The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
What I read is the sales of musical instruments are way up so why give a discount?
My understanding is that the September - December period is the heaviest shopping period of the year during non-pandemic times. If that's true, why would MF offer discount sales for Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Black Friday weekend and a good bit of December???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-25-2020, 01:43 PM

GC seems to have everything that can be on sale on sale all the time. My email is constantly flooded with GC sales promos. They’ve sent me numerous emails on Memorial Day sales. Never clicked on one to see specifics, though.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:04 PM

I was looking for a 000-18 and saw that they had one at the central GC in Austin. I tried for two days to get anyone at the local store to answer the phone. Finally Friday I gave up and called the national number, they wouldn't move at all if I wanted to do the 48 month financing. So I decided Saturday to drive down to the store. Pretty good line, took about 25m to get in the store. Once inside it was one employee to each customer mask required so I understand now why they didn't answer the phone. Got the 000-18 and they were willing to discount it over 10%. But when we started to negotiate and I was looking at the guitar, the strap pin was broken off in the bottom and there was about a 3 inch horizontal split across the pin hole.
And they only had the one... So maybe because of that they sold me a D28 at just over 19% off with the 48 month financing. Sounded to me at least in the store they where willing to offer discounts. I wasn't looking for a dreadnought but, well it all went a little hazy when they offered it for the same price as the 000-18. I'm pretty happy with the guitar, it was also still sealed in shipping box so I was also happy it hadn't been beaten up like the 000-18 as some GC demo guitars are.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:40 PM

I'm still waiting to see if GC cancels my order on a Clearance Sale guitar.. I place the order on 5/5 Martin DSR2 for $525 they said it will take loner than normal... I've had them cancel back orders before...
Old 05-25-2020, 05:27 PM

This is quite unusual for Guitar Center not to have a 15-20% discount for Memorial Day weekend. This sale is usually across the board on everything they have ($99 and over), and MD has always been a great time to pick something up. I know they been in some financial issues as of late, so besides the corona thing, maybe that’s what’s really playing into that.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:59 PM

The SDOTH today have pretty much sucked.

Seems hit or miss. Sometimes incredible deals on desirable gear - other times, just cleaning off shelves. It feels like a shelf-cleaning day to me....

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-25-2020, 07:06 PM

A more likely reason is that GC has missed it's last two payments to the buyout bond holder. The two payments are in high eight digits if my memory serves me correctly. They are trying to reorganize without filing number 11, which GC says is not an option they wish to consider.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
A more likely reason is that GC has missed it's last two payments to the buyout bond holder. The two payments are in high eight digits if my memory serves me correctly. They are trying to reorganize without filing number 11, which GC says is not an option they wish to consider.
Ok but what's the connection to not having a sale at a time that they normally do? I would think that if they're short on funds they'd do whatever they could to generate some...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-25-2020, 07:49 PM

They are using a different promotion this year. They are offering 2X and 3X the points this year on a few select items. I suppose with less staff and inventory available they don't want to sell what they can't deliver.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:19 AM

Guitars or hot sellers right now. No discount was needed perhaps? Contacts at several larger dealers have passed on that they are selling more guitars now than ever. The tune was more sales than during the 2019 black Friday period.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:48 PM

I would be very hesitant to buy anything from MF now if I thought that there was the slightest chance that I might have to return it or need a warranty honored. They are not answering the phones or responding to their "chat line". I have been trying to contact them regarding a warranty issue for two weeks now without success. Any returns will need an RMA number.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Well it's almost Labor Day which would have meant MF/GC sales in the past. I thought I'd reinvigorate this thread and get some updated thoughts as to how encouraged they are to buy stuff from MF/GC based on "special financing" as opposed to the 15% discounts that many of us grew accustomed to...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-28-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I suspect they just don't have the inventory to benefit much from a 15% off sale. But "special financing" always seems to hold some profit for the lender and I'm sure GC gets a cut of that.

-Ray
Old 08-28-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Well it's almost Labor Day which would have meant MF/GC sales in the past. I thought I'd reinvigorate this thread and get some updated thoughts as to how encouraged they are to buy stuff from MF/GC based on "special financing" as opposed to the 15% discounts that many of us grew accustomed to...
I have absolutely zero interest in such an incentive. Maybe it's just me but I will not buy a guitar unless I can pay for it out of my available funds and not feel I'm putting myself at risk of going without something important ... food, medications, etc. The only exception would be if I was a gigging or professional musician and I needed the gear to make a living or improve my career.

I'm somewhat surprised there has as yet been no return to those 15 percent off deals. The acid test, of course, will be the Black Friday period.

I should point out somebody here posted he or she got a special 15 percent off code through email. I asked and got a copy of that email but I haven't used it so I don't know if it works or if it worked. But at least that is encouraging news to me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-28-2020, 12:04 PM

I also think that their inventory must be down.
The daily picks have been on things that I don't see many people wanting or needing.
They are trying to get rid of old stock, or items that are hard to sell right now.

I hope things get better for them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion