The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-08-2022, 07:54 AM

Default Shure MV88+ on the way

Gonna try this one. Found one of the older packaging models offered by Jeff Bezos.

Thanks for al the input.

Anyone want to but my first generation Zoon q2N? Great for recording rehearsals of the band. $100 bucks shipped.

Scott
Old 01-18-2022, 04:38 PM

Well, two attempts, two failures in setting up the mic to work with my 7th generation I pad. Sometimes the ipad sees it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I get to my devices page, sometimes I get a Shure marketing page. Can't hear the mic through direct monitor pug in to back of mic. On board Ipad camera doesn't see mic. Camera ap settings don't allow for a change in sound source. Red the quick set up guide. No help
I've deleted and re-installed tge Motive + ap, updated firmware on the mic, fiddled with mic, done a sample vid with mic plugged in

What am I missing?
Old 01-19-2022, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

That's a bummer.

It sounds like you've done this multiple times, but just to be sure, here's all I did:
- installed the Shure MOTIV Audio app (haven't tried the video app)
- connect the mic to my iPhone (11 Pro Max) or my 12.9" 1st-gen (2015) iPad Pro
- start the MOTIV app (either before or after connecting the mic)
- the mic shows up in the app
- adjust gain etc to what I want
- start the iPhone camera app and record video

That's about it. Works the same way on either the iPhone or iPad. I wonder if you received a defective cable (or mic).

BTW, if you're not hearing anything in the headphones you have plugged into the back of the mic, tap on the little headphones icon near the top of the screen in the MOTIV app (assuming you can get the mic to connect). Then move the "Direct Monitoring" slider all the way to the right so 100% of the mic is going to the headphones. The default setting is all the way to the left (Monitoring), so unless you change that you won't hear anything in the headphones.

While testing this out again this morning, as luck would have it, I plugged the mic into the phone and nothing happened - much as you described. First time that's happened. I unplugged it and re-inserted and all was fine.

motiv.jpg motiv2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
Well, two attempts, two failures in setting up the mic to work with my 7th generation I pad. Sometimes the ipad sees it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I get to my devices page, sometimes I get a Shure marketing page. Can't hear the mic through direct monitor pug in to back of mic. On board Ipad camera doesn't see mic. Camera ap settings don't allow for a change in sound source. Red the quick set up guide. No help
I've deleted and re-installed tge Motive + ap, updated firmware on the mic, fiddled with mic, done a sample vid with mic plugged in

What am I missing?
Old 01-19-2022, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I bought an AKG Lyra, which will plug directly into your phone, iPad or computer for my gf's music classes she teaches at a university here in L.A. I arrived that that decision because it seamlessly acts as it's own interface, has a microphone gain control, a headphone jack with separate volume and four different polar patterns plus a mute button. Her students constantly compliment her on how great she sounds in the online classes. The only negative was that the built-in table stand transmitted noise from the rest of the house but you can quickly remove that and screw it to a regular mic stand to fix that.

They seem to be going for $100-$150 but I found an open box version for about $90.

https://www.akg.com/lyra.html
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 01-20-2022, 10:02 AM

Is there an app to control it?
Old 01-20-2022, 04:43 PM

Default APP?

Does it require an app, or undue fiddling with IOS settings? Does her mobil device or 'puter "see" the mic automatically?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
I bought an AKG Lyra, which will plug directly into your phone, iPad or computer for my gf's music classes she teaches at a university here in L.A. I arrived that that decision because it seamlessly acts as it's own interface, has a microphone gain control, a headphone jack with separate volume and four different polar patterns plus a mute button. Her students constantly compliment her on how great she sounds in the online classes. The only negative was that the built-in table stand transmitted noise from the rest of the house but you can quickly remove that and screw it to a regular mic stand to fix that.

They seem to be going for $100-$150 but I found an open box version for about $90.

https://www.akg.com/lyra.html
Old 01-20-2022, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

She's been using the Lyra with a MacBookPro. The only thing you need to do is go to the Sounds Control Panel in System Preferences and choose that mic rather than the internal mic. There is no other software needed since you have a gain control and headphone volume control built in to the mic itself.

I wanted to keep it as simple as easy for her with as few steps as possible to get her sessions going and this seemed like one of the better solutions. I could have brought home a spare Apollo for her and used that but she's not tech oriented and it would have been overkill. I'll have to plug it into my iPhone and try it there, but according to AKG's website, which I referenced, there should not be an issue there either.
'02 Goodall GC
Deering Maple Blossom
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 01-21-2022, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

I just checked the box for the AKG and either it didn't come with the USB-C to Lightning cable or I misplaced it. I ordered one from Amazon this afternoon that they say will be here tomorrow. I'll plug it into my phone and report back.
'02 Goodall GC
Deering Maple Blossom
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 01-23-2022, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

So, in order to make this mic work with you iPhone you need to use the Apple Camera Adapter, which gives you a Lightning to USB port and it then recognized by your phone. You also have to then plug in you charging cable to the adapter because the mic draws too much power on its own for the phone, but I've been playing around with it, right now just plugged into my laptop using Logic, the mic works fine and sounds pretty good. Not like my Lauten Audio's but not bad either.
'02 Goodall GC
Deering Maple Blossom
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 02-04-2022, 09:54 AM

Default Mv88

Up and running. Issues resolved by slowing fast fingers and allowing ap to make handshake with previous generation iPad. Easy to use, simple, non-geeky sound tweaking options even a cave dweller can understand. Tried posting WAV file with demo was rejected for some kind of security problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD