The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-16-2019, 07:28 PM

Default Wireless transmitter?

Was thinking about ditching the guitar cable and possibly going with a wireless transmitter. I play in a small room and for my enjoyment only. I have a Fender Blues Jr IV amp along with a Fender Strat and Tele, if this makes a difference. It would be convenient not to have to dance around the cable in my small space. Is there a product out there that would fit my needs? Anyone with experience in this area, recommendations? I did a search but didn’t find much. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

I've been using a wireless system for my electric guitar for years. I bought an inexpensive system from Nady many years ago, and it worked well, but then went haywire. So I looked for something new and came up with this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-system-black

I have been using this for a while, for example, on some of my YouTube videos, and it works pretty well. It needs line-of-sight connection between the transmitter and receiver, but if you have that, it works well and sounds very good.

Cables for me are a pain. I am always stepping on it or tripping on it as I go back and forth in the studio to make adjustments. The wireless system does away with all that. The only problem with the Xvive system is that the internal batteries are charged by a USB cable, so you have to think ahead to have the thing charged. I try to keep mine charged all the time in my studio because I never know when I might need it.

Also, I have used this wireless system in church a few times, where I hooked up a Fishman Aura system to the PA mixer, plugged in the Xvive receiver into the input and plugged the Xvive transmitter into my old 2002 Taylor guitar (it has an old Fishman Prefix system in it), and it made my use of the guitar very simple and it sounded quite good. This approach kept me from having to bring in mic stands and mics and a sub-mixer. I used a lectern mic already wired to the mixer for my voice and the wireless to Aura system to PA mixer for the guitar. It was simple and sounded good.

I'm no expert on any of this stuff, but this system sounds good. Actually, I started off trying to find a new transmitter for my old NADY system, but I could find nothing. So I looked at what was out there now.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-17-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:23 PM

I've considered this...and may still look into it. Back when they first came out there were too many documented problems with them for me to seriously consider it, but I've been led to understand that things have progressed mightily since then.

As an interesting aside, ACDC's Angus Young has attributed his very special, unique tone to the wireless unit he uses, the Schaffer-Vega Diversity System, and they even have a pedal now that purportedly mimics this processing. These are available still...if you can afford it. I guess the point here is that they WILL add coloration to your tone...maybe you will like it, maybe not...

I might finally have to investigate the Line 6 wireless system, which I've heard is the nazz. The only reason I haven't already done so is that, really, it's only gong to take the place of ONE cable...still gonna have to deal with all the others in my signal chain.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 09-17-2019, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

This works great.
https://carvinaudio.com/products/wg5...nd-bass-system
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-17-2019, 01:19 AM

One of the best systems available is the Shure GLXD16, but it is probably overkill for your needs and I'm guessing that you can get one of the compact, inexpensive pairings already suggested in a couple of the previous posts.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-17-2019, 04:07 AM

Myself, and 3 of my "musical buds" are using these

Seriously worth you trying for 60 bucks! They work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Getaria-Wirel...69187837&psc=1

I also use a Line 6 G30, that's a good unit too.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I looked for something new and came up with this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-system-black

Cables for me are a pain. I am always stepping on it or tripping on it as I go back and forth in the studio to make adjustments. The wireless system does away with all that. The only problem with the Xvive system is that the internal batteries are charged by a USB cable, so you have to think ahead to have the thing charged. I try to keep mine charged all the time in my studio because I never know when I might need it.

- Glenn
Thanks for your thoughts on the Xvive system, Glenn. I was actually thinking of getting that based on YouTube reviews, but still find them quite pricey for my needs. I'd also love to hear anyone's opinion who's tried the Getaria 2.4GHZ Wireless Guitar System:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L5B64RG..._9moGDbAG183HY
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 09-17-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue314 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on the Xvive system, Glenn. I was actually thinking of getting that based on YouTube reviews, but still find them quite pricey for my needs. I'd also love to hear anyone's opinion who's tried the Getaria 2.4GHZ Wireless Guitar System:
I have this system but it is badged as an "ammoon" wireless. Looks identical. Had mine for about 9 months. It works great but is not perfect. Once I had an issue with it pairing properly. On another occasion it only lasted about 45 minutes. Otherwise, it's been flawless.

My take? Perfect for practice. Good for gigs, but bring a cable as backup. I haveused it on 20-30 shorter gigs without issue. When they work, they work - when the batteries go - you're done with no warning.

Well worth the $40 IMO.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-17-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I've been using a wireless system for my electric guitar for years. I bought an inexpensive system from Nady many years ago, and it worked well, but then went haywire. So I looked for something new and came up with this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-system-black

I have been using this for a while, for example, on some of my YouTube videos, and it works pretty well. It needs line-of-sight connection between the transmitter and receiver, but if you have that, it works well and sounds very good.

Also, I have used this wireless system in church a few times, where I hooked up a Fishman Aura system to the PA mixer, plugged in the Vvive receiver into the input and plugged the Xvive transmitter into my old 2002 Taylor guitar (it has an old Fishman Prefix system in it), and it made my use of the guitar very simple and it sounded quite good. This approach kept me from having to bring in mic stands and mics and a sub-mixer. I used a lectern mic already wired to the mixer for my voice and the wireless to Aura system to PA mixer for the guitar. It was simple and sounded good.

I'm no expert on any of this stuff, but this system sounds good. Actually, I started off trying to find a new transmitter for my old NADY system, but I could find nothing. So I looked at what was out there now.

- Glenn

Glenn,
Thanks for your input. I value all opinions from forum users. With that said, having heard/seen many of your videos, if it meets your standards, it will surely meet mine. My skills are light years apart from yours! I think I will order these. At the moment I have a basic Ditto looper (which I haven’t tried yet) and an overdrive pedal. Stay tuned for more questions!
Old 09-18-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue314 View Post
For just $40, I am tempted to just order one of these - anyone with any experience with one on a Taylor with ES1.3 pickup system?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Xvive works great for me, recommend highly.. Best Luck!
Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I've used the ZXK 5.8ghz wireless setup from Amazon now for about 1/2 year. I've two of them they are $99 so cheaper than some of the 2.4ghz systems and have worked flawlessly at my house. Haven't tried them out of the house.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
For just $40, I am tempted to just order one of these - anyone with any experience with one on a Taylor with ES1.3 pickup system?
I have an Xvive system with an extra transmitter with a tele and a strat and a lot of these new cheap ones that are popping up appear to be basically the same thing and should work fine. The only caution is if you want to plug in an acoustic through the system, make sure it doesn't have active electronics - the Xvive system doesn't work with active electronics and I'd bet most of the knockoffs don't either. If I want to plug in my acoustic, I have to use an actual cable.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I have an Xvive system with an extra transmitter with a tele and a strat and a lot of these new cheap ones that are popping up appear to be basically the same thing and should work fine. The only caution is if you want to plug in an acoustic through the system, make sure it doesn't have active electronics - the Xvive system doesn't work with active electronics and I'd bet most of the knockoffs don't either. If I want to plug in my acoustic, I have to use an actual cable.
I have multiple active electronic setups I'm using with the ZKK. They don't list any incompatibilities either. What exactly does the Xvive do when attached to an active setup?
Old 09-21-2019, 02:16 PM

+1 for the Getaria. I have always had an issue standing on the guitar cable and once pulling a guitar off a stand by hooking the cable with my foot. I was delighted to see an old video of Carl Perkins stepping on his cable, so I didn't feel like the only idiot that does that.

These Getaria units seem to work fine, last through a two hour set no problem and I have never had an issue with them, though they are made of plastic and I don't think I would want my life to depend on them (I always have a cable and a backup cable). But it sure makes playing a lot more pleasant. I like that you can walk out into the house and hear how the guitar is sounding.

And I think these affordable units are a good way to find out the pros and cons of going wireless, including keeping them charged. I switch off between electric and acoustic guitars and and its an easy change to make.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars