The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-26-2019, 06:22 AM

Default Playing Pinky on 1st String

First off, apologies if this has been discussed... I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Beginner learning to use pinky on the first string when finger-picking the G chord. So using fingers 2, 3 and 4. I can't for the life of me get a good tone when using all 3 fingers to play the chord (i.e. buzzing only with this string, unless i play string on it's own, without fretting other strings).

Are there any tips/vids on HOW to do this successfully? Even if it's an hour tutorial, i don't mind.... it's bloody hard! lol

I know there's an alternative fingering I could use, but I'd like to try and persevere with this one.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2019, 06:28 AM

It is definitely the best way to play the G, because it leaves your first finger to play the sus note (C) on the B string, and the 6 note (E) on the D string easily.
Practice practice practice, you need to get the finger 'used' to doing it and to build up the muscle/tendon strength.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-26-2019, 06:33 AM

I agree with Mike: learning how to use your pinky is essential. There may or may not be any tutorials on how to do that online, but the only way to get it clean is to just keep practicing. It does take some work and you might get a sore fingertip until you develop a callous on that finger, but getting that to sound clean is absolutely worth the effort.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-26-2019, 06:37 AM

Sure it’s hard, it’s all hard. If it was easy everyone would be a guitarist.

We’ve all been there so don’t take my directness for dismissal of your frustration.

Spend whatever time you might use looking for a video or advice on how to play the chord, practicing the chord. It’s the only answer to your problem.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-26-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post

We’ve all been there so don’t take my directness for dismissal of your frustration.

Spend whatever time you might use looking for a video or advice on how to play the chord, practicing the chord. It’s the only answer to your problem.
Good advice. Most of the players here grew up without the internet so we just had someone show us how to make the shape and we practiced it over and over. There's no substitute for plain ol' practice.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:25 AM

Got it.

I guess i was thinking without having a teacher's input in person, i may be fingering it wrong... hand placement, angle (technique), etc., hence vid reference.

Will persevere.... (yikes!)

... and noted, re: worth the effort.

Here goes....

Thanks, all
Old 07-26-2019, 07:29 AM

That G chord is a challenge when you're starting out. But it's get easier with practice.

One thing I'd check is to make sure your fingertips all approach the fret board close enough to "straight up" (as, 90 degree angle from the fret board) that the fingers don't touch any other strings they're not supposed to. That will prevent buzzing from touching other strings.

The other thing I'd check is that your fingertips are pretty close to the fret that the string touches. If your fingers are too far from that fret, the pressure of the string on the fret is pretty weak, leaving the string free to rattle and buzz against the fret.

Have fun. I remember learning that G chord when I was about 14 years old, and thinking it was about the hardest thing I had ever tried to do.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:30 AM

That is a tricky chord, especially if you are still developing strength in your pinky. Two suggestions:

Try dropping your wrist or elevating the guitar neck (crossing your legs works for me) so your fingers are coming down on the fretboard as straight as possible.

Find a guitar tech you trust to make sure your guitar is set up for the lowest action without buzzing...a high nut will make that chord difficult to finger.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:35 AM

Hand and finger strength has a lot to do with it. The pinky is typical weakest of the fingers, and you need just as much strength in it for chording as the others. Using it and practice will build it up.

That said, I started out using fingers 1,2,3 for G chord. First use of pinky was for the F chord. Now, I switch back and fore on G chord fingering, depending on whats coming up, but seem to fall into using 2,3,4 most of the time. And in addition, there's a four finger version of the open G that I didn't find out about till I had 20 years playing time.

Decades ago, as a beginner, I had lessons with a teacher, using the Mel Bay Modern Guitar series. This came after I self-taught myself a number of chords, include that G. Two things that got drilled in early, and that made a world of difference on progress, was using all four fingers, and up/down picking. So stick with it, it pays.

Last edited by RickRS; 07-26-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:37 AM

Hard to know exactly what the problem is without seeing your hand position. My main advice is to 1) arch your fingers 2) keep at it while you strengthen the digits.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
This is one for the quote thread......

D
Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 AM

The point will come, with continued practice, when you can hammer-on the entire four-fingered G.

Believing that is the first step toward making it happen. (Assuming your guitar has already had a good setup. If it hasn't, do that first, and then start believing.)
Old 07-26-2019, 08:01 AM

Thanks, guys

Appreciate the advice.

Yep, it's more or less that I'm not used to it. I'm doing all the above, bar dropping wrist (which i'll definitely practice).

I can play it fairly cleanly if i press REALLY hard, but it's not consistent. It either ends up muted a tad, or buzzes a bit. In isolation it's no problem. So it's down to technique with all fingers involved.

According to an experienced electric guitarist, who saw the guitar recently, the action is great - the best he's seen - so it's me... lol.

Thanks again, guys
Old 07-26-2019, 08:04 AM

Pinkie independence is hard, but so worth it. I nearly always play a G chord with fingers 3 and 4 - this leaves 1 and 2 free for embellishments. Find a song with a riff involving the pinkie (Norwegian Wood comes to mind) and practice, practice, practice.

Have fun!
Old 07-26-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
That G chord is a challenge when you're starting out. But it's get easier with practice.

.... I remember learning that G chord when I was about 14 years old, and thinking it was about the hardest thing I had ever tried to do.
You obviously hadn’t encountered the F chord by that point, then!

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
pinky