The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:00 AM

I didn't read the entire thread but I'm going to make a couple of assumptions. First, this fall has been very mild, so too much central heating drying out the guitar likely isn't as big an issue as it would be in the middle of a cold winter.

Second, (although not an assumption), you haven't explained, (I don't think), what it is you don't like about the way the guitar sounds.

Many people often state a guitar sounds its best, "right before it explodes". In other words, right before it cracks from being too dry. In other words they're bright and tight". (Think of it as a guitar's "death rattle").

Your Taylor has laminate sides & back. It's not as likely to be damaged by a short dry spell, as would an all solid "cousin".

If the guitar is lacking responsiveness and a bit muffled, it likely is to wet already.

As for the climate in NYC, well, that's right on the Hudson river.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky View Post
I didn't read the entire thread but I'm going to make a couple of assumptions. First, this fall has been very mild, so too much central heating drying out the guitar likely isn't as big an issue as it would be in the middle of a cold winter.

Second, (although not an assumption), you haven't explained, (I don't think), what it is you don't like about the way the guitar sounds.

Many people often state a guitar sounds its best, "right before it explodes". In other words, right before it cracks from being too dry. In other words they're bright and tight". (Think of it as a guitar's "death rattle").

Your Taylor has laminate sides & back. It's not as likely to be damaged by a short dry spell, as would an all solid "cousin".

If the guitar is lacking responsiveness and a bit muffled, it likely is to wet already.

As for the climate in NYC, well, that's right on the Hudson river.
I mean its sound hasn't been ideal for at least a year now. It's still played find and sounded fine, but didn't sound anywhere near as nice and with its full tone for at least a year, probably more. I keep it in my apartment right next to a closed window year-round, and rarely put it away. So it tends to endure major fluctuations in temperature.

I just took it out of my case now after having it in there with a humidifier for a few hours, and it seemed to have its tone back. But to my dismay, about 5-7 minutes into playing it, it drifted right back to the lesser tone it had before I put it in the with humidifier. Any idea why? Does it need to spend a ton of time with the humidifier over the next few weeks (let's say overnight and a few hours during the day) to get back its original tone without reverting back after playing for a few minutes? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 11-25-2015, 03:40 AM

You know, me guessing could possibly do more harm than good. I will say if it isn't projecting, is muddy, or sounds "like it's stuffed with socks", it's every bit as likely it too wet, as too dry.

It's probably limited to my demented mind, but I would swear, new string sets have quite variably tonal qualities I've uncorked some D'Addario EXP-16's that have sounded horribly dull. Maybe it's my aging ears, but brass 80/20, sounds better to me on any of my 6 strings than PB. (The 12's still get PB).

I would caution you about histrionics in relation to a course of action with your 214.

You have to buy a hygrometer, but you also have to give it "the salt test" to calibrate it, before you launch into giving your guitar sponge baths. Capesh?

Relax a spell,chill, Google "salt test".

Last edited by Captaincranky; 11-25-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:47 AM

Quote:
You know, me guessing could possibly do more harm than good. I will say if it isn't projecting, is muddy, or sounds "like it's stuffed with socks", it's every bit as likely it too wet, as too dry.

It's probably limited to my demented mind, but I would swear, new string sets have quite variably tonal qualities I've uncorked some D'Addario EXP-16's that have sounded horribly dull. Maybe it's my aging ears, but brass 80/20, sounds better to me on any of my 6 strings than PB. (The 12's still get PB).

I would caution you about histrionics in relation to a course of action with your 214.

You have to buy a hygrometer, but you also have to give it "the salt test" to calibrate it, before you launch into giving your guitar sponge baths. Capesh?

Relax a spell,chill, Google "salt test.

I would think it might be wet, but whenever I humidify it for a few hours, it gets back to its good tone for a few minutes before reverting to the poor tone. Any idea why the humidification last so shortly?
Old 11-25-2015, 03:52 AM

Quote:

Relax a spell,chill, Google "salt test.

To give you a sense of how my guitar sounds now vs. with full tone vs. different points throughout the last two years. I promise I am not trying to promote my YouTube channel.

Here's a video of its sound now (after living through two NYC winters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kqs1LU8IWA

Two months into second NYC winter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ97t2E2keM

One month into second NYC winter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aPtEyPP5xo

Almost full tone (2 months into NYC winter): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95LtUi88v4s

With (I think?) its full tone (1 month into NYC winter): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA6HZpfSJ68

And a few months earlier with even fuller tone (still summer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEefDPL-vtE

After having it in my case with my sponge humidifier for a few hours, it got back to the full tone (1 month into NYC winter video) for a few minutes of playing, but then I noticed it starting to revert back to the thin tone in the first video. Do I just need to humidify a bunch more and for longer periods of time to get the full tone to last for longer periods of time without constant humidification?

Last edited by moshei24; 11-25-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:18 AM

Dude, none of that helps. You're in three different places, with a capo on 3 different frets.

BTW, IIRC Sarah McLaughlin does "Angel" live, in D. (I know the tabs are written as Db).

You still have to establish what the average humidity in you living space is.

Couple that with the fact there's a lot of interior surface area within a guitar. So, letting one little sponge evaporate isn't squat.

Guitar repair shops often have humidity cabinets which can bring the a guitar up to optimum quickly. It could take a month with rinky dink case humidifiers.

Besides, I still think you're in partial denial of GAS. You're most likely tired of that guitar and consequently, it's never going to sound as good as it once did to you.

Now, I have a video for you:
Old 11-25-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Dude, none of that helps. You're in three different places, with a capo on 3 different frets.

BTW, IIRC Sarah McLaughlin does "Angel" live, in D. (I know the tabs are written as Db).

Couple that with the fact there's a lot of interior surface area within a guitar. So, letting one little sponge evaporate isn't squat.

Guitar repair shops often have humidity cabinets which can bring the a guitar up to optimum quickly. It could take a month with rinky dink case humidifiers.

Besides, I still think you're in partial denial of GAS. You're most likely tired of that guitar and consequently, it's never going to sound as good as it once did to you.

I'm in the same place for all of them except the oldest one. The rest are in the same room within two feet of each other (literally).

So what else can I do to speed up the humidification process without paying a bunch of money to a repair shop?

And definitely not GAS. I loved how it sounded for five minutes of playing after a few hours of humidification, and as other commenters have stated, there is a clear difference between how the guitar sounds now vs. in the past. Would I enjoy getting a new guitar? Of course. Everyone loves the adrenaline rush that comes with something new. But if I had to give up my Taylor to get a new guitar, I would most definitely not do so.

I bought a hyrdrogemeter today on Amazon, so will hopefully be able to test out the humidity tomorrow, assuming it arrives on time.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:

Just watched the video. Not sure how that's at all relevant to this thread, or were you just trying to troll me? My goal here isn't to dry out my guitar. So I don't see why learning about how a humidity chamber can destroy a guitar quickly is at all relevant.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshei24 View Post
I'm in the same place for all of them except the oldest one. The rest are in the same room within two feet of each other (literally).
Ok, but you are still in different keys, and different capo positions. There's no doubt in my mind, a capo affects the overall harmonic resonance of the guitar. (Any guitar)

Quote:
So what else can I do to speed up the humidification process without paying a bunch of money to a repair shop?
OK, I'm not going to get baited into this discussion at this point. Anything which has popped into my mind, would likely curdle your blood with the radical nature of it.

Quote:
And definitely not GAS. I loved how it sounded for five minutes of playing after a few hours of humidification, and as other commenters have stated, there is a clear difference between how the guitar sounds now vs. in the past. Would I enjoy getting a new guitar? Of course. Everyone loves the adrenaline rush that comes with something new. But if I had to give up my Taylor to get a new guitar, I would most definitely not do so.
All this talk of loyalty, admiration, and affection for your Taylor, which BTW I never said anything about getting rid of, is causing me to tear up a bit...

Quote:
I bought a hyrdrogemeter today on Amazon, so will hopefully be able to test out the humidity tomorrow, assuming it arrives on time.
Yes, but keep in mind, it won't be delivered tomorrow. When you get it, make sure to give it the salt test and then decide which direction to go with the guitar.

Happy Thanksgiving, peace out.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Just watched the video. Not sure how that's at all relevant to this thread, or were you just trying to troll me? My goal here isn't to dry out my guitar. So I don't see why learning about how a humidity chamber can destroy a guitar quickly is at all relevant.
OK, that's enough. If it takes days to bring a guitar down in humidity in a highly specialized chamber, that should serve as a guide for how long it might take to bring it up with a case sponge.

Besides, you're the one who has made the decision the guitar has dried out, and you have decided what course of action you're going to take.

As far as "Angel" goes, personally I would buy, and learn to play, a piano before I tackled it, (in the key of D).

Yes I'm speaking of that from the first person, and it has nothing to do with anyone else but me.

And don't you think "trolling" might been a bit harsh? I've pretty much been listening intently to your problem for the past couple of hours.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
OK, that's enough. If it takes days to bring a guitar down in humidity in a highly specialized chamber, that should serve as a guide for how long it might take to bring it up with a case sponge.

Besides, you're the one who has made the decision the guitar has dried out, and you have decided what course of action you're going to take.

As far as "Angel" goes, personally I would buy, and learn to play, a piano before I tackled it, (in the key of D).

Yes I'm speaking of that from the first person, and it has nothing to do with anyone else but me.

And don't you think "trolling" might been a bit harsh? I've pretty much been listening intently to your problem for the past couple of hours.

I only thought you might be trolling me with the video because of the tone/attitude all your posts have had. That chamber was aiming to take a guitar from normal condition to practically destroyed. I never said my guitar was bone dry or unplayable. As my videos display, my guitar is still quite playable; it just isn't at the level it should be. I'm trying to get an idea of how long it would need to be humidified to get back to normal.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:

And by the way, you might want to check out the Taylor videos of fixing cracks with sound hole humidifiers would took a few days, and that was with BIG cracks. Might shed some perspective, and is actually relevant.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
And by the way, you might want to check out the Taylor videos of fixing cracks with sound hole humidifiers would took a few days, and that was with BIG cracks. Might shed some perspective, and is actually relevant.
OK then, patience and sound hole humidifiers are the solution. Assuming the guitar is too dry.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
OK then, patience and sound hole humidifiers are the solution. Assuming the guitar is too dry.
Boy, for a cranky feller you are displaying infinite patience.

Congratulations sir. Great application of rule #1 in all your responses .
Old 11-25-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Boy, for a cranky feller you are displaying infinite patience.

Congratulations sir. Great application of rule #1 in all your responses .
Yeah, I'm starting to doubt that CaptainCranky moniker, CaptainSweety is more like it.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, decline in sound quality, taylor, tone