The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 AM

Default Another Recording Newb

I have just started recording with a Zoom H2 and Audacity. I am recording the first track, then exporting it as a wav. I then play the wav through an Ipod with headphones to record the additional tracks. Is there a way to monitor recorded tracks and record at the same time in Audacity? If so I missed it. If not, does anyone know if the Tascam 4 or 8 track portables do this? I find it to be much of a pain to align the tracks when recorded separately. Just a slight miss in alignment can really screw up the song unlike you are looking for the echo effect. Thanks for any assistance. I am trying to record rythym, lead runs, and voice harmonies.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 AM

I think if you click RECORD with the other track still in the project, whilst having a new track active, this will play the recorded audio back while you are recording.
Then again, I'm a REAPER user, but I'm sure Audacity does this exactly the same.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM

Hi DetMorris,

Launch Audacity and go to 'edit'>> 'preferences'>>'recording' and then check the box that says 'overdub'

Should be good to go.

Danno
Old 01-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetMorris View Post
I have just started recording with a Zoom H2 and Audacity. I am recording the first track, then exporting it as a wav. I then play the wav through an Ipod with headphones to record the additional tracks. Is there a way to monitor recorded tracks and record at the same time in Audacity? If so I missed it. If not, does anyone know if the Tascam 4 or 8 track portables do this? I find it to be much of a pain to align the tracks when recorded separately. Just a slight miss in alignment can really screw up the song unlike you are looking for the echo effect. Thanks for any assistance. I am trying to record rhythm, lead runs, and voice harmonies.
I think all of the multi-track (more than 2 tracks) portable recorders today are designed to do exactly what you want to do. The Tascam portables will do it, the Boss portables do it, and the Zoom H4 (and up) multi-track, too. I use the Boss BR864 (precursor to the BR900) and I can record up to 64 tracks with it, albeit I can only mix 8 tracks at a time. That has given me plenty of tracks to record multiple guitar parts, lush harmonies, drums, keyboards, bass and special effects.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks guys. Found it in the preferences. Check of the box and life was a lot easier.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 AM

It sounds like you're recording with the Zoom and then importing that into Audacity. If you are going to record everything on the Zoom and then import, the multi-tracking in Audacity isn't going to help you.

If you can plug the Zoom in to your computer and record directly into Audacity, then you're ok. Otherwise, you're still not recording over what you're playing back.

Or am I missing something?

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM

I am using the Zoom as an interface to Audacity via USB. I got that all to work fine. Until I found the preference setting to playback recorded tracks while recording a new one I was struggling with aligniing tracks. Found the setting change and it now does everything I wanted to do. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD