The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Default Why does strumming seem so "clumsy" with a thumb pick?

For decades I've used nothing but a flat pick, but recently i have become determined to learn to use a thump pick to free up my fingers. What puzzles me is that I seem to making no progress in strumming, even when I grip the thump pick with my index finger like a flat pick. My strums are clumsy and it feels as though the pick in snagging on the strings. I've tried grinding the pick down shorter and various shapes, but nothing seems to work. It really seems like the thumb pick should work like a flat pick when you grip it with the index finger, and it does for picking, but not for strumming. What is going on?
Old 12-20-2014, 06:06 PM

I found the same problem with the thumb pick snagging on the strings while strumming and ive tried sanding it down too. I think its got to do with having more dexterity with a flat pick therefore more control. Ivd since grown my nail to for the best versatility. It
works for me
Old 12-20-2014, 06:13 PM

I think you have a lot less control on the "give" when using a thumb pick. With a flatpick you can adjust your grip and better control your angle of attack.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:22 PM

Try these.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Try as I might, over the years I've never been able to use a thumb pick. I've always assumed it was me and the picks I've tried.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
…My strums are clumsy and it feels as though the pick in snagging on the strings. I've tried grinding the pick down shorter and various shapes, but nothing seems to work.
Hi Rpt...

I've never played with flat picks (finger style for over 50 years) and I strum with the backs of nails 2-3 for the down stroke, and side of the thumb nail for upstrokes, and never with the thumb pick (even when wearing a thumb pick). Here's a video I made for friends and students.

Three types of strumming without picks - CLiCk

Some players use the kind of thumb picks which look and act as a flat pick hooked to the thumb. Others use very different designs. There are a lot of types of thumb picks available, and if you are mixing finger style with strumming, then you make decisions as to which type of strumming you will modify to go with it.

Thumb picks are not all created equal, no more so than flat picks. They come in different thicknesses, widths, lengths, and placement (some actually wear them up near the knuckle of the thumb).

I grind mine down so my thumb doesn't have to lift to strike the string. I use my normal stroke, and don't have to modify my thumb action or direction. I normally play without them, but when I need them, it is seamless because they are customized to me.

This is just how I use them. I'm only interested in giving notes a bit of clarity when I Travis pick so the 'Thunk' is distinct. It is the only time I wear one.

Hope this helps.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

In general a thumb pick does not allow you to change the angle of how you strum against the strings as you can do with a flat pick or plectrum. I am mostly a fingerstyle player, but when I really want to strum, I mostly use a flat pick.

Many years ago (mid 1960s) I adapted to a technique I learned from playing Bob Gibson's songs on a 12-string guitar where you use the thumb pick and the finger pick on your index finger to strum. You strum down with the thumb pick and strum back up with the finger pick on the index finger. This technique works really well on a 12-string because all the strings give you a more solid bed of strings to run your thumb and finger across. It's harder to sound as good with this technique on a 6-string because there are more holes across the strings. However, I remember using this technique on a 6-string to play Paul Simon's song "Sparrow" from S&G's "Wednesday Morning 3 AM" album. So it can be done with practice. In recent years I have also used this technique sparingly with my bare index finger and a thumb pick because I can no longer wear finger picks because of my crooked finger joints from osteoarthritis. My technique is not as good with a bare index finger as it used to be when I was 18 years old and using finger picks, however. (But then, there is a lot about being 18 years old that is better than being 66, but I digress...)

I hope this description might help you a little...

- Glenn
Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 PM

I've never been able to strum with a thumb pick. After about 30 years I just gave up on it.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:55 PM

For decades I've used nothing but a flat pick, but recently i have become determined to learn to use a thump pick to free up my fingers. What puzzles me is that I seem to making no progress in strumming, even when I grip the thump pick with my index finger like a flat pick. . . . What is going on?

I've been trying to use a flat pick more from not using one at all and it's been an interesting challenge.

Without a pick, my strumming impact to the strings falls entirely on the right corner of my index finger nail. That's where my brain, strumming hand and fingers have expected contact for many many years.

Put a pick in my hand, or thumb-pick for that matter, and that impact point is off 3 to 8 mms off in any direction so it's understandable that adjusting to the same degree of accuracy is gonna take quite a lot of work and practice.

Did not using a flatpick and your middle and ring finger work at all for you? That's how I played before dropping the pick altogether. . .
Old 12-20-2014, 07:11 PM

In my opinion strumming is not a matter of thumb pick or even a pick itself. It is about wrist. Yes, wrist and soul. I'm a strummer, for sure. I start playing with a pick but the focus was mainly in my wrist. I would go a little further; strumming is an art. To get the right pattern steady, solid, in time, it is not easy. Some players still believe that strumming is a second art when it comes to playing guitar. This is a wrong idea, definitely. Great strummers made the difference throughout history. I would name just a couple of them : John Lennon and Keith Richards. Enough to name anyone else. It is not usual to see nowadays solid strummers. Most of players, specifically acoustic guitar players, still appreciate much more fingerpick, flatpick whatever , than pure strummers. So, all I can say is ... feel the music, and play.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike777 View Post
Try these.

These definitely make strumming much easier.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-20-2014, 07:42 PM

Try exaggerating your wrist rotation more. I also find that I get a better groove when strumming with my hand open.

TW
Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 PM

Thumb pick strumming takes a lot of time to nuance into sounding good. Practice.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

I love to fingerpick - took me many hours to get decent with Travis picking, but trying to keep track of both a thumb pick and a flat pick on stage was just too much trouble for me. About 30 years ago, I started using my flatpick as a thumbpick!

Took a while and I'm still not 100% with it, but holding the flatpick between my thumb and forefinger and using that, along with my middle and ring finger (occasionally the pinkie) to fingerpick works very well...

Gives me the mobility and versatility to switch back and forth between strumming, single note lines and fingerpicking, within the same tune...

The "best" player I have ever heard strumming with a flatpick was mediocre, at best... kind of like trying to use the butt of a screwdriver for a hammer... somehow, you need to find the "right tool" for the job...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-21-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggicc View Post
I found the same problem with the thumb pick snagging on the strings while strumming and ive tried sanding it down too. I think its got to do with having more dexterity with a flat pick therefore more control. Ivd since grown my nail to for the best versatility. It
works for me
I agree grow your thumb nail and forget about both the flat pick and thumb pick. If you're like me, you'll find just using your thumbnail provides the most nuanced control.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion