The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Default zoom Q3HD? or apogee one + mac camera?

Is this the best there is, if I want to record on youtube with a video? I have a mac.....

I tried recording with my mac book pro mic that came with the guitar, and it sucks.

or is it better to get apogee one, and use my macbook pro camera.

Which one would give me better sound and picture quality? I am a noob when it comes to this...
Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 PM

My recommendation is to get a audio-only device (such as the Zoom H2) and a portable camera. This gives you the flexibility of putting your mic closer to the sound source, if you so desire. I have a DSLR that shoots really nice video, but I find that I can't really use that on my own (to shoot myself), as it requires to much manual intervention. So, I have a Kodak Zi8 which I use for video. It's decent. I'd say the video is comparable to the Q3HD. There may be even better options. Woot occasionally has portable video recorders. The Zi8 + the Zoom H2 cost about what the Q3HD costs.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 PM

h4n or h2? for better sound quality? ugh so many choices.....
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM

If you don't need the preamps for external mics, I'd say just go for the H2. It's like $100 less, and, based on my use (I have both), comparable in quality. I expect Fran to chime in here any minute, but as he (and others) have said in the past, most of the time they just use the H2 (I'm talking about those that have both).
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetaylors View Post
Is this the best there is, if I want to record on youtube with a video? I have a mac.....

I tried recording with my mac book pro mic that came with the guitar, and it sucks.

or is it better to get apogee one, and use my macbook pro camera.

Which one would give me better sound and picture quality? I am a noob when it comes to this...
Hi Ilt…
I've done a lot of video/audio and the best results are always when I use my Zoom H2 on a short tripod just out of frame for the audio, and whatever video source I have at hand - inlcuding my iPod, iPad, point-n-shoot camera, LX5 Lumix camera, Canon EOS camera (all of which shoot 720p or 1080p HD video)

Even though we have a HD camera on our iMac, I'd not use it because it's hard to frame things well.

The best audio I've heard from using a Q3HD is from really close, so close the video is wonky. This is why I prefer using the Zoom H2 for audio capture, and then take better video. When I have to use a camera and make audio my focus, the camera has to be really close to accommodate the mic, or I have to plug in aux audio sources.

I just want to make fairly quick-n-dirty recordings (I'm not making/promoting a DVD or music video). I'm sharing guitar concepts online.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ilt…
I've done a lot of video/audio and the best results are always when I use my Zoom H2 on a short tripod just out of frame for the audio, and whatever video source I have at hand - inlcuding my iPod, iPad, point-n-shoot camera, LX5 Lumix camera, Canon EOS camera (all of which shoot 720p or 1080p HD video)

Even though we have a HD camera on our iMac, I'd not use it because it's hard to frame things well.

The best audio I've heard from using a Q3HD is from really close, so close the video is wonky. This is why I prefer using the Zoom H2 for audio capture, and then take better video. When I have to use a camera and make audio my focus, the camera has to be really close to accommodate the mic, or I have to plug in aux audio sources.

I just want to make fairly quick-n-dirty recordings (I'm not making/promoting a DVD or music video). I'm sharing guitar concepts online.

Wow thanks for that Lj!!!! Seems like most people would like to record video and sound separate then record it together. Interesting!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetaylors View Post
Wow thanks for that Lj!!!! Seems like most people would like to record video and sound separate then record it together. Interesting!!!
Real movie cameras don't even have audio recording capability. Real movies have always been shot with separate audio. The quality of the audio circuitry in video cameras is embarrassing until you get well over the $2000 mark, except for the Zoom cameras. And the Q3HD delivers average video quality at a premium price due to the demand for better audio.

I've done some blog posts that relate to some of the questions in this thread.

Using the Q3HD with the Zoom H2 as a powered mic: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...t-the-zoom-h2/

Using the Q basically as an audio recorder while shooting video on a Panny GH2: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...era-new-video/

Shooting odd angles to get closer with the Q: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...the-zoom-q3hd/

Comparing audio quality of H2 and H4n: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/

Using REAPER to sync audio and video: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...deo-in-reaper/ but since you're on a Mac you probably have better options. REAPER video has been trailing on the Mac, it seems.

Hi, ferg <grin>.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD