The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-12-2021, 01:34 PM

Default 432 or 440 tuning

Anyone prefer tuning their guitar to 432 rather than 440 ?
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 02-12-2021, 01:41 PM

By yourself, tune however you want. If you play music with others, they will likely be at 440.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 02-12-2021, 02:14 PM

I do, too.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:36 PM

Ok, I'll bite, out of curiosity. What's the point in tuning to 432Hz, as opposed to, say, 457Hz?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-12-2021, 03:55 PM

When I’m in a mellow mood I tune to 420.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Only when I pick up my guitar and it's out of tune but in tune with itself

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-12-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
By yourself, tune however you want. If you play music with others, they will likely be at 440.
^^ This. I sometimes tune down a half step to Eb, but that is always relative to A-440. I play with others routinely, so absolute pitch matters. I don't think there is any mystical property to A=432.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

What is that in terms of tones? Is that near a half-step down?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-13-2021, 03:47 AM

It's roughly a third of a semitone. Not enough to make any concrete difference to anything, but plenty enough to sound badly out of key if you play it together with something in standard tuning.

The idea of A=432 is that the frequency can be derived mathematically from certain natural forces or objects. It is, so the story goes, more in-tune with nature and the universe and they have the maths to "prove" it. It all sounds quite promising ... until you realise that their entire argument stands or falls on their maths, and their maths is based on the relationship between various natural measurements and .... wait for it .... the second. The length of a second, of course, is totally man-made. It has no connection with any natural law, force, or object. It's just an arbitary unit of more-or-less random length that someone decided would be as good a way of keeping time as any other. (And no, it is not even a whole fraction of a day or a year. It is just a made-up length of time.)

In short, setting A=432 has no possible benefit. If you don't want to play with anyone else, and your instrument is easily re-tuned (don't even think about a piano or a church organ) it does no harm, but it is entirely pointless.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
It's roughly a third of a semitone. Not enough to make any concrete difference to anything, but plenty enough to sound badly out of key if you play it together with something in standard tuning.

The idea of A=432 is that the frequency can be derived mathematically from certain natural forces or objects. It is, so the story goes, more in-tune with nature and the universe and they have the maths to "prove" it. It all sounds quite promising ... until you realise that their entire argument stands or falls on their maths, and their maths is based on the relationship between various natural measurements and .... wait for it .... the second. The length of a second, of course, is totally man-made. It has no connection with any natural law, force, or object. It's just an arbitary unit of more-or-less random length that someone decided would be as good a way of keeping time as any other. (And no, it is not even a whole fraction of a day or a year. It is just a made-up length of time.)

In short, setting A=432 has no possible benefit. If you don't want to play with anyone else, and your instrument is easily re-tuned (don't even think about a piano or a church organ) it does no harm, but it is entirely pointless.
Precisely, well said.

It's BS, in short.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Anyone prefer tuning their guitar to 432 rather than 440 ?
Hi 121

There are people who obsess about the reference frequency (frequencies) we tune to and apocrvaphyl stories about why. YouTube used to be full of everything from rants to long discussions.

I'm thankful for a set reference pitch (A=440). I can most often play along with YouTube videos when I'm learning a piece using the monkey-see-monkey-do process.

On a personal level…
The only benefit I've ever seen from changing reference pitches…
I sang in an a'capella choir for 5 years in college. On tours, when we hit very large auditoriums, our director would instruct the the person who hummed the reference pitch to make it slightly flat or sharp by a fraction of a semi-tone.

He'd also altar our tempo to match the reflective echo/reverb in the room.

His theory was the singers subconsciously know something had changed and become more attentive to pitch and dynamics etc. I think he was right. Some of our most memorable concerts (based on audience response, and we choir members talking about these concerts for days afterwards) were those where the reference pitch was altered.

I have zero issues with those who want it to be more 'special'/'unique'. I just see zero value to it.

[/size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write