushing that requires a counter sunk hole on the front.

The sealed gear types are easier with usually only the single size hole and one mounting screw. Readily available on amazon.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:26 PM

Depends on how picky OP is...inexpensive sealed tuners can be found on E*** all day. I've bought several sets and used them and the results were just fine. I've also found some that were so rough that they made a return trip to the (US) vendor. Adjusting the tension on the screw, there's only one on a tuner, regulated stiffness and made some seemingly poor performers work nicely. I suspect many inexpensive aftermarket tuners are better performers than OEM tuners on an inexpensive guitar. I've seen (and bought) tuners taken off a new upmarket guitar and these have worked out well, too. Inexpensive and virtually new.

Last edited by phavriluk; 12-31-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:24 PM

The type of tuner pictured is generally low quality. There are no higher quality direct replacements. Those tuners generally have a 6mm post, with a larger 8 to 10mm hole in the peghead to accomodate press-in bushings.
Most individual enclosed tuners available today require a 10mm hole in the peghead, and one screw hole below the shaft. It is either directly below the shaft hole, or offset to the inside. In my experience, that hole will not match up with the existing bottom screw hole on your guitar.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
If you have the 3 on a plate type tuners, the distance between posts is important as well as the hole diameter.

If your tuners are individual or you are switching to individual tuners you mostly only need to worry about post diameter.

Most modern sealed gear tuners require a 3/8" hole or slightly larger metric equivalent.
Most open gear tuners use 1/4" holes but may have a bushing that requires a counter sunk hole on the front.

The sealed gear types are easier with usually only the single size hole and one mounting screw. Readily available on amazon.

I'll tell you from experience, an advertised 1/4" roller diameter can range from 0.24" - .029" depending on the brand. I've mic'ed every set I install. Enclosed machines typically have screw-on bushings that vary quite a bit as well. So I often have to ream the roller post hole tit a slightly larger roller, then countersink from the front to accomodate a larger bushing. The open gear press-in bushing OD varies a lot between brands as well. It's just as likely that the new machines will be smaller than the existing ones, and there are other options/challenges to get those to fit.

Without a precision measurement of your existing machines and the same (or an engineering drawing) for the new machines, you just don't know until you do it whether it's going to fit.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:09 PM

Default Tuner solution for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmotto View Post
Hello everyone,
I have a Hohner HG27 dreadnought guitar. I want to replace the tuning machines, but not sure about the size. I know I need 3x3.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=623395&page=2

You may want to check out the above link as I went through a very similar issue on a 70's Alvarez with the same style tuners. The Gotoh SXB510V's I swapped in are hands down the best tuners I have ever used, beating out the Waverly and Shaller tuners on my pricier boutiquey guitars. It should be a fairly straight forward swap, and I provide a loose step by step in above link. Reach out if you have any questions.

In my opinion if the guitar sounds good and you enjoy playing it, it is a worthwhile investment regardless of the "market value" of the guitar. I felt that way about my Alvarez and that guitar sounds amazing and can seriously hang with the best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair