The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I can't say that the big change I hear on my X7 was due to the bone saddle Sean, I hope I didn't imply that, I changed several things all at the same time, so that would be a guess. I've played with different saddles on other guitars in the past and I never heard any big enough difference that made me want to put bone saddles in all my guitars. The J45 I had hated the bone, but the differences were pretty small on other guitars, I doubt you could identify which was which in a blind test. The older X7 fits the body better when sitting, it takes a little bit to get used to the V2. But tone wise.....to me, there is a pretty big difference. Different isn't always good, but in this case I thought it was. The V2 sounds like a bigger guitar. Both are excellent, but different. I can easily understand why Ray kept his X7 V2 and sold the X20, they are close enough to consider that, no way I would have done that with my X7 V1.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I can't say that the big change I hear on my X7 was due to the bone saddle Sean, I hope I didn't imply that, I changed several things all at the same time, so that would be a guess. I've played with different saddles on other guitars in the past and I never heard any big enough difference that made me want to put bone saddles in all my guitars. The J45 I had hated the bone, but the differences were pretty small on other guitars, I doubt you could identify which was which in a blind test. The older X7 fits the body better when sitting, it takes a little bit to get used to the V2. But tone wise.....to me, there is a pretty big difference. Different isn't always good, but in this case I thought it was. The V2 sounds like a bigger guitar. Both are excellent, but different. I can easily understand why Ray kept his X7 V2 and sold the X20, they are close enough to consider that, no way I would have done that with my X7 V1.
Oh, my bad. I thought the set up and saddle combined with the removal of the UST were all that you changed. Other than string choice what else could you change that would make what was in your words a "disappointment" to a keeper?
Old 05-26-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

No no..you are correct, those were the changes that took place all at the same time. So who knows??? LOL I guess that each change contributed a small change and they all added up. I really can't explain it.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
No no..you are correct, those were the changes that took place all at the same time. So who knows??? LOL I guess that each change contributed a small change and they all added up. I really can't explain it.
Thanks for clarifying John. At least in the case of this guitar the actions you took were very beneficial. I'm going to try TI Plectrums on the OF660 as well but only after I get around to putting the Zero Glide on. That .059 is a monster string!
Old 05-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Thanks for clarifying John. At least in the case of this guitar the actions you took were very beneficial. I'm going to try TI Plectrums on the OF660 as well but only after I get around to putting the Zero Glide on. That .059 is a monster string!
I tried the TI Plectrums on my X7 and the 11s were a little too floppy and quiet. And the 59 IS a monster - in fact mine popped on me trying to get it up to tension so I never really got to play them. But just seeing how big that thing was and visualizing all manner of problems with capos, I tried a set of Newtone Heritage which are very similar feeling and sounding to the Plectrums, but notably less $$$ and the 12 set has a low E of 51. Feels well balanced and loud enough, but not as loud as the Retros or GHS Vintage Bronze. So TI Plectrums are off my list and when I want to play that type of string Newtone Heritage are on it.

My earlier advice sort of stands, but reading "I have an X20 and an X7, I don't remember the last time I played the X20. I play the X7 almost daily." really resonated with me because that's what led me to my decision. So if you had that experience but still had an OF660 for a travel guitar, that OF660 isn't gonna change how you feel about the X7 vs the X20. So there definitely COULD BE a case for going with an X7 along with the OF660. For me, I THINK I'd go with something larger if I was keeping an OF660, but if I were to add a travel guitar now, I still wouldn't trade in my X7 for anything else. So take my earlier advice with a grain of salt, if at all!

-Ray
Old 05-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I tried the TI Plectrums on my X7 and the 11s were a little too floppy and quiet. And the 59 IS a monster - in fact mine popped on me trying to get it up to tension so I never really got to play them. But just seeing how big that thing was and visualizing all manner of problems with capos, I tried a set of Newtone Heritage which are very similar feeling and sounding to the Plectrums, but notably less $$$ and the 12 set has a low E of 51. Feels well balanced and loud enough, but not as loud as the Retros or GHS Vintage Bronze. So TI Plectrums are off my list and when I want to play that type of string Newtone Heritage are on it.

My earlier advice sort of stands, but reading "I have an X20 and an X7, I don't remember the last time I played the X20. I play the X7 almost daily." really resonated with me because that's what led me to my decision. So if you had that experience but still had an OF660 for a travel guitar, that OF660 isn't gonna change how you feel about the X7 vs the X20. So there definitely COULD BE a case for going with an X7 along with the OF660. For me, I THINK I'd go with something larger if I was keeping an OF660, but if I were to add a travel guitar now, I still wouldn't trade in my X7 for anything else. So take my earlier advice with a grain of salt, if at all!

-Ray

More advice and more salt Ray- good dialogue here!
Old 05-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I tried the TI Plectrums on my X7 and the 11s were a little too floppy and quiet. And the 59 IS a monster - in fact mine popped on me trying to get it up to tension so I never really got to play them. But just seeing how big that thing was and visualizing all manner of problems with capos,
-Ray
That really surprises me, I've used the TI's on a lot of different guitars and never an issue. I was usually going from a .056 to the .059, 3 thousandths was not a big deal. Sorry they didn't work for you.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Thanks so much Jim, I was hoping you would chime in here. I'm glad that your getting along after your surgery and have a guitar that fits the bill. It sounds like you and that X7 are attached at the hip !

I didn't mind the Shorty's neck except for when playing capo'd above the 4th fret (which I actually do on a couple songs I play). At that point I was only tolerating it and realizing that I probably needed to part with it.

One of the things I hear on the videos of the X7 1.0 is that it indeed does have great tone and I think I personally prefer it over the 2.0. Having the opportunity to A/B them in my lap could change my mind. I hear that videos are not the best way to gauge an instrument but I will say that when I bought the hard to find and test drive the Shorty, the videos (especially Jarvis' video at the Guitar Spa), is what drove me to find one. When I did finally have that guitar in my lap it was close to the tone of what I had in my head. Only now it was better because you can "feel" the instrument too. Coming from an electric background the feel of the first CF I ever put my hands on was instantaneously welcome. The neck and smooth solid edges felt so good! The same is true of the OF660- it is very close to what I hear in videos (except for how quiet the guitar actually is).

Another thing I loved about the Shorty was that it was only 4 lbs., and most of that was in the neck). I miss that! The OF660 is almost 6 lbs due to the neck joint. It has gorgeous warm tone but it really does lack volume. I'm looking at the Emeralds now because of their proprietary soundhole designs paired with the ergonomics. I'm guessing you can hear your X20 better than your X7 and not just because of the size of it.
I can't speak to the tone/sound of the previous gen X7 vs the current. Seems that the current gen should be more of everything that makes the X7 so good. Probably best for my wallet that I not play a new one.

As far as the X20 vs my X7, yes, the X20 is a sound/tone monster from the playing perspective. It took me a few sessions with the X20 to get the feel of the sound control (acoustically) with it. That upturned soundhole really puts the sound out. When recording, I use the X20 with the condenser mic on the Spire Studio most often. Surprisingly (to me anyway), the X7 sounds almost as good with that condenser mic.

The two really do compliment each other. For the occasional times I use a capo, it is more comfortable on the 25.5" scale X20. I have no problem going back and forth with the scale on those two guitars.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I really love my OF660, however with a caveat.

I love it for what it is and what it affords me which is basically a travel guitar that plays nicely and sounds decent.

I have an Emerald x 20 - 12 and a Blackbird El Capitan (and an X30 soon on the way), none of which is suitable for traveling; for me and my assumption of risk. The OF660 is (IMHO) built like a tank and fills a very specific niche.

It breaks down into its awesomely designed case, that was designed very specifically to meet the carry-on requirements for airlines. There would never be any special requirements that you would run into from the airlines with this particular instrument.

I think some assumptions here are also in order in regards to what one considers traveling. If one considers traveling very specifically to include airline travel, the 0F660 is almost in a league of it's own, again, depending on the owners level of risk they are willing to accept. Although I do not own an X7, I would have some serious anxiety trying to bring it on a plane with me because if for some reason they wouldn't allow it it would have to go into the cargo hold...which would freak me out. :-)

YMMV....

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 05-27-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Guest 928

Well said Todd.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:45 PM

Beautiful picture of the guitar with "Lake Michigan" in the background. I need to move to that part of Chicago.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Beautiful picture of the guitar with "Lake Michigan" in the background. I need to move to that part of Chicago.
Ha! Lol.....pic is from Puerto Vallarta Mexico...see...my OF660 gets around!!

And has also visited a few racetracks as well...Road America, Mid-Ohio, Mt. Tremblant (Canada), Sebring, Circuit of the Americas, Watkins Glen, and Autobahn Country Club.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 05-28-2019, 05:52 AM

I guess I better stop pestering my cousin Vinnie about getting me a good deal on some real estate on the lake then. Bummer!

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:34 AM
Guest 928

Mot;

Can cousin Vinnie can get us a deal on property in Puerto Vallarta?
Old 05-28-2019, 12:48 PM

Probably, but I doubt you'll like his terms.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber