The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-23-2020, 08:05 AM

Default Guild Jumbo - Neck seam split

I have a jumbo guild. On the back of the neck the finish has split down the middle of the neck from headstock to the body of the guitar. Its not the neck wood has split but just the finish. Has anybody else experience this? And what would be the cause of this. Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:14 AM

Is it a laminated neck made of several pieces of wood glued the length of the neck, or is it one piece of wood?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:06 AM

Its a Guild JF-55R model. Looks like its pieces glued together. I will post a picture shortly
Old 07-23-2020, 09:08 AM

Default Neck split

https://imgur.com/gallery/X9noeA0
Old 07-23-2020, 09:18 AM

enlarging the photo in imagur as much as it allows, it appears to be just finish failure, but a totally weird one. I've NEVER seen anything like that. What caused it is the big concern. Has the guitar been exposed to extreme dryness lately?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:42 AM

Looks like movement along the glue joint on one side of the center strip has caused the finish fracture.

Glue failure or dis-similar shrinkage/expansion of the wood components. Likely more than just cosmetic.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:45 AM

Yikes!

The neck is laminated pieces the length of the neck. One potential disadvantage of this type of construction is differential wood movement in response to seasonal humidity changes. That, and what appears to be a VERY thick finish, are possible causes. Could be some issue with the application of the finish.

Assuming that the wood beneath it is, as you say, not split, you're into finish repairs. One option might be a lot of CA glue. Another, if nitro, is applying some nitro. Last, neck refinish. I'd suggest seek a skilled professional for any of those options. The complete neck refinish will be the most expensive, obviously.

I have no idea of the age of the instrument, how it has been cared for, or if Guild would do the work under warranty. I'd start by contacting Guild to see if they are aware of this on other of their guitars. I'd also ask what type of finish has been used and about a warranty repair, depending on the history of the guitar.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Thanks everyone for the information. The neck wood has not split at least to my eyes. Sound wise there is no difference. The guitar was kept in a case but not humidified - but now is. It was not used very much for the past couple of years and was thinking about selling it. When I took it out of the case today is when I notice the split. The guitar is about 15 years old. Sounds great and plays fine. Its just weird how the finish split along a seem.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:08 PM

That looks to me to be an effect of temperature more than dryness, the outer lamination looks like it has "slipped" a little. Temperatures above 100° might cause this, especially if combined with dryness.
Have a pro take a look.
et al
Old 07-23-2020, 06:14 PM

Have it looked at, i suspect the truss rod is pushing a wee bit too much against the centre maple strip which is going to simply get worse if not addressed now

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair