The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:15 PM

Anyone else have input?
Old 11-25-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshei24 View Post
Anyone else have input?
Yeah. When not playing your guitar you should keep it in it's case with a humidifier. Relative humidity (RH) here, in Michigan, can drop to as low as 10% to 15% in the winter. I have found that keeping my guitar in it's case with humidipacks and a hygrometer keeps it properly humidified. I also use a room humidifier to keep the room properly humidified.

So, play your guitar but keep it in it's case with humidifying devices when you aren't playing your guitar.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshei24 View Post
I would think it might be wet, but whenever I humidify it for a few hours, it gets back to its good tone for a few minutes before reverting to the poor tone. Any idea why the humidification last so shortly?
There's no way the wood's moisture content changes that quickly. A few hours to humidify and a few minutes to dry out? No way.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-25-2015, 01:55 PM

After reviewing the posts...
DONT DO ANYTHING TILL YOU OBTAIN, CALIBRATE, AND USE A HYGROMETER.

If you don't have any idea what the actual humidity is.
So, you could very easily go the wrong direction with the treatment of your issue.

Ymmv but to my ear my guitars sound better closer to 45% humidity, than 55%.

You changed the strings two weeks ago. If you put on Elixirs, you may have to "endure them" a bit longer till they play in.
It is my opinion that coated strings sound kind of muffled on most guitars till they hit some "tipping point" and start to sound good. Again, YMMV.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-25-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
There's no way the wood's moisture content changes that quickly. A few hours to humidify and a few minutes to dry out? No way.
I tried to explain that earlier, with a Taylor video of a humidification chamber at work.

It took 3 days to desiccate the guitar to 15% RH. I have to assume the inverse would be true, and it would take the relatively same amount of time to bring the now desiccated guitar, back up to were it was, using the same equipment.

So, a humidity chamber is likely more effective than a sponge in the case.

I have to say, I've always experienced the inverse issue from that of the TS, as my guitars have always sounded worse, and had a higher playing action, during periods of high humidity.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
After reviewing the posts...
DONT DO ANYTHING TILL YOU OBTAIN, CALIBRATE, AND USE A HYGROMETER.
I mentioned that earlier. But then I was accused of "trolling", so I chose not to pursue it.

Quote:
If you don't have any idea what the actual humidity is.
So, you could very easily go the wrong direction with the treatment of your issue.
Yup. I either said or implied that earlier as well.

Quote:
Ymmv but to my ear my guitars sound better closer to 45% humidity, than 55%.
Yeah, I live in the Delaware Valley, use kerosene space heaters, and can't afford 68 degree air conditioning. (More like 78 to 80 settings on the air). I normally don't have to give humidity much thought. When my guitars start to sound crappy, I do something really radical, turn off the TV.

I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to explain to another old guy, how one expects an accurate tonal evaluation of the subject guitar be made, when you post 3 videos from 2 (?) different locations, with a capo on 3 different frets.

Quote:
You changed the strings two weeks ago. If you put on Elixirs, you may have to "endure them" a bit longer till they play in.
It is my opinion that coated strings sound kind of muffled on most guitars till they hit some "tipping point" and start to sound good. Again, YMMV.
Those darned Elixirs! Last week there was a thread suggesting they're the culprits behind, "all Taylor guitar sounding alike".

Last edited by Captaincranky; 11-25-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky View Post
I mentioned that earlier. But then I was accused of "trolling", so I chose not to pursue it.

Yup. I either said or implied that earlier as well.

Yeah, I live in the Delaware Valley, use kerosene space heaters, and can't afford 68 degree air conditioning. (More like 78 to 80 settings on the air). I normally don't have to give humidity much thought. When my guitars start to sound crappy, I do something really radical, turn off the TV.

I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to explain to another old guy, how one expects an accurate tonal evaluation of the subject guitar be made, when you post 3 videos from 2 (?) different locations, with a capo on 3 different frets.

Those darned Elixirs! Last week there was a thread suggesting they're the culprits behind, "all Taylor guitar sounding alike".
You were accused of trolling for sending an irrelevant video. Again, watch the videos where Bob fixes a guitar. No humidity chamber needed.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:38 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I think that's probably enough.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, decline in sound quality, taylor, tone