The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default S. Kinnaird - Sinker Redwood/Madrose 00 for Daveac (Video added!)

It’s with great pleasure that we get to share with you a new build for Daveac. Dave has been a friend of ours for several years after he picked up a Adi/Honduran OM of ours secondhand. This started a connection that included several visits to our shop in Nacogdoches and a fun build of a Port Orford Cedar/ Ziricote SJ. He has decided to add a smaller body guitar to the lineup. During a summertime visit to select wood, he spied a set of Madagascar Rosewood that had been claimed by another good customer of ours. Unfortunately, after some health problems that customer had to back out of the build, but fortunately for Dave, he knew it would be the perfect back and sides for this 00. All it took was for the right Sinker Redwood to be paired with it, and we’re off to the races.

I’m sure Dave will stop by to share some of his insight into the build, but we couldn’t be more excited to get to play a part in what will definitely be a killer combination of looks and tone. Dave has done a great job of designing it. Now watch along as it comes together.

A shot of the top and back together.

Gluing the top together:

Deflection testing the top:

Thanks for watching!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

Last edited by nacluth; 03-05-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Ooooo yeah, I saw that one a couple of weeks ago and it's killer! Dangerously beautiful, that is - Dave is a lucky guy.

It looked like there were several projects well along - you are falling behind on your build threads!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful pairing of wood... This is going to be another fun one to watch.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 AM

A little background to get the thread rolling. I wanted a smaller relax on the couch guitar and after following the thread of Tom's proto 00 and Bob's actual 00 I decided that a 00 was what I wanted. So I jumped in the car and headed to Nacogdoches for a couple days to sort through the amazing stash of wood with Steve. Steve and I had corresponded about what I was looking for and he had already pulled some sets for my consideration. I had told him I definitely wanted either Maple, Mahogany or Walnut for the back and sides paired with a straight grained creamy white Engelmann top. Steve had some wonderful sets of each pulled and as we sorted through them he stopped and showed me this Madi set that another customer wasn't able to keep. I immediately decided to change direction 180 degrees and chose that set. I was still planning on pairing with Engelmann when about 2 weeks later Steve said he had picked up some amazing redwood tops, including a few sinker tops of very high quality. I've always wanted to try a sinker top so I chose the one pictured and we were off and running. As always seems to be the case with these builds, what you initially think and where you end up can be completely different places, ha! I couldn't be happier with the woods we've chosen and I'm excited to see this build come together. I hope everyone enjoys following along. Steve and Ryan have had some amazing threads lately and I'm looking forward to this one.
Martin J-41
Old 12-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Wow ... does that ever look like Macassar ebony ... gorgeous set whatever it is!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Wow ... does that ever look like Macassar ebony ... gorgeous set whatever it is!
Hi David, thanks for swinging by. That really is Madagascan rosewood.
LMI was offering this at their 2011 Healdsburg Festival open-house. It was seized after a tremendous fracas in their warehouse: a capture-the-flag style free for all, luthiers all fighting for the precious goods. This and two other sets (Dennis Lair chose one for his OM) were snuck out of the pile up and we have jealously guarded it since.

But yes--it looks like a duck, it sounds like a duck, so it IS from Madagascar.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Hi David, thanks for swinging by. That really is Madagascan rosewood.
LMI was offering this at their 2011 Healdsburg Festival open-house. It was seized after a tremendous fracas in their warehouse: a capture-the-flag style free for all, luthiers all fighting for the precious goods. This and two other sets (Dennis Lair chose one for his OM) were snuck out of the pile up and we have jealously guarded it since.

But yes--it looks like a duck, it sounds like a duck, so it IS from Madagascar.

Steve

Great story Steve ... really glad that set of Madagascar went to a good home (you!).
Old 12-03-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Ooooo yeah, I saw that one a couple of weeks ago and it's killer! Dangerously beautiful, that is - Dave is a lucky guy.

It looked like there were several projects well along - you are falling behind on your build threads!
Thanks Stan, I'm kinda jealous that you've already seen it, ha, just kidding. But as odds would have it when I went down to the shop wood prospecting I saw your beautiful FS while it was under construction. The redwood top was so dark and rich that it helped influence me to go in that direction!
Martin J-41
Old 12-03-2018, 03:24 PM

Congrats Dave! That is really beautiful. I love the part of your story where you were sure of what woods you wanted for the top and back and then ended up with neither ahaha!!!! This is going to be a beauty. I was just playing my OO the other day with my daughter singing and they were both sounding darned good!
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats Dave! That is really beautiful. I love the part of your story where you were sure of what woods you wanted for the top and back and then ended up with neither ahaha!!!! This is going to be a beauty. I was just playing my OO the other day with my daughter singing and they were both sounding darned good!
Thanks Tom, not sure about an eta on completion but if its done in time and my schedule allows I will be bringing it to BIG. if my schedule doesn't allow maybe we can convince Steve and Ryan to bring it with them so everyone can play and enjoy it, I'm sure it would be well cared for.
Martin J-41
Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

It better be done by BIG because the two guitars we’re building for it are after yours.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Redwood, sunken, has been my favorite. And that back...I thought it was Ziricote before reading the commentary. It’s gorgeous, and should make a magnificent guitar.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:50 AM

Looks like a winner already. I’ll be watching 😁

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 12-04-2018, 07:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks guys! This is a sweet little guitar to build. Here’s some shots of the start of the rim assembly.

Bending the rosewood sides over a pipe. You can see some of the richness of the color.

Letting the sides set up on the bending form. It’s a 00 now.

Putting in the heel blocks and fixing the shape.

Thanks for watching!

Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveac View Post
Thanks Stan, I'm kinda jealous that you've already seen it, ha, just kidding. But as odds would have it when I went down to the shop wood prospecting I saw your beautiful FS while it was under construction. The redwood top was so dark and rich that it helped influence me to go in that direction!
I guess it's sort of a passing-the-baton thing: I was inspired by Stevie63's redwood when I saw it in the raw. I'm positive yours will generate more redwood orders for Steve and Ryan. It's a good thing they like redwood! By the way, I'm pretty sure they had the box closed a couple of weeks ago when I saw it, along with a couple of others. Ryan must have a logjam of photos to post!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop