The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 05:17 PM

IMO it seems that tension pulls the neck and will, over some amount of time, lead to a neck reset in most, if not all, wooden guitars. Loosening the tension when the guitar is stored for an extended period would make that time longer. I’m no mechanical engineer but that just makes common sense to me.

I still don’t do it though.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

This is MY opinion. I won't argue with others, but if you played a guitar everyday - would that damage the neck set ?
So if you had that same guitar in its case with the same strings on for the same time ?
Why is that different (guitar doesn't know the difference.
But ... if you put the neck joint under tension, thern off tension etc., isn't that the same as pushing and pulling on it? seems to me that is like how you would deliberately loosen a joint.

In January 1983 I woke up virtually paralysed. Sarcoid they called it. Mt D35, Dobro and mandolin got put up in the attic (I couldn't bear to see my instruments that I couldn't play).
In 1993, I had recovered my ability to walk and use my hands etc, and decided to get my instruments down after ten summers and winters.

The D35 was pretty much still in tune. I relearnt how to play, and played it until 1996 when I sold it to a friend. It is 2024. he still plays it - but at 50 years old it is nearing time for a neck reset.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I’m a client of TJ and have a collection of vintage Martin and Gibsons. All are tuned to pitch, hanging out of their cases, 24/7/366 in a temperature/humidity-controlled room. Guitars are tools. Even $50,000+ ones. The average car nowadays is $50,000 and nice ones are $100,000+…should we not drive them? At least guitars with 100,000 miles are worth more and have the mojo that modern companies try to replicate with torrefaction and relicing. Can you imagine buying a modern 300SL gullwing relic'd? "Hey Mercedes..."

By the way, necks don’t need neck resets. It’s the body that deforms requiring the neck angle to be modified. All guitars will eventually need a neck reset and a refret. It’s just maintenance. I’ve never known a guitar that has needed more than 2 correctly performed neck resets as once the body deforms, it will not likely keep deforming (unless the first reset was done quite early, a second one may be required). Of my 22 or so guitars, at least half have been reset/refretted. No big deal. The average (for me) has been about 40 years to reset with the low outlier being my daily driver 3 years (a 2011 000-18NB still perfect) and my 1927 0-18K which was recently just reset for the first time after 95 years.

I have also seen many under-the-bed guitars and, yep, they need a reset and sound wonderful. The OP has 3 posts, (Welcome!) so I doubt he’s asking about 90-year-old guitars.

Life is short, just play your guitars....with the caveat that I live in a climate of 70 degrees and 50% humidity most days, but if I were leaving the country for 6 weeks, yeah, they'd all be in their cases de-tuned...you never know when the power goes out and that humidifier/HVAC system goes off…😉 Moderation is the key.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:13 PM

I’m a full time luthier. It strikes me funny that one can have a debate on whether or not to detune before storing, but no one has mentioned the truss rod.

The strings are pulling a neck in one direction, the truss rod is resisting that, usually by establishing tension in the opposite direction. Think about that a bit!
Old 03-05-2024, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
This is MY opinion. I won't argue with others, but if you played a guitar everyday - would that damage the neck set ?
So if you had that same guitar in its case with the same strings on for the same time ?
Why is that different (guitar doesn't know the difference.
But ... if you put the neck joint under tension, thern off tension etc., isn't that the same as pushing and pulling on it? seems to me that is like how you would deliberately loosen a joint.
This seems logical to me. I'm not into rigamarole regardless, so I guess my guitars are going to just have to live with it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-05-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Mullin View Post
I’m a full time luthier. It strikes me funny that one can have a debate on whether or not to detune before storing, but no one has mentioned the truss rod.

The strings are pulling a neck in one direction, the truss rod is resisting that, usually by establishing tension in the opposite direction. Think about that a bit!
Does the truss rod actually do anything to offset the pull of the strings on the neck joint, or is it more to affect the relief (bow) in the neck itself?
Old 03-05-2024, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Does the truss rod actually do anything to offset the pull of the strings on the neck joint, or is it more to affect the relief (bow) in the neck itself?
Neck resets are about adjusting for soundboards deforming under string tension - bellying behind the bridge, dipping in front and “folding” at the sound hole.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:30 PM

Injecting the neck joint into this discussion is not pertinent. In most cases when an older guitar with a dovetail is needing a reset, the joint is not at fault.
My experience with detuning without loosening the truss rod is that the back bow that often occurs will resolve itself in a short time after string tension is restored.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
The truss rod puts a bow in the neck, in balance with the string tension.
My 2c, if a guitar is going to need a reset, tuning down a bit won't make much difference. If you're tuning up/down a clot, you'll just have unstable tuning.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
If a guitar is not going to be played for long periods of time, then why subject it to 150-190 pounds of string tension?
Because if it has a truss rod, that truss rod is exerting an opposing tension on the neck, which without string tension is not being countered. I suppose if you detuned and made it so the truss rod was not exerting any force on the neck, it might be worth it.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Mullin View Post

Didn't make it to the second page before I posted, but this is correct.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:20 PM

The thing is .. this thread is asking about neck resets. Any well intentioned posts about neck joints (unless explaining their role in a neck reset) and truss rods are not about neck resets and can confuse those who are not familiar with guitar construction and maintenance.

I say it’s as simple as this: string tension would cause a guitar to fold in half if it had no structural strength. A guitar’s body does bend over time, up to a point, and that may necessitate re angling it’s neck/body joint to keep it playing nicely.
Logic says to me .. if string tension is removed for 1/10th of the guitar’s life it’ll go 1/10th longer without needing a reset. That’s probably insignificant and more nuisance than it’s worth, but it’s an answer to the OP’s question.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
The thing is .. this thread is asking about neck resets. Any well intentioned posts about neck joints (unless explaining their role in a neck reset) and truss rods are not about neck resets and can confuse those who are not familiar with guitar construction and maintenance.

I say it’s as simple as this: string tension would cause a guitar to fold in half if it had no structural strength. A guitar’s body does bend over time, up to a point, and that may necessitate re angling it’s neck/body joint to keep it playing nicely.
Logic says to me .. if string tension is removed for 1/10th of the guitar’s life it’ll go 1/10th longer without needing a reset. That’s probably insignificant and more nuisance than it’s worth, but it’s an answer to the OP’s question.
The truss rod may not cause or prevent a neck reset, but the truss rod without an opposing tension can affect the neck itself. It doesn't fix an issue to replace it with a different issue. If the neck is warped from that tension (taking into account some of the time frames being mentioned, not a month or two), then preventing the reset is meaningless.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
The truss rod may not cause or prevent a neck reset, but the truss rod without an opposing tension can affect the neck itself. It doesn't fix an issue to replace it with a different issue. If the neck is warped from that tension (taking into account some of the time frames being mentioned, not a month or two), then preventing the reset is meaningless.
Truss rod tension is a worthwhile point because a piece of wood bent for a long time can adopt the bend with increased longevity or tenacity and if someone was to remove string tension for long enough to allow that to happen, relaxing the truss rod too would be wise.
I’m not sure about the “preventing the reset is meaningless” bit unless you’re saying that a back bow makes a guitar worthless. We agree they are unrelated and bowed necks are very rarely permanent in my experience .. not that I’m recommending long term neck deformities or recommending anything for that matter. I was only pointing out that truss rods and neck joints are not the causes of neck resets being necessary .. but it seems they create some confusion.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher01 View Post
Hi All
Is it a good idea to loosen the strings on a guitar to postpone a neck reset?
My guitars are all in good condition but will having the strings at full tension for years have any affect on when they ill need a neck reset?
Thanks
If you want to minimize the need for a neck reset, maintain proper humidity so your top doesn't warp. Guitars were built to handle string tension; they weren't built to go from 15% humidity for months in the winter and then 80% humidity for months in the summer.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion