The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 PM

Default Zoom H2 Timing Issue When Used in Audacity

I love my Zoom H2, but am having some issues if I use it as a mic for multitrack recordings straight into Audacity (Windows). When I insert a click track and record track 1 (acoustic guitar, for example), the recording is always a little behind the click track, even when I know my tempo has been pretty much dead-on with the metronome. And every subsequent track is a little off from the previous, even though I'm certain my timing is good.

It makes a 3 or 4 track recording sound like a train wreck.

I'm using the Zoom H2 through a USB 2.0 cable straight into a pretty new computer. Is there something in the hardware or software or even the cables that might be causing this?

Thanks!
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
...I'm using the Zoom H2 through a USB 2.0 cable straight into a pretty new computer. Is there something in the hardware or software or even the cables that might be causing this?
Hi Glen…
In Audacity the preferences under RECORDING there is adjustment for latency control.

I believe there are two adjustments - the first pertaining to the actual recording, and I think the other setting realigns the track when you are finished with the recording.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Glen…
In Audacity the preferences under RECORDING there is adjustment for latency control.

I believe there are two adjustments - the first pertaining to the actual recording, and I think the other setting realigns the track when you are finished with the recording.

Larry,

Thanks so much. As usual, you nailed it. I'm glad to know there is such a thing as latency and that I'm not crazy. I was beginning to think that either my ear or my timing was off without me being aware of it. I did some searching and found that the new Audacity has some ways to test latency and all. I will play with it this evening and report back.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 08-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
Larry,

Thanks so much. As usual, you nailed it. I'm glad to know there is such a thing as latency and that I'm not crazy. I was beginning to think that either my ear or my timing was off without me being aware of it. I did some searching and found that the new Audacity has some ways to test latency and all. I will play with it this evening and report back.
Hi Glen…
Every interface and software has latency issues. It's part of the package and learning to work with it is part of the learning curve for recordists...whether pro or at-home.

Have fun!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD