The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 AM

Looking forward to seeing how you like your setup when you get it up and rolling. I saw those videos last night sounds nice and clear, well put together
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
The UR44 looks like what I need, like the features. I'm sure the 22is exactly the same with half the i/o correct? Looks like about $300 see some make offer ads. Ipad compatible (wonder if you still have to buy the $50 cubasis app?) I suppose one of each mic would be the best of both worlds. I kinda like the idea of two SDC like the cad's for cost and simplicity
Hey I forgot to mention one feature that may be of some use. The DSP channel software has a phase switch which is not on the actual hardware. Now I can' t vouch whether it is effective, but if it is viable, then that could be very handy if one has such a hard time with phase issues using 2 mics.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As long as I'm hijacking the op thread here I'll continue a bit... I believe the decision is relevant

I mainly wanna pick out an interface, and mic(s) for my guitar primarily. I have no plan on upgrading my computer in the next coupe.. And by the sounds of it USB will work just fine. I'm thinking 5-6 tracks tops. Sounds like the akg120 isn't of the quality I'm looking for. I'm guna sample some videos of the cad e70's. I like what I've heard with the ADK A6 a lot sounds great. I also like the idea of stereo mics but have no experience with either. Budget vs rec quality is irrelevant to me to a certain degree. I don't mind spending a couple hundred extra if it's worth it.. (I'm sure that's a loaded question) if I went with the A6 would a SDC be a better stereo match for a complete sound or a pair of A6's?

I'm guna research the above listed interfaces, I appreciate all the responses. I'm glad there are those who know more than I do. Sure helps me out
Quote:
The UR44 looks like what I need, like the features. I'm sure the 22is exactly the same with half the i/o correct? Looks like about $300 see some make offer ads. Ipad compatible (wonder if you still have to buy the $50 cubasis app?) I suppose one of each mic would be the best of both worlds. I kinda like the idea of two SDC like the cad's for cost and simplicity
As far as an interface, you should decide how many preamps (mic inputs) you need. You could then consider the U22 vs the Focusrite 2i2, or the U44 vs the Focusrite 18i6.

As far as the DAW software. I'd strongly suggest trying out Reaper (free trial period with full functionality), and if it works well for you pay the $60.

If you're seriously considering (2) ADK A6's, versus (1) ADK A6 and a SDC, I could provide a couple of recordings for you to listen to. I recorded a fingerstyle acoustic guitar arrangement using (3) mics: an ADK A6 pointed toward the bridge; an ADK A6 pointed toward the neck/body join; an Oktava MC-012 SDC pointed toward the neck/body join. I mixed all 3 mics into a stereo recording:

http://soundcloud.com/chuck_s/fair-and-tender-maidens

If you want, I could make two separate mixes of this recording where: one mix could be an A6 on the lower bout and another A6 on the neck/body join; the other mix could be an A6 on the lower bout and the Oktava SDC on the neck/body join. For these mixes I would pan one mic hard left and the other hard right. This might give you some idea of what to expect for difference when combining two medium condenser mics versus one medium and one small condenser mic. However, I'm not sure how quick I would get this to you.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-06-2014, 11:03 AM

Does the DSP software come with the 22 and the 44? I really don't need 4 inputs if the 22 will do everything the 44 will? There is also done kinda toggle pad, not sure what that does? I was considering one A6 and one e70 for recording or two e70's as a pair. Not sure if there is going to be a noticeable difference between both setups. My Martin also has the aura so I could mix that in as a 3rd input as well. I still have a lot to learn about software and mixing and won't get any better till I get the equipment and get to work. Just trying to educate myself on something I have limited experience with. I'll take a listen to the recordings when I get home tonight. Thanks guys
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Does the DSP software come with the 22 and the 44? I really don't need 4 inputs if the 22 will do everything the 44 will? There is also done kinda toggle pad, not sure what that does? I was considering one A6 and one e70 for recording or two e70's as a pair. Not sure if there is going to be a noticeable difference between both setups. My Martin also has the aura so I could mix that in as a 3rd input as well. I still have a lot to learn about software and mixing and won't get any better till I get the equipment and get to work. Just trying to educate myself on something I have limited experience with. I'll take a listen to the recordings when I get home tonight. Thanks guys
No the DSP software is not included with the UR22. The toggle pad on the front is to engage HI-Z, on the back is a switch to engage +48v. Here is a comparison chart from Steinberg site
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...es/models.html
be sure to click on the round circle with a "V" in the middle so it expands more info. My thoughts are the same when buying a mixer, you try to get more i/o than you feel you need. If you never see any scenario for more than 2 in's and outs that indicates the nod for the UR22. Plus if cost is really a factor and doubling the price of an interface(UR44) wouldn't allow you to purchase the mics you really want then I would get the UR22. If you upgrade your machine or get a laptop you could keep the UR22 in your current machine and buy a UR44 or some else in the new machine. If you have a laptop you could use the UR22 if you have a powered usb hub. Even though the UR22 is buss powered I connect the included power supply. Like I mention before the UR44's phase switch may be a lifesaver when using 2 or more mics at a time.
Separate mixes for the outputs and 2 headphones. 2 separate mix for those 2 headphone outs could really be useful, so that is something to consider. If you imagine using an iPad from time to time the UR44 is the ticket there.
I don't know what DAW you are using. It seems like many lean toward Reaper but you do get a OEM light Version of Cubase(Ai).
Here again If it were me, being able to buy the mics I feel I really need is the most important equation. If buying the UR44 prohibits that then definitely go for the UR22. If you can somehow swing the UR44 and 2 mics, I would go that route. Just my $.02. I have vendors bookmarked in my browser for the best prices on the A6 and single e70's You already know where you can get the same e70 stereo bundle. My needs are different than yours. I record electric gtr. tube amps, synths, Electric Bass, my vocals plus both male and female singers, and some percussion. I also like to sample things. This is the reason I need a mic locker to cover those needs. I can see al kinds of scenarios recording acoustic guitars and with my voice even though many times it is very forceful and many times Baritone, I do have a Tenor range that is more delicate. The other vocalist may prefer one LDC over another. Let us know your final decision. I am confident you will make the appropriate choices. You really can't go wrong with the Steinberg UR series. Surprisingly very nice pre's at this price-point, and decent enough converters to satisfy your needs. I have no issues with the Asio drivers midi i/o is a good thing for me, perhaps not the case for you. The build quality is very solid but with my Headphone jack it is a little jiggly, but not much of a concern as other have mentioned.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Right now I'm leaning towards the UR 44 and a pair of E70's... I seem to be fond of the idea of 2 mics. I'm using a purchased version of mixcraft 6 I'm very familiars with it. I'm sure there is better DAW out there but I should be able to get my feet wet with the suggested above.

Is it common to pan each mic when mixing? I understand that phasing issues my occur the farther you separate the two mics. The phasing features of the 44 may eliminate that issue. Any recommendations on a place to shop the interface?
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Right now I'm leaning towards the UR 44 and a pair of E70's... I seem to be fond of the idea of 2 mics. I'm using a purchased version of mixcraft 6 I'm very familiars with it. I'm sure there is better DAW out there but I should be able to get my feet wet with the suggested above.

Is it common to pan each mic when mixing? I understand that phasing issues my occur the farther you separate the two mics. The phasing features of the 44 may eliminate that issue. Any recommendations on a place to shop the interface?
The phase switch on the interface most likely just inverts the phase of a channel; this is of benefit if for some reason one mic is 180 degrees out of phase relative to the other. The phase issue when using multiple mics is not so simple; the signals from multiple mics getting out of phase will be frequency dependent. The phasing issue can be controlled, when desired and if needed, by different micing techniques (X-Y, 3 to 1 rule when using spaced pair, etc). The phase of the signals will also be more, or less, of an issue depending on how you mix it (each mic panned hard left and hard right versus mic signals mixed onto a common track) and depending on how you are listening to it (speakers or headphones, stereo or mono).

Old 05-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The phase switch on the interface most likely just inverts the phase of a channel; this is of benefit if for some reason one mic is 180 degrees out of phase relative to the other. The phase issue when using multiple mics is not so simple; the signals from multiple mics getting out of phase will be frequency dependent. The phasing issue can be controlled, when desired and if needed, by different micing techniques (X-Y, 3 to 1 rule when using spaced pair, etc). The phase of the signals will also be more, or less, of an issue depending on how you mix it (each mic panned hard left and hard right versus mic signals mixed onto a common track) and depending on how you are listening to it (speakers or headphones, stereo or mono).
I did discuss this in post 27 and gave a description of the 3-1 rule
Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

I just upgraded my system and would be happy to sell you my MAudio MTrack for $50. Then you go to Amazon and buy an MXL V67g for $90. A cable will be around $10. That'll cover you for $150. It's very usable and will be a great starter setup.

Todd
Old 05-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I would be happy to sell you my MAudio MTrack for $50.

Money's isn't an option for me I would rather have the new with software. But thanks for the offer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Each time I review this info from every source I take in more info. I understand exactly whist your talking about. Panning understood, it almost seems as tho you could produce moving sounds through panning... (If they were lined up in time to do so) this is a direct result of "what happens, and when"

The 3-1, is that an "at least rule" the further away they get can you dial the gain in to bring line input more consistent prior to mix. Or is compression/other effects used to normalize the mix? Maybe I can start my own thread so we don't get this one to fouled up.
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
.....The 3-1, is that an "at least rule" ......
I consider the 3:1 rule (spaced pair micing) as a guideline. As the distance between the mics is increased, relative to the distance from the guitar to the mics, the phasing issues can be reduced.

However, it's a bunch of tradeoffs. For example, if you decide the best mic locations for the tone you want breaks the rule, then what do you do? If you move the mics closer to the guitar while keeping the distance between them you might have issues with proximity effect. If you increase the distance between the mics while keeping the distance to the guitar the same you might not pick up the tonal sweet spot you want.

For me, I usually use spaced pair stereo micing and relax/ignore the 3:1 rule. I usually have my mics in the range of 16-22" from the guitar and the distance between them is usually 30" or less. I don't playback in mono, so that's a non-issue. I usually put mic panned pretty much hard left and the other pretty much hard right, so that helps. Micing in X-Y could be used, but I've never liked the sound I get as well as a spaced pair.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:39 PM

I have the Focusrite Saffire 2i2 and it sounds very good. I would recommend it.

2003 Taylor 514ce
1987 EF 369 Solid Rosewood Takamine
1969 Yamaha FG180
1986 Fender Strat
1950s Harmony Airline
Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randysitz View Post
I have the Focusrite Saffire 2i2 and it sounds very good. I would recommend it.
I am sure this is a nice box,I found their specs at their site
http://http://us.focusrite.com/usb-a...specifications
One concern I would have is the mix pre's top out at 55db's The UR22 is @60, perhaps no biggie in some scenarios, but that rules out using s SM7b or a passive Ribbon w/o a Cloudlifter or Triton Audio FetHead. Also googling did show some driver issues. I personally enjoy having midi i/o on the UR22

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD