The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Yamahas
Old 06-20-2012, 12:18 PM

Eastman
Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM

I believe ALL guitars have some kind of tone. I guess a TONELESS guitar wouldn't make any kind of sound - a silent guitar... The question is whether or not you happen to like it. I like Taylors for their tone. I like Martins for their tone. I happen to love the Gibson tone. All good to my ears - just different.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
We are all entitiled to like whatever we like. It amazes me people get so upset when somebody likes something different than them, especially when it has absolutley zero impact on your life or happiness.

I do find it mildly interesting that Talyor folks, way out of proportion in my experience, seem to have a complex about their instruments, and are always comparing to Martins, or Gibsons, or posting justifications like this thread, a prefect example.

You don't need to convice me you like your Taylor(s), I really don't care, that's your business not mine, I'm happy you're happy! But don't try to convice me I need to like them or am missing something, I've played tons of Taylors and owned an 814ce, they don't work for me, period.

I don't need you to like what I prefer, Martins, and you shouldn't need me to like what you prefer, be it Taylors, or Gibsons or folks that prefer owning different brands.

Enjoy your journey and allow others to do the same............
I am not trying to persuade anyone to like one thing or another if you read what I wrote and watch the video you will see that I am just analysing what makes up tone and that is not the name on any headstock,

Iīm enjoying my Journey very much thank you I posted this here just as I thought some folk might find the frequency read outs interesting some of us do not use our Guitars as some sort of posturing device or status symbol and actually enjoy a dialectic approach to discovering knowledge, if you donīt then no skin of my nose. It is slightly disturbing to detect such narrow binary thinking in a number of responses a sign of the times I guess
Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G Lewis View Post
I am not trying to persuade anyone to like one thing or another if you read what I wrote and watch the video you will see that I am just analysing what makes up tone and that is not the name on any headstock,

Iīm enjoying my Journey very much thank you I posted this here just as I thought some folk might find the frequency read outs interesting some of us do not use our Guitars as some sort of posturing device or status symbol and actually enjoy a dialectic approach to discovering knowledge, if you donīt then no skin of my nose. It is slightly disturbing to detect such narrow binary thinking in a number of responses a sign of the times I guess
Yeah I couldn't figure that response out either. I couldn't find ANYTHING critical about Martins in your original post and that you MUST like the Taylor tone.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:51 PM

I just read the linked thread. Boy, am I glad no one asked about Ovations!

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 06-20-2012, 01:00 PM

I'll bet Taylor guitars sound like........well, guitars. People go on these sites and go into minute detail about the brand of strings they like so I would imagine that any difference between Taylors and Brand X, no matter how small, would create
differences of opinion amongst the guitar cognescenti. Meanwhile, after over 20 years as a professional entertainer, I have sadly observed that regardless of guitar brand chosen, most players receive accolades in direct proportion to their level of skill. It's just the way it is. Buy and play what you like. Nobody else really even cares.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Hi Roger,

I found your video interesting and I would be very interested to read the paper that you have authored that will be published by Purdue University (which is where I obtained my engineering degree some 42 years ago). I wonder how I could obtain a copy of it?

I understand that not all guitar players are going to be interested in the science behind your work, but I am. I found it fascinating and I'd like to know more...

Thank you,
Glenn
Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker View Post
Are there not more important things to do than get all wrapped-up in something like the frequency of guitar tones? What a waste. If you own a sweet guiitar (even if it's a Taylor....lol), enjoy it and don't waste time defending what needs no defense. No matter who you are and where you are in life, there are too many songs yet to be sung and too little time to sing them.

And I do believe that many Taylor owners are a bit thin-skinned on this tone/bass issue that Taylor bashers like to focus on. Hey, I'm not a Taylor guy. I'm a Gibson guy, but I'd have to be pretty-stupid to not recognize that Taylor makes some awesome instruments. My advice is to ignore the bashers (of whatever brand is being bashed). They are who they are and they need no logic or proof to believe what they believe. My advice to Taylor owners (in this particular instance) is to play-the-hell out of your Taylor and have a little pity on the fools. Most of them don't know a good guitar even when they're playing it.
I think you have perhaps missed my Point. In terms of waste I assume you mean of time. I am currently developing a Guitar Modelling Plug in and have been studying guitar tone in some depth for the past two years so I thought
Iīd explain a few things I had learned in a bit more depth. Not everybodys taste I know but I keep Bench notes with Screen Captures so of course I have footage which I occasionally put up on You Tube some people find it helpfull.

Heres SOme Variax 300 Line 6 A B back to backs no scopes in this but of course yes I have analysed a lot of this stuff too.
Vimeo MIDI CONVERSION PLUGIN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG2TTxjP1BM

VARIAX. MODEL COMPARISONS
General
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wdCCi8SZO4

VIS A VIS ACOUSTIC AND SOME MARTIN MODELS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wdCCi8SZO4

ES335 and ES330 VIS A VIS VARIAX models

There are others, which isnīt so surprising when its what I do during the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gWqSec13hA
Old 06-20-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
This sums up the discussion of life nicely.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Roger,

I found your video interesting and I would be very interested to read the paper that you have authored that will be published by Purdue University (which is where I obtained my engineering degree some 42 years ago). I wonder how I could obtain a copy of it?

I understand that not all guitar players are going to be interested in the science behind your work, but I am. I found it fascinating and I'd like to know more...

Thank you,
Glenn
Hi Glenn
the paper I mentioned is not my own one it is a study published by Mark French, Of Purdue University and may be downloaded in PDF from the following Link. I have a huge amount of material that I can point you in the direction of this really is a fascinating area of Digital Signal Processing and as Processing speeds increase Modeling and convolution plugins are really coming into their own Fishman Aura Spectrum, Line 6 Variax, Peavy and Parker with their AUTO intonating guitars. Thats even before getting into the Divided Pickup area. Also one of my favourites is the Kempner profiling amp. my plug in will do a similar thing for guitars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywDUAw7ck8g

Heres Mark Frenchīs paper
www.sandv.com/downloads/0801fren.pdf
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
We are all entitiled to like whatever we like. It amazes me people get so upset when somebody likes something different than them, especially when it has absolutley zero impact on your life or happiness.

I do find it mildly interesting that Talyor folks, way out of proportion in my experience, seem to have a complex about their instruments, and are always comparing to Martins, or Gibsons, or posting justifications like this thread, a prefect example.

You don't need to convice me you like your Taylor(s), I really don't care, that's your business not mine, I'm happy you're happy! But don't try to convice me I need to like them or am missing something, I've played tons of Taylors and owned an 814ce, they don't work for me, period.

I don't need you to like what I prefer, Martins, and you shouldn't need me to like what you prefer, be it Taylors, or Gibsons or folks that prefer owning different brands.

Wake up in the wrong side of the bed today? If you care less on the op's topic, then why even bother chiming in? Wonder why these threads take a crap so fast. At least the discussion adds some new thinking for the day other than seeing usual NGD.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Play your guitars and have a blast. Brand and cost mean nothing, except to an individual. Don't spend a moment of time fretting (pardon the pun) over what someone says about Taylor tone, Gibson tone, etc. etc. etc. The tone that "you" like is the only one that matters. And if you enjoy reading charts about guitar tone, then go for it. Have a blast with that too. Just remember that we own guitars to play them.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:51 PM

Do you think tone and responsiveness are related? I have a Goodall where the sound "jumps" out of the guitar but I guess one would have to describe it as "modern" voiced (but I like it). I have a Martin and Leach that don't "jump" but are more normally responsive (quite responsive as they are both mahogany and spruce) but have more of the old time tone. I would enjoy seeing charts of those 3 sound waves.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I am of the opinion that this occurs because the majority of Taylor fans are from the younger crowd who think they know everything and everyone NEEDS to hear their "wisdom & knowledge" (remember those days? )
That's a gross generalization and more than a little self righteous.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eqīs, frīs, headroom, tone