The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman E10ss/v

I have a history years back with the Eastman E10ss.

How do you all feel about them nowadays?
Old 03-05-2024, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Great question. I have a 2012 E10SS bought new is 2014 which I've tenaciously hung on to but the company has gone through some big changes since then.

If I was in the market today for a new guitar and I had a modest budget Eastman would be one of the first lines I'd look at.

Last edited by Bluenose; 03-05-2024 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2024, 08:16 AM

I’ve played several over the last year with one being absolutely stellar. The others were roughly average sounding, but I still think for the money they are a good buy for the right person.

The stellar one was at Music Outlet in east TN. Playing that particular guitar was what put Eastman on the map for me. An eye-opener. They were selling it for less than the average price, too, and I should’ve snatched it up. I can’t imagine it’s still there. It was a staff favorite in a store with MANY fantastic sounding guitars.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

The varnish finish really takes it up a notch on that model! The relic'd look isn't for everyone, but sound-wise, they compete with guitars that cost a lot more money. We find them to be a gutsy and very satisfying slope D.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 03-05-2024, 10:46 AM

Sal, I've got an E10ss/v from 2019 that has been opening up slowly but surely over the time I've had it. I think it looks fantastic and sounds fantastic as well. I will note that the varnish finish is quite thin, which has pluses and minuses.

One thing to note is that after the Eastman acquisition of Bourgeois guitars, Eastman started making changes across their line up. One immediate thing was that they switched from nitro to the poly finish that Bourgeois uses (Truetone). Not my favorite update although it is much tougher than nitro so minimizes small dings. I have a couple of the new truetone finished guitars and can't really complain, but if you prefer nitro, then you'll need to source an older one.

Another thing to note is that Eastman started making changes in dimensions to some of their standard guitars. I know for a fact that they took their square shoulder dreads and changed the size to match Bourgeois dreads, which made them smaller in width and depth to their earlier models. Also, not a change I was a big fan of.

I'm not sure if Eastman changed the size of their slope shoulder guitars, but I wouldn't doubt it. Annoyingly, Eastman did not announce these changes, so owners have only realized it when comparing newer models to the older ones.

I expect them to still be fantastic guitars, but just flagging that there have been some significant changes the last couple of years.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Wow. A treasure of information here. Thanks guys.

I know I won’t replace my old Gibson J45, and my main squeeze is a Martin 000 now, but I’d like to try something different and be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Wow. A treasure of information here. Thanks guys.

I know I won’t replace my old Gibson J45, and my main squeeze is a Martin 000 now, but I’d like to try something different and be pleasantly surprised.
E20SSv - you might be pleasantly surprised.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion