The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Default My Skytop

Hi All,
I've had my Skytop guitar for almost a month and here to report.
Mine is Bearclaw Sitka top and BRW back and sides, very beautiful, the larger "Grand Auditorium" model with cutaway. I will post pics if anyone is still reading here!
I've sought for years the loudest possible acoustic guitar, from me, the player's, point of view. In this Skytop, I have found it. (This is extra important to me due to a hearing issue and a commitment to playing purely acoustic whenever possible. )
How loud is it? It's so loud that sometimes I could not quite tell if a monitor amp was on or off. It's so loud that ... Ok I'll stop.

An advantage of such volume is I can play softly and still have plenty of volume.

But the ability to easily how oneself while playing is a huge thing, whether solo or in group settings. Even in a semi acoustic setting this guitar will be easier to hear; all the sound you need is already at your ear.

It reminds me of what I learned doing PA work a bit, just small & medium venues. As a musician I knew the value of strong clear monitors, and how it improves performance. So I'd set my stage with great monitors first and foremost, and the musician's loved it.

Even tho it's loud to the player, it's sound is smooth, woody, warm and clear, with a quality tone throughout. It's a top notch acoustic in every way, very comfortable and responsive, and oozes charisma. Seems to me from the other side it's about normal for a quality acoustic, tho I have not had the pleasure of really sitting across from it yet!

One thing I have not heard discussed about the no-soundhole design... it naturally resists feedback when plugged in. After all it has the world's best 'feedback buster' built in. It also sounds the best of any of my guitars plugged straight in.

Thanks for listening!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion