The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic guitar camps?

I have been loving my last six weeks getting to know my first guitar. Frankly, I think about it too much all day. And today, I brought it to work. I am the boss, so having a "Bring Your Guitar to Work" day. Will crack it open at lunch. With my other passions, skiing and photography, I have had great immersive experiences, and could see how valuable that could be for a budding guitarist as well. Saw a very cool camp in Alaska (https://www.acousticalaska.com/details). And figure that there are all kinds of options everywhere. But I am particularly interested in one that focuses on players at a beginner level. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
David
Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 AM

I would suggest that you check places like your local library, community college, and community center. Places like those often sponsor guitar clubs or classes. You will get to learn in a group environment and meet lots of other enthusiasts.

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Guest 33123

Fur Peace Ranch in southern Ohio https://www.furpeaceranch.com/guitar-camp/ does an "Entrance Ramp" weekend for beginners every year but it is sold out for 2019. I've been 6 times for other classes aimed at my level and it's a wonderful place. I'm back in May.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny Tenthumbs View Post
I would suggest that you check places like your local library, community college, and community center. Places like those often sponsor guitar clubs or classes. You will get to learn in a group environment and meet lots of other enthusiasts.

Good luck.
Good suggestion. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Fur Peace Ranch in southern Ohio https://www.furpeaceranch.com/guitar-camp/ does an "Entrance Ramp" weekend for beginners every year but it is sold out for 2019. I've been 6 times for other classes aimed at my level and it's a wonderful place. I'm back in May.
Thanks and enjoy.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Swannanoa is a great camp and there are plenty of classes for beginners.

https://www.swangathering.com/catalog/gt/guitar-week

Worth checking out. I have been 3 times and really enjoyed it and learned a lot.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Swannanoa is a great camp and there are plenty of classes for beginners.

https://www.swangathering.com/catalog/gt/guitar-week

Worth checking out. I have been 3 times and really enjoyed it and learned a lot.

Best,
Jayne
Swannanoa is guitar heaven for beginners up to advanced players. Loads of great instructors. The vibe is amazing with opportunities to jam and play live.
Great also for singer songwriters wanting to get there songwriting chops juiced.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 04-09-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I have been loving my last six weeks getting to know my first guitar. Frankly, I think about it too much all day. And today, I brought it to work. I am the boss, so having a "Bring Your Guitar to Work" day. Will crack it open at lunch. With my other passions, skiing and photography, I have had great immersive experiences, and could see how valuable that could be for a budding guitarist as well. Saw a very cool camp in Alaska (https://www.acousticalaska.com/details). And figure that there are all kinds of options everywhere. But I am particularly interested in one that focuses on players at a beginner level. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
David
Hi D1

A lot of communities have a weekly or monthly Bluegrass Jam, and usually there are many levels of players who show up (beginners to advanced).

Some even hold jams for specific levels.

I like the mixed talent levels because you can play softly and learn on the fly. They are really good at teaching folks to anticipate chord changes, and other simple techniques.

Hope this helps…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-09-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Appreciate all the replies.
To those who have suggested finding a local guitar community, I have one. It is called The Church of the Morning After In Stonington on the coast of Maine. We play every Sunday from 7 to 10 am (lobsterman hours).
https://m.facebook.com/groups/154574...rofile_browser
I started playing clarinet with this group a couple years ago and have had a great time. When I started writing songs last year I figured I needed to learn guitar. And I am. So what I am looking for is a camp for grown ups (chronologically) where I could sink into a guitar universe for a week.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
David
If you let folks know where you are, someone might have a more specific recommendation near you.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 PM

https://ashokan.org/guitar-camp/

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
If you let folks know where you are, someone might have a more specific recommendation near you.
Fair enough. As I indicated above, coast of Maine. But I would expect to travel for such an experience. New place. New perspective.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
Good one. You been?
By the way, like your screen moniker. Mine could be Big Band Tenor/clarinet.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Good one. You been?
By the way, like your screen moniker. Mine could be Big Band Tenor/clarinet.
I have not been to the guitar camp but have been going to the Western and Swing week for the last 10 years.

Sax and clarinet would be welcome at Swing week. You would fit right in.

All levels of guitar.

The band classes are run by the best.

Food is great, people are great, bunkhouse is great, location is outstanding, the whole campus is now off grid.

Warning go once and you will be hooked.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Default National Summer Guitar Workshops

I attended the NSGW camps in Los Angeles and Austin a few times and they were incredibly invigorating. They were held in otherwise empty colleges in the worst heat of summer. I was sorry to see them fold. I guess it was a money attendance thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write