The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 08:57 AM

Default Discovered something kind of cool today

I nicked my 3rd left finger tip with a tomato knife last night. Not badly, but bad enough that I though I should do something about it. My wife had a bottle of "liquid bandage". You paint it on in places where a band-aid wouln't work, and it acts like a film over the wound.

I had never heard of it before, so to test it I put some on my first finger tip just to see what it'd do. Seemed to work as advertised, so I put it on the cut. So this morning, without even thinking about it, I began my practice routine. After a while, I noticed on my 1st and 3rd fingers, the callouses were not wearing as quickly as the other 2. I couldn't feel any difference when playing, so I put on the other 2.

Turns out the stuff works great as a 2nd skin! After an hour or so, it had mostly worn off, but my fingertips felt like when I first start in the morning. Pretty cool, huh? I'm going to try that on my next hot, sweaty gig where my fingers feel like they are bleeding at the end of the show.

BTW - the stuff is available at any drug or grocery store. Apparently I'm one of the only one's that didn't know about. Well, according to my wife anyway.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:12 AM

I thought about using liquid skin on my fretting hand as well.

I decided against it though.

Be careful if any of the ingredients can harm the finish on your guitar, I know it dries and your fingers probably don't touch the finish much, but the possibility is there.

Inactive Ingredients. Amyl acetate, camphor, ethyl acetate, ethyl alcohol, n-butyl acetate, nitrocellulose

MGF
Old 09-04-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

If my wife wasn't a nurse, I probably wouldn't know about it either. It is a must have in our house.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:59 AM

You say it wore off in about an hour. Where did it go.?? Might be time for a string change.?? …….
Old 09-04-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
You say it wore off in about an hour. Where did it go.?? Might be time for a string change.?? …….
Yea, I thought about that, but there is no evidence left behind. I think it kinda just flakes off, like a fine dust? It dries quickly, so nothing stuck to the guitar or strings.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:15 AM

Whoops, mistaken reply. Please delete.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:00 PM

Being a bowler there is a product or used to be anyway called NuSkin. Some bowlers tend to get blisters or tear the skin on their thumbs. The guys that do these are usually the guys that throw the big hooks and with a lot of speed.

Put this stuff on your thumb and your good for the night. I do see a lot of bowlers using super glue for the same purpose.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion