The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2020, 01:43 PM

After facing this dilemma for years, I bought a Journey Overhead OF420 (wood) and haven't had a problem since - fits in the overhead on any flight I've taken. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Carbon Fiber model for even more utility.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
There was a recent thread here talking about flying with gig bags instead of a hard case. IIRC the deal was that certain airlines have adopted a policy that if it's not in a hard case then it has to get gate checked even if it would otherwise fit in an overhead. Counterintuitive and probably violates the intent if not the letter of the law I posted above but may be best to check with your airline before trying such a risky stunt as gig bagging it.
I have done this on airlines that only allow hard cases. That's the theory, but the reality is different. In my experience, flight attendants love a wandering troubadour with a BBT in a gig bag.

By all means, however, let's consider this approach a "risky stunt." The fewer thrill-seekers who attempt it, the more likely it is to succeed.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymad View Post
...the airline companies don't let you take a guitar in an hard-shell case as a carry on, so they offer to pin tag it on the gate.
They do if there is room.

My suggestions:

1. Get a travel case with TSA locks. I have a Gator travel case that I'm happy with.
2. Get early boarding. If you fly a particular airline regularly, get their premium credit card, which will get you early boarding. The last time I flew Delta I paid an extra $15 for each flight segment and got on after first class, military, and Delta frequent flyers and I was able to put my guitar in an overhead bin. Sometimes the airline may offer first-class upgrades at a reduced cost when you check in online. This can be a cost-effective way to guarantee you can board with your computer, especially if you were planning to check a bag. On one flight I got a first class upgrade for $53. Since I needed to check my suitcase anyway ($30), it effectively cost me $23 to board early, stow my guitar onboard, and get a first class seat.

BTW, from the reports I've read, Southwest seems to have a reputation for being most cooperative, with Delta coming in second.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-03-2020, 02:27 PM

Rules aside, the actual practice is whatever the cabin crew says goes, period. Gate agents tend to be overly aggressive making people check things that are actually OK in the cabin. But if a flight attendant says "you must check it" that is the final answer, regardless of whatever rule printout or AFM letter you might be carrying with you. The cabin of a actively boarding jet is not the place to litigate the FAA rules or airline policies. Ask them nicely and they will almost always get you the preferred gate check tag that avoids the conveyor system, though. I've always had good cooperation from the cabin crews, but gate agents -- not so much.

Of course one of my personal goals is to *never* fly commercially again for any reason, either with or without a guitar. More than 950K lifetime air miles is enough.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Of course one of my personal goals is to *never* fly commercially again for any reason, either with or without a guitar. More than 950K lifetime air miles is enough.
There was a time that I actually enjoyed it, but no more. The security process, even with TSA Pre-check, is painful. The seats are closer together then in the past, and trying to find flights at a decent price is a crapshoot. The frequent flyer programs are nearly meaningless now that credit card get you miles, because it's harder to find flights that you can book with miles.

I will probably fly again, when this COVID mess is over, but I'm sure my days of enjoying it are over.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-03-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
.....I'm sure my days of enjoying it are over.
When I first started flying on business trips and vacations in the mid 80's it was an adventure and pleasant. But each passing year made things more difficult. I'm 6'-6" and 300 pounds (just like I was back in college) and wear a size 52 / XXL jacket -- think an aging NFL lineman. Even first class seats are being downsized from the good old days.

The very last flight I took that airline (on which I had been an MVP Gold frequent flier for literally decades) suddenly decided between the booking/seat selection and the day of travel to reconfigure the front cabin. Instead of a bulkhead, a closet, and three rows of roomy first class seats, that 737-800 front cabin became a curtain and four rows of smaller seats - for a $1700 fare. There was actually less room (seat pitch) than back in coach. I obviously had to get back home, but I have not flown since. Prior to that incident I had a personal and business travel budget of ~$14K per year. Hopefully they enjoyed the extra revenue from 16 versus 12 first class seats. No airline has gotten a single penny of revenue from me since, and never will. I turn down at least $35K of billable engineering work every year because it would require me to fly. Life is just too short.....
Old 09-03-2020, 07:55 PM

though i always put my guitar in a check worthy case i haven't had to check a guitar in years. the musicians union worked it out years ago that if the instrument fits in the overhead we are allowed to carry it on. i have flown with my Santa Cruz OM Grand and last november even my Goodall Jumbo in its Hiscox Pro II case fit in the overhead. a hardcased guitar will fit in the overhead of most Boeing 700 series planes and many MD 80s. I always check what kind of plane (or equipment in the airline lingo) the flight is on. now, if it's a puddle jumper yeah, you're going to have to gate check it.

If you can fly on Southwest. They NEVER hassle you. no matter who you fly on get a rear seat so you can board early while there is still room in the overhead. do NOT be greedy and try to bring another carry on bag with you; a small backpack is okay but nothing large. Above all, be polite and respectful with the flight attendants.

This is info from the AFM:
The FAA Modernization and Reform Act (H.R. 658) established a uniform national policy regarding musical instruments on airplanes. Any musical instrument that can be stored safely in the overhead bin or under the seat may be brought on board as a carry-on item. Maximum size and weight requirements for checked instruments are now 150 linear inches and 165 pounds, including the case. Musicians may also purchase an additional seat to stow their instrument in the passenger cabin, as long as the instrument fits in the seat and has a maximum weight of 165 lbs.

The law goes into effect upon issuance of FAA regulations to carry out the law, which must occur no later than February 2014. AFM is working with Congress, the FAA, and the airlines to make that happen as soon as possible, and to encourage airlines that have not already done so to voluntarily adopt H.R. 658 as their policy in the meantime.

I also have a PDF of the actual law that was signed during the Obama administration.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40

Last edited by Graylocks; 09-03-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:28 PM

As Graylocks said, if possible fly Southwest. I'm lucky that the only places I fly to are Southwest destinations.

Every time they didn't even blink when I board carrying my guitar in its Trek hard/soft case.

Great airline!

Best,
PJ
Old 09-03-2020, 09:39 PM
Eric Skye

I have no idea what it would be like to fly during COVID times, but prior I've taken my Santa Cruz 00 on hundreds of flights and it was always in the overhead. The trick for me has been to only to use Southwest. I'm sure you can do a search on this forum for more details about Southwest (probably written in detail by me) but basically there's several reasons why they are far and away the best for flying with a guitar, and why every-other pro player I know feels the same way.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
One of my regrets after retiring, was towards the end of my career I flew to Asia on the most comfortable and convenient flight, and retired on just 900K miles on United (which were largely earned the hard way domestically earlier in my career). When they merged with Continental the combination still put me just short of 1M.

By insisting we fly our annual pilgrimage to our son in CA on United, I crossed 1M a few years ago.

Early boarding is free for me! Here are some relative case sizes which tell me there is no reason not to bring a dreadnought in a hard case. You will green tag and gate check on a smaller plane. Full sized aircraft won't care about these small differences as only length matters for displacing wheelie space.

I've had plenty of people attempt to stuff wheelies on top of travel guitars in gig bags because they (could pretend they) did not see them. You will be glad you brought a hard case if you end up gate checked on a full sized plane.

TKL Case Dimensions Inches, Ext Length, Ext Width, Ext Height
  1. 8875-Parlor 41x15.25x5.5"
  2. 8876-0 41x16.5x6"
  3. 7800-00 43x16.75x6.125"
  4. 8805-OM 43x17.5x6.5"
  5. 8810-Dreadnought 43x19x7"
  6. 8815-Dreadnought 12 string 45.5x19x7"
  7. 87xx-Concept 44.75x18.625x8.25"
  8. GSmini-HardBag 39x16x6"
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-04-2020, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

I would not travel with a soft case. As mentioned, board early so there is room in the overheads. This can be an added purchase but Well worth it. Also check out Backaxe. https://www.backaxe.com/

There are other similar products but the point is to hang the guitar low on your back so it is not a visual eye saw when boarding. Works for me all the time
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-04-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymad View Post

Did you guys fly in the past with Humidifier inside the case ?
Relatively new Humidipacks were confiscated by TSA. Lesson learned. Otherwise, Southwest has been super accommodating in the 4 or 5 times I flew with a guitar.

(Now have a SnapDragon so it goes in checked luggage)
Old 09-04-2020, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

A good question. I fly extensively and have found in business class, I can always bring my guitar onboard and store it either in the overhead (make sure to board early!) or in the coat closet. Flying coach is a different story and although the case will often fit in an overhead, depending on the flight, they will often require you to check it at the gate. The airline “rule” that you can board with a musical instrument is not uniformly enforced and you really have no recourse to argue as the flight is boarding. Maybe with fewer flyers right now, you can carry the case onboard but that can be hit or miss.

Temperature in the baggage area is no longer a problem as it was in the old days. Modern baggage compartments are designed to handle pets, medicines, liquids, etc. so your guitar should be safe from extreme temperatures.

As for the baggage handlers, most seem to be careful but you will sometimes run into a bag dropping off the conveyer belt or a careless worker giving your bag a short toss. Traveling with your guitar inside a hard case provides the best protection as you know.

Enjoy your trip.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 09-04-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
. Also check out Backaxe. https://www.backaxe.com/

There are other similar products but the point is to hang the guitar low on your back so it is not a visual eye saw when boarding. Works for me all the time
OMG, someone else knows about Backaxe! I've had one for at least 15 years and though I prefer not to wear it onto the jetway (i think it makes my guitar more obvious than hanging low at the end of my arm) BackAxe is a godsend for navigating airports with my hands free and the guitar not pulling my shoulder out of whack.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 09-04-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike_ View Post
Relatively new Humidipacks were confiscated by TSA. Lesson learned. Otherwise, Southwest has been super accommodating in the 4 or 5 times I flew with a guitar.

(Now have a SnapDragon so it goes in checked luggage)
This is good info to know. Never thought about taking the Himidipaks out. Expensive lesson.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion