The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-20-2020, 11:13 AM

Default Nut File Lubricant??

I bought a set of Uo-Chikyu nut files some time ago, and I recently read in their literature that they recommend using oil as a lubricant with the files. I have not done that in the past, but I would welcome something that lessoned the binding of the files in the slots. Are any of you using a lubricant, and if so, what are you using? Thanks, Bill
Old 07-20-2020, 11:24 AM

I work on a plush carpet. I frequently wipe the file's teeth clean on the carpet. If necessary, I use a bit of wax on the file. I also used gauged saws to minimize filing.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:24 PM

Bees wax...
Old 07-22-2020, 05:21 AM

I've never tried lubing a file, but I have an "oil rag" that I use to oil finish all of my projects that take an oil finish. Over the years, this rag has accumulated mineral oil, coconut oil, beeswax, cutting fluid, rapidtap, and more. It works great to lubricate saw blades, plane soles, and anything else that sticks.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

I have the StuMac files and they stick!!!!!!

So I keep an old candle stub on my bench and just swipe it down the smooth sides of the file - no more sticking!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:01 PM

Thanks for those suggesting a little candle wax--it works wonders to keep the files from binding. Bill
Old 07-29-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I have the StuMac files and they stick!!!!!!

So I keep an old candle stub on my bench and just swipe it down the smooth sides of the file - no more sticking!
Nice tip. I'll have to try this.

The other thing I've found is simply making sure that the nut is filed down enough. On the wound strings you should have 1/3 or so of the string sticking out above the nut slot. The nut will work fine even if the string isn't coming out over the top of the nut, but deeper nut slots do tend to make the file grab a lot more.

If a string is really buried in there, the file will grab much more frequently. Filing down the nut so there isn't as much of a "wall" around the slot really helps the file do its job much better. It also results in a much more professional looking nut. I will have to try that wax trick, however.

I've had better luck with the double-edged nut files, the ones with the rubber handles. However, I already had a collection of the Stewmac files, so that's what I'm working with. Then they come out with these diamond slotting files. What will they think of next?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair