The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Default Cheap mic for home recording

Hi,

sorry if this thread has been done already but I had a brief look and couldn't find anything.

I'm looking for a cheap way to record songs onto my computer. It would be for guitar and voice primarily, but probably a bit of violin/cello and percussion as well. It's really just for fun and experience of how to write and build a song, so something low cost (I am an impoverished student after all). I understand though that a cheap mic will probably still set me back a fair bit (I'm hoping sub £100)

Any suggestions for a setup/mic?

Thanks...
Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM

I'd consider something like the Blue Yeti. It's a decent mic / computer interface all in one ~100 USD.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphon...4862929&sr=8-4
Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM

A samson C01 might be worth considering. Review here.

I use one of these with an ART Tube MP pre-amp (the old one without all the EQ). You'll easily get the mic and pre-amp for under £100.

Samson also do a USB version although it won't sound quite as good.

Last edited by moon; 01-12-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSlider View Post
Hi,

sorry if this thread has been done already but I had a brief look and couldn't find anything.

I'm looking for a cheap way to record songs onto my computer. It would be for guitar and voice primarily, but probably a bit of violin/cello and percussion as well. It's really just for fun and experience of how to write and build a song, so something low cost (I am an impoverished student after all). I understand though that a cheap mic will probably still set me back a fair bit (I'm hoping sub £100)

Any suggestions for a setup/mic?

Thanks...
Hi WaveSlider…
You might consider purchasing a Zoom H2 recorder, and plugging it into the USB port of your computer and using it as the mic(s). It has 4 internal mics - 2 pair of xy configured mics (90° and 120°)

Then in addition to using it for a mic, you have a stand alone recorder with great quality. And it has a camera tripod socket and comes with a mic stand adapter and some cute little feet to stand it on a table.

Actually it comes with earbuds, an 1/8 inch stereo to RCA cable, a mic clip adapter, tripod stand, USB cable, an AC adapter and a 512MB SD card, and it is firmware upgradable.

The H2 is right at your £100 mark.

For my money this is a far better option with more flexibility than a USB mic or just an interface.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-12-2011, 03:07 PM

this may also work:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Track-M...4868225&sr=1-1
Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Hi, I don't know if you're using an interface, but if you are, personally in that proce range I'd go for a Berhringer B-1, which is about 70 quid.

It's got a lovely sound and good for vocals and instruments. I've used one for years.

'08 Taylor 314ce
'00 Yamaha CPX-5 VS
'74 Telecaster Custom
Random Old Mandolin

1989 Vincent Bach Stradivarius ML (G) B-flat Trumpet
1991 Schilke E-flat and D Trumpet
1992 Schilke Picollo Trumpet
Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 PM

I got a matched pair of behringer C2's for less than five Hamiltons. If you want to hear what these sound like recorded, here you go:

http://martinmooremusic.com/Music.aspx

There are no FX (no reverb), and minimal EQ and a cheap recording program. I've been very happy with the results

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD